• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrow Bang on!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the provinces that oppose a carbon tax also say they have a plan to cut emissions. What are the plans and how much will it cost?

When Moe commissioned a study on the cost of a carbon tax he took the cost of the tax out of the economy, but did not account for the fact that the tax would go back to the province, or through taxpayers or into other programs that would be part of the economy with almost no impact on GDP.

He's counting on the fact that most people don't pay attention to details. It was a bold face lie and deception by Moe.

Remember Brad Wall spent over $1.5 billion of tax payers money to build a carbon capture and storage unit at boundary 3. A very expensive way to reduce carbon emissions.

Saskpower just signed a deal to build 200 megawatt wind facility near Assiniboia. They also have a plan for 177 megawatt facility near Herbert. This is on top of 221 megawatts of existing wind facilities.

"It also factors into the 2030 SaskPower goal to have up to 50 per cent renewable generation by that year, and reducing power generation emissions by 40 per cent.

According to SaskPower, five per cent of electricity is currently produced by wind power, 221 megawatts. Their modelling shows wind power is expected to produce 30 per cent of the province’s electricity by 2030. The remainder of the 50 per cent will be covered mostly by hyrdo; along with solar, biomass and other sources."

Comment

How will farmers recoup the carbon taxes imposed on them? Diesel, freight, chemicals, parts, grain shipping, fertilizer, increased equipment costs, almost everthing a farmer does will be taxed. Do you think they will send you a cheque, hahahaha. Not funny!!!! This could actually make farming unsustainable!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        All the provinces that oppose a carbon tax also say they have a plan to cut emissions. What are the plans and how much will it cost?

When Moe commissioned a study on the cost of a carbon tax he took the cost of the tax out of the economy, but did not account for the fact that the tax would go back to the province, or through taxpayers or into other programs that would be part of the economy with almost no impact on GDP.

He's counting on the fact that most people don't pay attention to details. It was a bold face lie and deception by Moe.

Remember Brad Wall spent over $1.5 billion of tax payers money to build a carbon capture and storage unit at boundary 3. A very expensive way to reduce carbon emissions.

Saskpower just signed a deal to build 200 megawatt wind facility near Assiniboia. They also have a plan for 177 megawatt facility near Herbert. This is on top of 221 megawatts of existing wind facilities.

"It also factors into the 2030 SaskPower goal to have up to 50 per cent renewable generation by that year, and reducing power generation emissions by 40 per cent.

According to SaskPower, five per cent of electricity is currently produced by wind power, 221 megawatts. Their modelling shows wind power is expected to produce 30 per cent of the province’s electricity by 2030. The remainder of the 50 per cent will be covered mostly by hyrdo; along with solar, biomass and other sources."
        Get ready for Ontario size electricity bill.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
          In an AB REA it is already Ontario sized. A lot of homes in Ontario are heated by electricity. Even a geo thermal system is really electrical heat because it takes electricity to pump all that fluid through the tubes. Once you figure the gas heat cost here we are on par with Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            In an AB REA it is already Ontario sized....
            Yeah, and not because of a carbon tax - because of 45 years of Conservative Government and cronyism with their oil/gas and energy generation buddies.

Comment

Here are several examples of better batteries. Lithium batteries that power a 1/2 impact wrench on our farm are already much better and relatively cheap and long lasting. We have stopped using an air impact wrench for most jobs as the rechargeable Dewalt works so well and is a lot nicer without an air hose attached. Batteries in your phone. LED lights and rechargable batteries last for a long time.
              All are much improved.
              And the double standard for scientific evidence shines through yet again. Anecdotal evidence of incremental improvements in existing Lithium battery technology isn't the sustainable breakthrough that will be required to make the system viable, economically or environmentally.

I've got the newest Milwaukee big 1/2" impact, and the batteries are amazing, but cheap they are not, do the math on how many of those it will take to power your farm for the winter, and let us know how economical that is.

One more piece of anecdotal evidence that battery costs are not affordable for large scales. The resident troll did not install energy storage to go along with the solar panels, instead relying on the existing (primarily fossil fuel) energy grid for storage. Explain how cost wasn't a factor in that decision.

I'll offer more anecdotal evidence in return. Who here has a smart phone with more than a years use that can survive a full day on one charge?

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                How will farmers recoup the carbon taxes imposed on them? Diesel, freight, chemicals, parts, grain shipping, fertilizer, increased equipment costs, almost everthing a farmer does will be taxed. Do you think they will send you a cheque, hahahaha. Not funny!!!! This could actually make farming unsustainable!!!!
                Come on Breadwinner you are missing the point of this carbon scam.
                When you are out of business your fossil fuel footprint will be smaller.....meanwhile Gore, Suzuki and friends will continue to heat multiple mansions and jetset to climate conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                  New wind power is cheaper than new coal fired facilities. Especially cheaper than adding in carbon capture and storage. Prices for wind have come away down.

Sask Power is faced with retrofitting several coal units or shutting them down in the next few years. If they do anything then retrofitting over to natural gas would be a good interim step with large carbon emission reductions over coal.

Solar is currently a cheaper option under net metering for many farms and residences. Farms currently pay 11.8 cents per kwh and residences 14.2 cents per kwh. I have done a rough estimate that solar will cost 7-8 cents per kwh over the life span of 30 years. Panels come with a 25 year output guarantee of 80% output by year 25, which is the industry standard.

