• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatoon seed royalty meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
    I’ll assume Bucket that was meant for me. Yes I’m fourth generation but my family doesn’t have succession issues. My great grandfather and grandfather all left farming in their fifties. My dad quit working on the farm besides helping here and there when I came back from university when I was 22 years old. I have been runnning the farm in its entirety since then have have tripled in size. All while working for almost 10 years in Ottawa helping to get rid of the CWB amongst other things. I actually get involved instead of being a know it all who sits behind a key board criticizing everything and everyone.
    Ok the next time it was mentioned was by you as well...

Comment

Bloody wheat. 90% politics. Any deficiencies in the industry are a result of head in the sand politics. For 100 damn years now. The process to dismantle the board is an example of how difficult it is to get anything done.
      Amazing how this semi worthless crop creates religious like positions.
      Most on here, myself included, aren't capable of being successful in the political world. If vvalk was part of the process, my hat's off to him. It really is like changing the course of a glacier.
      It wasn't perfect but it couldn't be and still get done.
      The concept of investment in reasearch is a no brainer. The money is the problem.
      But like everything else it will never be perfect.
      The concerns mentioned on Wienerville are valid but the position of many are akin to wrestling a pig in the mud. Increasingly left behind perhaps as well.
      Yes this funding model has been talked about for years. For years we've seen it coming and yet here we are, the same infighting.
      I'm puzzled by durum.
      Develop a fuzz resistance or quit growing it. Thankfully canola for all it's rip offs, works on clubroot research to a point.
      Trains. I'm being simplistic, but if we started paying more for service we'd get more service. They've been hinting at getting rid of the rail cap for years, it's gonna go someday.

Comment

vvalk, what traits are going to make us more money? Just proven to you that grade and quality and fusarium don't matter to buyers if they can get it cheap enough and in fact they are shunning high quality stuff.

I know exactly where your seed model is going. It will be just like canola. Oh we have this wonderful new hybrid but you have to pour the groceries to it to unlock the potential. Be the same fing thing with wheat. Probably breed in a proprietary chemical trait or some shit too. We will just be beholden to chem and fert companies even more than we are now.

Tell us exactly what traits are coming down the pipeline that will put more cash in my pocket and customers will flock to?

Comment

Just another point on the meeting. One fellow went to the mic stating that we was from Idaho and he had the accent as he went on to tell us " What ever you guys do don't change a thing! Don't ever let your system change! Just keep it the way it is now because he would really hate to have to compete against us."

His statement was dripping with sarcasm and he got a chuckle out of the crowd. He sounded like Hobby talking about organics on here!

Dose anyone have an opinion on what his motives might be?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Bloody wheat. 90% politics. Any deficiencies in the industry are a result of head in the sand politics. For 100 damn years now. The process to dismantle the board is an example of how difficult it is to get anything done.
            Amazing how this semi worthless crop creates religious like positions.
            Most on here, myself included, aren't capable of being successful in the political world. If vvalk was part of the process, my hat's off to him. It really is like changing the course of a glacier.
            It wasn't perfect but it couldn't be and still get done.
            The concept of investment in reasearch is a no brainer. The money is the problem.
            But like everything else it will never be perfect.
            The concerns mentioned on Wienerville are valid but the position of many are akin to wrestling a pig in the mud. Increasingly left behind perhaps as well.
            Yes this funding model has been talked about for years. For years we've seen it coming and yet here we are, the same infighting.
            I'm puzzled by durum.
            Develop a fuzz resistance or quit growing it. Thankfully canola for all it's rip offs, works on clubroot research to a point.
            Trains. I'm being simplistic, but if we started paying more for service we'd get more service. They've been hinting at getting rid of the rail cap for years, it's gonna go someday.
            Okay pay more for better service but what if that doesn't happen and what happens when things are slow, it seems grain is the go to money maker...

As an example Evraz gets power charges reduced if they shutdown at supper time to allow power to the heavy use of households....

Same could be done with rail service....a higher rate for heavy movement...like harvest and a lower rate for off season....but they still need the capacity to do it...as mentioned earlier I think its stupid in this day and age that as you sign new crop contracts for 100 tonnes in February for september delivery....the graincos can't start building trains and ordering the cars for that time frame....

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              Just another point on the meeting. One fellow went to the mic stating that we was from Idaho and he had the accent as he went on to tell us " What ever you guys do don't change a thing! Don't ever let your system change! Just keep it the way it is now because he would really hate to have to compete against us."

His statement was dripping with sarcasm and he got a chuckle out of the crowd. He sounded like Hobby talking about organics on here!

Doesn't matter ....farmers are well subsidized in the US....

