• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayers to all involved hockey bus crash

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those trees aren’t friggen worth any lives - not one! It’s too bad that some one didn’t take a bull dozer out there long ago. You would think that it would dawn on the owner without his being instructed. Our RM’s have had some challenges removing old shelter belts. Some guys even tried to have their farms declared heritage property to save the trees.
    The yard I speak of had an accident about ten years ago and the trees were gone within days. The light came on. But there still are a few stinkers holding on.

Comment

Perhaps a simpler explanation is that the truck driver was blinded by the sun. Try driving west at this time of the year at around 5:30pm under clear skies. That sun shines directly in your face from a low angle and is blinding. Maybe the driver stopped, was still a bit sunblinded or sunspotted, never saw the bus and proceeded to cross the intersection. I know, should have waited, but maybe in a hurry...

Comment

True on the trees..but..the more reason to stop..

Comment

Sun blinded...well if he gets a good lawyer that will be the way he gets off the hook.

Comment

I hate being so insensitive as to analyze a difficult situation but after looking on Google earth, aerial and street view, and the direction of travel along with the accident carnage, it would appear to me the truck was broadsided by the bus. The front end of the bus was torn right off and beside the truck with the cabin area of the bus left behind. There doesn't appear to be any impact damage to the front of the truck that would indicate it striking something. The truck obviously on it's side and the flatdeck trailers upside down, can you imagine the impact force. I would think the truck would still be at fault for pulling out in front of the bus or not stopping . How far through the intersection would have that truck had to have been in order to be broadsided by the bus that had the right of way since the stop signs were for traffic on highway 335. I assume there would be a clear line of sight past the farmyard trees had the truck came to a full stop at the appropriate spot. Speed, I assume the bus must have been travelling near posted highway speed for that amount of damage to happen. Maybe the truck wasn't going full speed at all but it still shouldn't have been in the intersection. When everything came to a stop, the wreckage was in the NW quadrant of the intersection with the bus looking like it struck the truck forcing it off the road.

Comment

The amount of westerly directed energy was huge for both of those vehicles to end up that far to the west of the highway. You probably wouldn't get that much force from starting out from a stop sign.

Comment

Farmaholic..I think you got it right.

Comment

Stop means stop. Proceed only when safe to do so.

I agree. Truck was most likely moving at speed. Everything landed in the northwest ditch. That should not have been the case if the truck was entering the intersection after being at a dead stop.
                  5 PM time of accident. Sun wouldn't have been a huge factor this time of year. Maybe I'm wrong...

What a loss.....

Comment

Rumrocks & 101, you guys are probably also right, the truck must have had some good momentum as well to be that far west of the intersection. I would just like to believe the truck didn't blow through that stop sign at near posted highway speed.

Sunset is at 7:40-ish, I will have to take note where the sun is in the sky at 5-5:30 this time of year.

From me, enough is enough. Time to respect the people grieving.

Sympathy and condolences to everyone affected. Even if you knew no one involved, the sadness and tragedy of the situation is heartbreaking.

Take care out there.

Comment

Yes the investigators should tell us. I will just say if the bus hit that truck or trailer full speed there would be those peat bags all over the north of the intersection on the road not out to the west. The truck wiped out the front of the bus spun it around and looks like dragged the front of the bus under it. The trailers flipped when they turned sideways and caught the ditch blew the tire off the one.

But right now that doesn't matter the people hurting do. If only there was more each of us could say or do to ease their pain. All we can do is support them and show we all care because obviously we all do care tremendously, but unless it happenned to us none of us will know what they are going through.

Comment

Originally posted by Redgreenshow View Post
                        Perhaps a simpler explanation is that the truck driver was blinded by the sun. Try driving west at this time of the year at around 5:30pm under clear skies. That sun shines directly in your face from a low angle and is blinding. Maybe the driver stopped, was still a bit sunblinded or sunspotted, never saw the bus and proceeded to cross the intersection. I know, should have waited, but maybe in a hurry...
                        I live close to that intersection and did consider the sun in his eyes so yesterday afternoon I looked down the hi-way west at 5 pm and the sun is still quite high and off the south so I don't think it would have any bearing on what happened.

Comment

I've got a 1A license in my wallet. Its been there for close to 20 years now. I EXPECT to be held to a higher standard than someone with a Class 5. I get some added privileges because of the license - I can drive things that my Class 5 buddies can't but it comes with responsibility and in the event of an accident I expect to be held to a higher standard. Everyone can make a mistake but when a 1A driver makes a mistake the possibility of a seriously negative outcome goes way up so its fair that the 1A drivers gets held to a different standard. That's why all the noise about time of day, local knowledge of the road, tiredness, dispatch, whatever is completely irrelevant. If that truck driver had a 1A license he should expect to be held to a higher standard. If he was just holding onto the steering wheel then he could have been replaced by a bungie strap.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                            I've got a 1A license in my wallet. Its been there for close to 20 years now. I EXPECT to be held to a higher standard than someone with a Class 5. I get some added privileges because of the license - I can drive things that my Class 5 buddies can't but it comes with responsibility and in the event of an accident I expect to be held to a higher standard. Everyone can make a mistake but when a 1A driver makes a mistake the possibility of a seriously negative outcome goes way up so its fair that the 1A drivers gets held to a different standard. That's why all the noise about time of day, local knowledge of the road, tiredness, dispatch, whatever is completely irrelevant. If that truck driver had a 1A license he should expect to be held to a higher standard. If he was just holding onto the steering wheel then he could have been replaced by a bungie strap.
                            Exactly!!!

Comment

Careful there judge and jury. Karma has a way of humbling the shit out of you.

Comment

Wonder why no mention of truck drivers name?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...