If Saskpower is forced by the government to choose carbon capture and storage with coal on more facilities then prices will go up substantially more.

Hydro Quebec has done a study comparing prices across North America.
                  http://www.hydroquebec.com/data/documents-donnees/pdf/comparison-electricity-prices.pdf

Our rates in Saskatchewan are only a little bit less expensive than Ontario large cities. I am not sure what rural residents pay in Ontario.
                  Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 22, 2018, 09:52.

Comment

Chuck and grass , I will ask again for the 4th time , how many of your units on farm are their 4 engines with complete DEF systems??? What are you doing in your farm do reduce emissions.
                    Most of us are not opposed to reducing emissions or forthat matter any pollution that we can . But I am sure those that bark the loudest are doing nothing speacial themselves .
                    This carbon tax is simply a wealth transfer scheme no matter how you dress it up .
                    A carbon tax will do nothing for climate change but force almost all of us out of business.
                    Wearealready payi g dearly for emissions controls and a carbon tax will not save one fukin penguin or polar bear orchange the climate.... ever .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      And the double standard for scientific evidence shines through yet again. Anecdotal evidence of incremental improvements in existing Lithium battery technology isn't the sustainable breakthrough that will be required to make the system viable, economically or environmentally.

I've got the newest Milwaukee big 1/2" impact, and the batteries are amazing, but cheap they are not, do the math on how many of those it will take to power your farm for the winter, and let us know how economical that is.

One more piece of anecdotal evidence that battery costs are not affordable for large scales. The resident troll did not install energy storage to go along with the solar panels, instead relying on the existing (primarily fossil fuel) energy grid for storage. Explain how cost wasn't a factor in that decision.

I'll offer more anecdotal evidence in return. Who here has a smart phone with more than a years use that can survive a full day on one charge?
                      Bloomberg predicts battery cost will come away down. They already have. There are so many battery powered options for consumers now it has been a rapid change. Built in obsolescence may be a factor in battery life. They may not be particularly cheap now but the future is a long time. 20-30 years ago we had bugger all for battery powered tools now we use them everyday and cost is not much of a factor.

My smart phone is at least 2-3 years old and lasts all day that I need it. It doesn't like to get cold though. Samsung batteries apparently last better in the cold.

There are other renewable storage options being developed and deployed besides batteries. You can bet that engineers are working hard to develop all kinds of new technology that will allow renewable energy to be stored.

You are correct, currently batteries are too expensive for my load requirements. But that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Chuck and grass , I will ask again for the 4th time , how many of your units on farm are their 4 engines with complete DEF systems??? What are you doing in your farm do reduce emissions.
                        Most of us are not opposed to reducing emissions or forthat matter any pollution that we can . But I am sure those that bark the loudest are doing nothing speacial themselves .
                        This carbon tax is simply a wealth transfer scheme no matter how you dress it up .
                        A carbon tax will do nothing for climate change but force almost all of us out of business.
                        Wearealready payi g dearly for emissions controls and a carbon tax will not save one fukin penguin or polar bear orchange the climate.... ever .
                        I have energy efficient buildings, furnaces,boilers. I have a solar system in the works to cover my average electricity usage. I don't have any tier 4 engines with DEF as I run a mix of tractors with just a few newer pieces with diesel particulate filters. But we try to reduce energy usage as much possible.
                        The biggest single energy input in crop agriculture is Nitrogen fertilizer. Unless you are using animal manure or growing a lot of legumes.

Comment

Much like the entire CAGW prophecies, always about what will happen, batteries will get cheap enough someday. And much like CAGW, the goalposts keep getting moved as milestone after milestone gets missed by miles.

Comment

I have energy efficient buildings, furnaces,boilers. I have a solar system in the works to cover my average electricity usage. I don't have any tier 4 engines with DEF as I run a mix of tractors with just a few newer pieces with diesel particulate filters. But we try to reduce energy usage as much possible.
                            The biggest single energy input in crop agriculture is Nitrogen fertilizer. Unless you are using animal manure or growing a lot of legumes.
                            “I try to reduce usage as much as possible”

Well the tree huggers that dont even know what glyphos is are gonna **** that up real soon for us
                            It’ll be cultivators goin everywhere , 3 times as much fuel used , and soil blowin all over the prairies
                            What a bunch of idiots
                            Glyphos probably done more for the environment than anyone can imagine
                            Our land is ten times better than in the “dirty eighties”
                            Had a 1/4 blow away back then . not very nice. Took a lot of years and lots of alfalfa to get it productive again
                            One good thing , it’ll take care of the “percieved” grain glut

Comment

Everyone with a BRAIN reduces costs/usage. We are totally insulated to the MAX. Vehicles all efficient, Machinery all tuned. Proper chem use and Min till. There is no reason to beat up ag! This shit is all expensive! So give us carrots(credits) if reducing NOT a stick (Carbon Tax) to beat us into bankruptcy! Total idiots!

Comment

Agriculture has a case for exemptions or rebates of the carbon tax if the impact is significant.

Aren't most provinces planning on exempting agricultural fuels?

But lets see the numbers and impact potential. I think in many cases the impacts are exaggerated.

The problem is some believe human caused climate change is not happening and that we should not do anything. Hiding from the consequences won't make them go away.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...