• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

land auction today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep we all want land to drop in price so we can buy more at a cheaper price.... I know the feeling but I don’t think that’s gonna happen.
    I’d be ok with being wrong though.

Comment

Maybe the purchaser plans on organic?

Comment

Must not beable to grow lentils or chickpeas there or would if sold for more foresure. Cause as we all know pulses pay the bills. Ps maybe not anymore the way things look.

Comment

Farma, I don't have a clue if it sold or not, it might take a while to figure it out most of it is very poor land your better of farming good dirt than poor. Probably make some good cow pasture but this area has a lot of water quality trouble. I'm sleeping with a local RM administratior so I just might find out.

I grew up on the east side of Saskatchewan and dad still curses about the hilly, dryed up, Stoney, treeless,godforsaken place I moved to. But there's always a place I can park an old tractor so I can get her running.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            [ATTACH]2841[/ATTACH]

Screen shot of area, compare it to rbauction listing map to locate quarters that were sold.

Knob and Kettleville.

Comment

the “they aren’t making any more land”.....they don’t have to...nobody lives long enough to keep it...it always comes back onto the market again at some point

Comment

Not if the Hutterites buy it first or some Indian land will probably be locked up longer than any one can ever remember.

How's calving going 835? I was thinking there's got to be an easier way to make a living, but then it warmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  thats what that prick at fcc told us in early 80's when we were stroking a check for double what the land was worth . a couple years later we were in trouble and he was retired on a grandiose federal pension . someone said they never regretted buying land . i sure regretted that stuff . we did a lot of work and cleaned piles , windrows, bush etc . done a lot of ditching , grew some really nice crops ,and eventually sold it for 2.7 what we had paid for it (was to far from home). luckily Grant helped us with the interest in the dirty eighties, or we mightn't have made it. he was the only help we ever got , and no-one provincially or federally has given a f@#k about farmers since

Case, your experience was much like ours. The early eighties, we were pretty frisky but by the end of 2004-5, the wind was out of our sails with 20 years of declining commodity prices, relentless drought, railway strikes, the CWB, 20 percent + interest rates and banks jacking us around with “errors”. Computers were new and with a lot of revolving debt, we were continually plagued with unsubstantiated costs, but we made it somehow. 😜 There were a few good years but we had to wait and hope for a chance to make a profit to pay for the over-priced land we bought in 1980. We were lucky to have other cheap land and special crops that miraculously pulled us through rough times. The north had their princess crop-Canola. I hope that opportunity presents itself again and the young guys can make it to the other end of the pool.

Apossitive from the past - We used to have the government in our back pockets, we knew they would pull through for us -not so today. The West is being attacked from all fronts.

We were talking to the last survivors in our families on both sides. Our history: our grandparents were BTO’s. One lost 24 sections to the great depression, the other a 7-section moonshiner who died at 56 even owned the Lunn Hotel, leaving wife a 7 kids to pay the debt.

How did the rest of you get bitten by this farming bug?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    Just under $4000 compared to $16,500 now.

That's 4x

Here we went from $32,000 / quarter to $420,000.

That's 13x. In the same time.

#bubble

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      That's 4x

Here we went from $32,000 / quarter to $420,000.

That's 13x. In the same time.

#bubble
                      Yeah, my figures were real averages for the country though. Saskatchewan farmland averages didn't jump from $32k to $420k per quarter.

Taking the $32,000 quarter in 2004 and compounding the average SK land price increases through to 2016 (Using FCCs figures) only gets you to $125,851. Round about that 4x also.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                        Not if the Hutterites buy it first or some Indian land will probably be locked up longer than any one can ever remember.

How's calving going 835? I was thinking there's got to be an easier way to make a living, but then it warmed up.
                        calving going okay..3/4 done ..but i do have some i’m going to sell in the earless calf market this fall !!!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          Yeah, my figures were real averages for the country though. Saskatchewan farmland averages didn't jump from $32k to $420k per quarter.

Taking the $32,000 quarter in 2004 and compounding the average SK land price increases through to 2016 (Using FCCs figures) only gets you to $125,851. Round about that 4x also.

Huh?

You couldn't buy a slough quarter for $100K anywhere here.

The land we bought in MB in the 90s for $12k a quarter websold for $107 in '12.

Ask anybody on here and they will tell you prices have done a lot more than fourfold.

FCC "averages" include intergenerational sales. Sometimes well often those aren't at cash market value.

But this is you grassy. And you love to argue black is white so whatever.
                          Last edited by Klause; Apr 20, 2018, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by 835 versatile View Post
                            calving going okay..3/4 done ..but i do have some i’m going to sell in the earless calf market this fall !!!
                            Earless calf market? Lol... are those deep freezer "projects".

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Earless calf market? Lol... are those deep freezer "projects".
                              ya may have to feed some out..heifers if they aren’t to bad can keep for replacements or can strap on some deer antlers that are laying around and advertise a hunt farm...i’m sure there has to be some trophy’s out there!!! ..hey just joking guys

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                                Huh?

You couldn't buy a slough quarter for $100K anywhere here.

The land we bought in MB in the 90s for $12k a quarter websold for $107 in '12.

Ask anybody on here and they will tell you prices have done a lot more than fourfold.

FCC "averages" include intergenerational sales. Sometimes well often those aren't at cash market value.

But this is you grassy. And you love to argue black is white so whatever.
                                Klaus, you must have been hit hard with capital gains reporting and alternative tax. Or did you buy in the same year in Sask and use replacement rules. Alternative tax is a big thing with sale of farmland and partnerships now

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...