• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Canada, Unifor reach tentative deal that includes $2B in EV contracts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LEP View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I have no problem with supplemental renewable as long as we don't have to build new baseload to back it up because of the green shift.
    Already happening. New gas plants at Swift and now probably Moose Jaw. Coal will be phased out unless they put carbon capture on Shand which Sask Power has already Said they do not favour because of cost. Hydro imports and gas will cover a lot of baseload.

I might vote Sask Party if hell freezes over which A5 is predicting will occur due to a shortage of CO2 sometime between now and eternity! So you never know! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
      My thoughts exactly. I have no problem with supplemental renewable as long as we don't have to build new baseload to back it up because of the green shift.
      Already happening. New gas plants at Swift and now probably Moose Jaw. Coal will be phased out unless they put carbon capture on Shand which Sask Power has already Said they do not favour because of cost. Hydro imports and gas will cover a lot of baseload.

I might vote Sask Party if hell freezes over which A5 is predicting will occur due to a shortage of CO2 sometime between now and eternity! So you never know! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Figured. You running for the NDP again or did they parachute a naive University student from Saskatoon to run in your riding?

Comment

Whaat? I am not running in any election! LOL

Just a landowning capitalist farmer bringing in the harvest! It's turning out to be a darn good one!

Comment

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/sunrun-lands-20mw-backup-battery-solar-contract-for-northern-california-communities https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/sunrun-lands-20mw-backup-battery-solar-contract-for-northern-california-communities

Sunrun Lands Contract for 20MW Backup Battery-Solar Project in Blackout-Prone California

It will be one of the largest solar-battery aggregations for grid services to date, and the deployment timeline is aggressive.

"Sunrun is in the midst of deploying solar-battery systems for grid services in multiple states, including a 20-megawatt deployment in New England to provide capacity starting in 2022 and a contract to install up to 1,000 of its Brightbox batteries by 2024 to provide grid services to utility Hawaiian Electric.

Last month it won contracts with California utility Southern California Edison and New York utility Orange & Rockland, a Con Edison subsidiary, each of which will target up to 300 Brightbox-equipped homes to turn their systems over to utility control in exchange for credits or installation discounts.

But this new deployment represents Sunrun’s largest aggregation to date along such an aggressive timeline and the first to prioritize backup power. That could help test the company’s long-standing proposition that solar-storage systems could become a central part of California’s long-term grid resiliency goals.

PG&E withdrew its plan to deploy hundreds of megawatts of natural-gas-fired generators at substations earlier this year amid opposition from CCAs, communities and environmental groups. As a stopgap measure, the utility has readied up to 450 megawatts of mobile diesel generators for communities in high-fire-threat regions. But the CPUC has ordered PG&E to come up with alternatives to using these polluting generators as quickly as possible.

Networks of solar-battery systems could provide a cleaner option, and CCAs and solar and battery industry groups have pressed for policies that could integrate them into broader utility efforts to mitigate the worst impacts of fire-prevention blackouts.

While there are questions about whether individual solar-battery systems can be relied on for backup power during outages that last days, the 9.8-kilowatt-hour capacity of a Brightbox battery can last for days as long as it’s able to recharge from its solar panels by day and is powering a reduced set of essential loads, Smallwood said. And unlike a centralized microgrid or emergency backup power system, even newly installed systems can "actually impact households within days of when we reach them.”

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/sunrun-lands-20mw-backup-battery-solar-contract-for-northern-california-communities https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/sunrun-lands-20mw-backup-battery-solar-contract-for-northern-california-communities

Sunrun Lands Contract for 20MW Backup Battery-Solar Project in Blackout-Prone California

It will be one of the largest solar-battery aggregations for grid services to date, and the deployment timeline is aggressive.

"Sunrun is in the midst of deploying solar-battery systems for grid services in multiple states, including a 20-megawatt deployment in New England to provide capacity starting in 2022 and a contract to install up to 1,000 of its Brightbox batteries by 2024 to provide grid services to utility Hawaiian Electric.

Last month it won contracts with California utility Southern California Edison and New York utility Orange & Rockland, a Con Edison subsidiary, each of which will target up to 300 Brightbox-equipped homes to turn their systems over to utility control in exchange for credits or installation discounts.

But this new deployment represents Sunrun’s largest aggregation to date along such an aggressive timeline and the first to prioritize backup power. That could help test the company’s long-standing proposition that solar-storage systems could become a central part of California’s long-term grid resiliency goals.

PG&E withdrew its plan to deploy hundreds of megawatts of natural-gas-fired generators at substations earlier this year amid opposition from CCAs, communities and environmental groups. As a stopgap measure, the utility has readied up to 450 megawatts of mobile diesel generators for communities in high-fire-threat regions. But the CPUC has ordered PG&E to come up with alternatives to using these polluting generators as quickly as possible.

Networks of solar-battery systems could provide a cleaner option, and CCAs and solar and battery industry groups have pressed for policies that could integrate them into broader utility efforts to mitigate the worst impacts of fire-prevention blackouts.

While there are questions about whether individual solar-battery systems can be relied on for backup power during outages that last days, the 9.8-kilowatt-hour capacity of a Brightbox battery can last for days as long as it’s able to recharge from its solar panels by day and is powering a reduced set of essential loads, Smallwood said. And unlike a centralized microgrid or emergency backup power system, even newly installed systems can "actually impact households within days of when we reach them.”
              So Chuck2 there are two conditions for this battery to last for days it must be able to recharge during the day from solar panels and “is powering a reduced set of essential loads”. So in Alberta when it is -30 and the middle of winter with reduced daylight hours who decides what is an essential load?! Say what you will in my opinion it still doesn’t make sense or cents!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                So Chuck2 there are two conditions for this battery to last for days it must be able to recharge during the day from solar panels and “is powering a reduced set of essential loads”. So in Alberta when it is -30 and the middle of winter with reduced daylight hours who decides what is an essential load?! Say what you will in my opinion it still doesn’t make sense or cents!!
                As long as we have sufficient base load from wind, hydro, natural gas, and whatever become available you got nothing to worry about. Solar is better suited to California and Australia but it also works well in the southerN prairies to reduce fossil fuel use whenever possible. So you are okay if we use whatever works and what utilities decide they can manage? Or are you saying we should do nothing about carbon emissions and climate change? Because Otoole is in favour the Paris climate accord so almost every politician in Canada wants to do something to reduce greenhouse gas emissions!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  “Supplemental renewable generation”, Tweety please show me where Elizabeth May, Jagmeet Singh or David Suzuki are suggesting that. You and Chuck2 are not suggesting or promoting that either. You want fossil fuel based generation eliminated. I have asked many times how building 4 generation systems to do the job of one is efficient, good for the environment and makes sense. You or Chuck2 have never addressed this. I have stated many times that I have no problem with renewables, what I have a problem with is renewables being promoted as a base load source of electricity, it will not work in Alberta 365 days a year!
                  It is about burning fossil fuels. Reduce that with supplemental, reduce the problem. Having a solar cell sitting there during certain periods is no where near the environmental load as burning coal or natural gas 100% of the time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...