Comment

I figured I'd get a rise out of u bucket lol. Until the federal govt grows a pair over utilities and rights of way, and mandatory service yada yada, while letting business work naturally, we're always gonna have problems. Lumber shippers currently testing minimum service legislation I read.
                Eternal problem with govts. Carry a big stick while staying out of the way.
                Could be applied to grain industry as a whole right? Seed, transport, transparency. Basically why the dinosaurs went extinct. Their brain was the size of a walnut and was way too far from it's ass. Died because it couldn't get shit right. Same as Ottawa.
                Kinda why we need to be there somehow..

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  I figured I'd get a rise out of u bucket lol. Until the federal govt grows a pair over utilities and rights of way, and mandatory service yada yada, while letting business work naturally, we're always gonna have problems. Lumber shippers currently testing minimum service legislation I read.
                  Eternal problem with govts. Carry a big stick while staying out of the way.
                  Could be applied to grain industry as a whole right? Seed, transport, transparency. Basically why the dinosaurs went extinct. Their brain was the size of a walnut and was way too far from it's ass. Died because it couldn't get shit right. Same as Ottawa.
                  Kinda why we need to be there somehow..
                  Sure that's OK. ...but honestly don't you think things could change for the better like car ordering early and logistics.....

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post

After meeting he and MP Randy hoback and Cherilyn Jolly were havin a love in over in the corner

Kicked my ass I never got up to speak my mind after listening to some of the BS from the front and from the floor. Miss Jolly definitely pissed me off as well as the Southern Gent. He has a Subsidized grain industry with ALOT more clout in govt than we do . As well as a Waterway to port that’s Subsidized by U.S Army Corp of Engineer.

Research scientist for NRC got up and said 20 years ago they worked on many different Beneficial Traits for Canola for Monsanto . They didn’t want any because “there was NO business case” for drought resistant,flea beetle resistant etc. The only one trait was pod shatter that came out of that.
                    He was PISSED that we would be Stupid enough to let Corporations take over

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                      The Open market has set us backwards? If that’s what you think it’s great for all the readers on here to know that’s what drives your perspectives. Your right I didn’t have anything to do with the phase out of the monopoly. Called my bluff
                      Either your drunk or I need to be because your going in circles.

And the open market has in many ways been a complete flop. Just because we got rid of something that became retarted doesn't mean we have to be giddy about about another thing that rips us off.

Any money needs to be spent on fairness in grading. Prices, opening markets, making it easier to deliver. I ve cut wheat acres way down because of all the waiting for buying a certain specific grade rhat my wheat isn't but I have to sell it at that because it's the only way to get rid of it. And to say that whoopy your durum is being sold as feed and that's good is totally cracked up. We re going to pay double our seed costs as we are now to what grow more feed durum? Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        New or old varieties are all priced off the same market conditions.....

And when one of the new varieties disrupts the market like the Triffid flax incident ....it won't matter what variety you are growing...

It also doesn't matter what variety you grow when you have a Prime Minister pissing off all of our importers....

Or an infrastructure system that can't handle higher volumes.....

This is just a way for the industry to find the minions that will follow their rules.....the WCWGA are on board already...

now....where is the brick wall I can go bang my head on....
                        Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                          Wiseguys seed and research !

Taking Farmers money at every turn !

$$ Money in ag more than ever $$

Yup just think up some stupid project and get funding while compete against people that are still using hoes. ....and flailing their grain to thrash it.....that's the harsh reality....some don't understand....

Comment

Maybe what this is saying that Canada shouldn't be in the wheat game at all anymore. Is anybody really getting a win with this crop? Most seed it for rotation and to clean up fields.

We cant compete with the world on volume and our profits keep getting eroded by stupid shit, dysfunctional market to boot. Too many places growing it cheaper or subsidized then flooding the market using technology pioneered here. Maybe we have to move on to working our niche crops. Pulses, canola, barley. let them develop their varieties. Wont do them much good if nobody is growing anything.

Comment

The world comes to Canada for quality.
                              Importers can get ordinary wheat from anywhere.
                              Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan had 30% of the world wheat trade in 2017 and besides that sold their wheat for 30% less per tonne than Canada. Can't compete on price and they aren't going away.
                              Canada did 20.6 million tonnes in calendar year 2017 and will likely do at least that this year. It's over 10% of the world market and worth keeping.
                              #1 13.5 has averaged 240-245/tonne in Sask over the last 2 years. Yields of the big acre varieties were over 50 bpa in Sask in 2017.

Comment

It seems that quality reputation is under attack too 101.

http://www.nfu.ca/nfu-asks-cgc-commissioners-to-uphold-farmers-interests-and-canadas-grain-quality-standards/ http://https://www.nfu.ca/nfu-asks-cgc-commissioners-to-uphold-farmers-interests-and-canadas-grain-quality-standards/

I see why vvalk wants rid of the CGC, it's holding back his buddies on the seed file attempts to further weaken the farmers position.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...