• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Early Manipulator results:

It might be a little early to distinguish but in the photo of the pull grader and mower....above the left side pull grader is the line between a pass with and without Manipulator.

In the other photo there appears to be a distinct line in the foreground and in the middle.

When its completely headed I will take pictures again
    Did you read the entire label before using?

Has anybody explained how it works to you on a plant level, and what happens with growth regulators when you introduce stressors to the plants?

More curious than anything.

We used ethereal for a long time. Pretty striking when you miss a strip and your wheat goes from 2' to 4.

Comment

Was there any yield difference from tall to short?

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        Did you read the entire label before using?

Has anybody explained how it works to you on a plant level, and what happens with growth regulators when you introduce stressors to the plants?

More curious than anything.

We used ethereal for a long time. Pretty striking when you miss a strip and your wheat goes from 2' to 4.
        From what I understand this product contains a plant hormone(Ethylene) that "inhibits" stem elongation by the hormone Gibberellin.

I wanted to apply it to a quarter that was broke in 1965.....things.can get rank out there.

I thought Manipulator was the best fit because temperature restrictions and the application timing. I think we got it on at GS31-32ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
          Was there any yield difference from tall to short?
          Don't know yet Partners.... the pictures are of the crop still in the field.

PGR's have finally received MRLs into the States.... now they are an option. Just trying it, I shouldn't have to worry about it next year unless I do the headland overlaps where we end up double fertilizing and things have a tendency to go down.

Comment

The Apprentice, outstanding in the wheat....er, I mean "kneeling" in the wheat....

Sorry guys, I can be a bit of a Jack Ass some days...

Comment

Some new varieties are shorter.claim higher yields.
              May be more N. Used for heads rather than straw.
              We have Hughes side by side with titanium..both headed..hughes is 7 inches shorter now.will see when done stretching.
              Major saving in harvest time if true to yield.

Comment

Wheat:
                -1, 0, +1 staging and counting.... in the next day or two it will be getting Prosaro.

Tomorrow morning a half section of canola gets Proline. We found mushrooms in the feild but none of them were the sclerotinia kind. But if the others are present there's a good chance the nasty ones are out there too. The ground is actually moist on top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mushrooms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	766517

I am so glad that we have a crop worth spraying this year. Not that I like it(spraying) but at least it looks like its worth it.
                Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 1, 2018, 22:12.

Comment

Partners, I wanted a good midge tolerant variety..... not "tall"erant...!!! We had Shaw, now Jatharia, thought about Titanium.... all must be related???(anyone). Now we opted for the midge tolerant semi-dwarf Landmark. Another good one might be Alida.... just in the early stages of seed multiplication, its only at the "select" stage of seed expansion. Could be a couple or three years yet before its available????

Comment

Klause...this was one of the more advanced plants in the feild that was treated with Manipulator.

pic taken at time of application....
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 1, 2018, 22:00.

Comment

Don't know yet Partners.... the pictures are of the crop still in the field.

PGR's have finally received MRLs into the States.... now they are an option. Just trying it, I shouldn't have to worry about it next year unless I do the headland overlaps where we end up double fertilizing and things have a tendency to go down.
                      Sorry Partners, I now realize that question was directed at Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                        Good to see you finally got a good rain. Got 3/10 here. Battleford looks wet. Doing the yearly Jackfish Lake campout. Nice crops in usual areas. Due for another trip to crooked bush. See how the hills at Whitkow look.
                        Fish are bitting on Murray just to let you know Wilton

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Fish are bitting on Murray just to let you know Wilton
                          Sweet👍

Comment

Partners, I wanted a good midge tolerant variety..... not "tall"erant...!!! We had Shaw, now Jatharia, thought about Titanium.... all must be related???(anyone). Now we opted for the midge tolerant semi-dwarf Landmark. Another good one might be Alida.... just in the early stages of seed multiplication, its only at the "select" stage of seed expansion. Could be a couple or three years yet before its available????
                            Got Alida growing beside my yard.... Not real impressed. Made a lot of lush plant, and when it turned dry started aborting tillers and leaves like crazy.

As far as yield... no idea, we sprayed for harvestability (Unity was a super tall, easily lodged variety).

The problem with Ethrel (which has always been approved) and Manipulator, is they effect plant's internal hormone reactions. Time it wrong, and you can sterilize the plant...

As far as dwarf vs. full sized varieties... remember that all that plant tissue converts CO2 into sugars, which are then converted into seed.

The less surface area available for the plant's "solar panels" the less energy they can produce & store.

Everything is a balance... The key is to have a short, stout stemmed variety with huge leaves... Canadian varieties aren't close to that yet... Just compare a plant of Pasteur to any CDN wheat...

Of course there's another reason for that also. As you expand leaf area you also increase the area capable of transpiration, thus making the plant less drought resistant.

European, Eurasian, and Argentine wheat varieties are bred for environments with 30in of annual rainfall +. Ours are bred for 4-6"... even though breeders have been going away from that in newer lines.

As far as timing, farmaholic, that looks about right, maybe 3-4 days late.

There's something going on in those plants though, notice the dead tissue at the ends of the leaves?

Comment

The Landmark, first pic has much less leaf area, 6" shorter so far. Second pic is Jatharia. Maybe getting short on moisture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheat by yard.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	766519Click image for larger version

Name:	040 (2).jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	766521
                              Last edited by fjlip; Jul 2, 2018, 22:56.

Comment

Klaus, would that also make those varieties more drown out tolerant?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...