• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEFLATION: Comin-in strong

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    Is there any condensation issues with a big oil tote and taking a long time to use it up or separation issues with ingredients in the oil? I only have cold storage and found that the steel 205 liter drums were getting moisture inside them and I went back to pails.
    We have had bulk delivered into 1000 litre totes for several years now
    In cold storage , condensation not an issue
    Just cleaned out a few totes and set them up on pallets, one for hydraulic fluid , one for 15-40
    Half price of pails

Comment

Fed Chair Powell’s additional 75 point rate hike announced this aft is just another sword in asset values. Cash has turned into king as this sell-off gains momentum . . . .

Comment

Canadian tire today
        T6 0w40 full synthetic $149 18.9 liter
        Coop 0w40 $179 20 liter

Comment

Still looking for deflation. Had to repair the pto shaft yesterday on my feed wagon. A new u-joint, a 1.25 x 3.25, was $105. A 1.25 inch extended race bearing was $100. Price of stuff is just ridiculous!! 2 u-joints, 2 1.25 inch bearings, one standard, one extended race, 2 pillow blocks for the bearings, just over $400 total. Yup prices are in a deflationary spiral! Fml.

Comment

Interest rate hikes, high energy prices, and war will continue to put pressure on an already damaged supply chain. Keynsianism, the school of thought taught in Universities, is the surest way to communism. John Meynard Keynes even admitted it. Without the return to a sound monetary system outside the control of private central banksters there is no way out of this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
              Still looking for deflation. Had to repair the pto shaft yesterday on my feed wagon. A new u-joint, a 1.25 x 3.25, was $105. A 1.25 inch extended race bearing was $100. Price of stuff is just ridiculous!! 2 u-joints, 2 1.25 inch bearings, one standard, one extended race, 2 pillow blocks for the bearings, just over $400 total. Yup prices are in a deflationary spiral! Fml.
              Remember outputs, not inputs, are in a deflationary spiral. Equipment parts will be the last to start dropping. That is what happened in the early 80's. Checked oat bids and they are less than the sale I made 2 weeks ago. Wheat off sharply yesterday. Crude oil almost half of the $146 it was in July 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                Remember outputs, not inputs, are in a deflationary spiral. Equipment parts will be the last to start dropping. That is what happened in the early 80's. Checked oat bids and they are less than the sale I made 2 weeks ago. Wheat off sharply yesterday. Crude oil almost half of the $146 it was in July 2008.
                Lumber has been crushed, down 50% since spring . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                  I started using Walmart Trans hydraulic as it was a lot cheaper to keep extra around to refill after blown hoses.
                  Have an old 6400 FWA with 17000 hrs that has seen a lot of 15-40 over the yrs. Use coop synthetic in the winter.
                  A guy who said he worked in the lab at the Coop refinery told me there was nothing wrong with it.
                  The price seems to stay the same no mater what a barrel of oil is worth.
                  Used to buy JD +50 on the annual sale.
                  I have been buying Walmart oil 15W40 and Universal Tractor Fluid for at least 10 years. I run 15-40 yr old equipment.
                  Its a mental block.
                  Walmart oil is at least 40% less expensive than Coop. I end up in the city for repairs so I fill the truck box a couple times. The savings are enough to pay for fuel, wear and my time.
                  I like Coop oil and used to like the convenience of grabbing from local store. The price difference is too much to ignore especially when Coop owns the refinery. They are really sticking it to the farmers when it comes to oil.
                  So, a little forward planning and behaviour changes. Goto city, add an extra hour and load the truck with Walmart oil.

Comment

We went from $9 / litre in pails to $3.50 in bulk … same Petro Can oil .

Comment

The phrase, you get what you pay for comes to mind.
                      I sometimes buy the cheap oil from Walmart or Napa or Canadian tire to run in the old equipment. And by old I mean 40 to 60 years old, they burn oil. One tractor in particular remember keeping track and with brand name oil took 60 hours after an oil change before I had to add oil the first time. With the same grade of off-brand oil, it was low enough within 20 hours that it lost oil pressure. There's something significantly different about the viscosity or properties of the cheap oil that caused that. And I assume that is not doing any favors for the rest of the components. Not much savings when they consume that much more oil either.
                      Unscientifically, it even seems more watery at the same temperature.
                      With Trans hydraulic oil it is harder to compare the effects. But rebuilding transmissions power shifts and hydraulic pumps makes engine overhauls look cheap. So in most things I still use brand name trans hydraulic oil, whichever is on sale.
                      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 13, 2022, 08:57.

Comment

i think rotella is good quality tho ?

Comment

How fast are prices going to drop??

With Ukraine/Russia war premium diminishing, energies, grains, fertilizer could all be impacted.

Central bankers totally lost. Rate cuts possible in 2023 in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post

With Ukraine/Russia war premium diminishing, energies, grains, fertilizer could all be impacted.

Your talking grain prices dropping fast ?

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post

How fast do you expect the deflationary effects of $3 per litre diesel fuel to ripple through the broader economy?

Comment

Putin is obviously not done destroying Ukraine…

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...