• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A test for seed drills ....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most guys with new Bourgault Paralinks have the worst patchy germination in our area. Older equipment inc. air seeders looking best.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      [ATTACH]2963[/ATTACH]may 16 with the old morris maxim 2 , no rain until 10 days ago
      Looks like a good crop on the way, your Morris appears to be an excellent drill. 👍🏻

From what I see a brand new drill is one of the items that will drop in value the fastest.

A few years ago when one of the large “consultant/office tower” farms were forced to dump their Seedhawks at Ritchie Bros they appeared to sell for about 1/3 of new......the units were 2-3 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampsguy View Post
        Most guys with new Bourgault Paralinks have the worst patchy germination in our area. Older equipment inc. air seeders looking best.
        I don't know if I'd go as far to say that here. I would have cooked my canola sidebanding 267lbs of product that close to the seed with the dry conditions this spring and our soil type. What hurt me most on one half section was seeding it deeper than we normally seed and packing it in pretty tight, along with a seed lot size of 6.4 grams TKW which DOW(Nexera)says effectively dropped my seeding rate by 20%, 4.6 lbs per acre of large seeds....it ain't pretty but canola is somewhat forgiving when it comes to less than ideal plants per square foot. The Liberty is better, with the same treatment except seed size about 1 gram less.

Here's a thought, so you set the drill for an inch...and I'm on the record as saying that's probably anywhere from 3/4 to 1-1/4 inches....but here is the problem, how many different conditions do you encounter in a half section field with an old yardsite that is gone and seeded through along with bushes broke and seeded through, bits of land that was pasture and not broke with the rest of the field since it was first farmed, fence line or field border blow dirt ridges, higher ground that is blown off and harder.....and anything in between!

You know what equalizes almost everything? Adequate moisture and maybe no hot dry hurricane winds all ****en spring.

Paralinks aren't perfect and are a very high maintenance drill but I prefer it's performance over what I had before. Next year I don't think I want to seed canola as deep as I did this year.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 10, 2018, 23:13.

Comment

13 - 15 foot semi rigid drill frame sections with wide packer gangs was not the most ideal configuration for our topography. Gouging and uneven on row packing had it's limitations here.

I made a comment to SF3 about his soil being a lot more forgiving than ours. A moist thick black A horizon supported by a good clay base B and C horizon will beat my soil type(most of it) hands down any day! I'm doing the best i can with what I have, Mother Nature rules.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            13 - 15 foot semi rigid drill frame sections with wide packer gangs was not the most ideal configuration for our topography. Gouging and uneven on row packing had it's limitations here.

I made a comment to SF3 about his soil being a lot more forgiving than ours. A moist thick black A horizon supported by a good clay base B and C horizon will beat my soil type(most of it) hands down any day! I'm doing the best i can with what I have, Mother Nature rules.
            Very good point on soil horizon and being more forgiving on challenge dry springs

Comment

Originally posted by Stampsguy View Post
              some of the paralinks are having a challenge here as well .
              contour looks good but rough
              seed Hawks always look excellent but really , really rough

Comment

Neighbor's canola seeded with a MF36 discer.

Comment

He must have made a few modifications?

Comment

Yup, GPS and a smart hitch and GPS controlling the pivoting wheels to keep the discer from dog trailing up steep hills and passing the tractor coming down the other side since its hard to keep straight because of shallow seeding. And slow speed seeding sprockets.

Comment

Can't fault it.

Comment

It is just hard to judge any drill with all the different soil types and all the different techniques that farmers use before they seed.
                        Seed hawks look good but you have to harrow the crap out of your straw for them to work good.
                        3320 look just a bit behind but they will handle the straw better. Both of them units cost lot to buy and have a lot of moving parts.
                        C shanks like my 5710 seem to do as good as the above drills but if your ground is more uneven then the paralinks might have an edge.

Some springs the ground is mellow and all drills do ok but then there are springs where the soil works up like sugar cubes and then the best packing will always win. When the ground is chunky you can have two 5710's one with narrow steel packers and one with wide rubber and the emergence will be way different.

Some of the best emergence around here was a JD C shank but the guy would run a Salford and then a harrow packer before he would seed. That way he lots of dry mellow dirt to pack on top his seeds and the seed rows don't dry down.

Comment

I use a flexi 5000. Well built drill. Last year I used atomjet side band openers on 10 inch spacing. I was hoping to improve packing by changing to single row from paired row Dutch low draft. I do think this helped with canola but I was concerned about seed fertilizer separation and didn't really like the fert and seed on the same level. I considered going back to a Dutch universal opener with the 3/4 inch extended nose but I felt there was still some fert seed mixing. Ended up getting a custom atomjet side band high rate opener made with a slight modification to the wing so that with fert going down the center the fert was about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch deeper than the seed as well as better seed fert separation due to the way this opener is made. Overall I didn't see that much of an improvement on the canola but the wheat came up a bit better. Soil was warmer this year so not sure I can credit the new opener. I did notice that the amount of trash in each field made a greater difference to even germination than anything else. I also noticed with the dry spring fields that were not heavy harrowed in the fall had a measurable improvement in soil moisture over those that were harrowed but the extra trash negated the moisture advantage. Every spring is a new learning experience lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                            It's all Bourgault, Way out here !

Thousands of acres sown !

Millions of bushels produced !

Thats all you gotta go by !
                            Lol , seed scatters
                            They all work well , they all have there place

Comment

Lots of compaction problems here especially in barley , bourgault is the worst with the juice tank behind . Wont be millions of bushels of barley produced behind them out here ! Anyone know what the weight of those 3320’s are ? Compaction is killer in these soils. They must pull hard , tractor sure packs with tracks or triples? There are 20 foot yellow strips all through the fields . Anyone else seeing that ?

Comment

I have 3320 with 550 card and liquid tank don't see that problem . crops look good on very uneven land . Does anyone of you pull a disk drill of any make thinking I want less disturbance w are general fairly dry

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...