• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Another 10000 Acres!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Another 10000 Acres!

When you can have a normal spring seeding program it sure brings you back to what life use to be like before the big flood years hit. We are at 60% done as of last night and what a run it has been so far.
    Up and down and back and forth. Finally into out wetter ground and yes the further north of the valley you go the wetter it gets.
    But what this thread is about is seeding and how fast a crop can actually get planted when a farmer has good seeding conditions.
    We get in a good day around 600 plus acres a day in. A shitty day could be 240.
    But in the flood years a good day was 320 and a poor was 40.
    Basically not really going that hard from 6 to 9 at night it would take roughly 16 days of seeding to get the crop in.
    32 if I was farming 20000 acres. But then the drills would be changed to deal with the extra acres. In the past we would have loved to pull 75 ft drills or bigger but guess what you couldn't either pull them, fill them right up or get them between the sloughs.
    Ah dry land farming its so much more fun than wet land farming.
    It also has lots to do with how a person manages their seeding crew. On our farm each drill has a tender truck with enough starter fertilizer for a whole day and seed. All our nitrogen is delivered to the field in the form of Anhydrous. Drills are filled the night before you head home. In morning one loads fert from in yard bins and one loads treated seed then switch places before heading to field. Fuel is delivered in morning by one of the farm help.
    All tractors are equipped with toe cables and all have clevis and tow straps on board. Their is a spare pull tractor close by running a heavy harrow.
    So yes if a eastern farm gets back to normal extra acres could be picked up because seeding in normal conditions is a dream compared to MUD!
    What are others using or doing to plan for seeding and area they farm in.

Don't get all supermanitis on us now ....

Comment

We give the horses a little Mineral oil in their oats...

Comment

sumdumguy I would use flax oil instead for nicer shinny coats so the photos of you from the road seeding would be cool.

Comment

Its just a thread about how much easier and quicker seeding is in dryer conditions. Remember its been 8 to 10 since I have witnessed a normal seeding period. Yes we still have 40% to go but its just fun to not get stuck every hour or two and actually do something in a day.
          Again what are others doing.

Comment

Some of our fields are the best they've been in years also... Might get extra acres to seed which under these conditions I'd be excited too! But I didn't have reseeding in mind..... Not liking this ice covering little canola plants. Grrrrrr

Comment

Yes the dryer year is giving more acres this spring and also if we go back and seed lower areas in a week it will also add acreage. But isn't it nice to finally have a normal spring.

Comment

Normal for you maybe , never in anyone's memory has it froze this many nights in the middle of May - ever
                Seeding conditions are good but have a lot of water in places yet - some areas worse than 2 years ago - still have some roads floated here
                Not all bad though - many areas far worse off

Comment

Very happy for you! Really I mean it.
                  Please remember large swaths of Sask are not "back to normal".
                  Thanks for the update.

Comment

I love seeding time. I fill up the seed bag in the morning, sling it over my shoulder and away I go. I usually use nitrile gloves to keep the seed treatment from poisoning me through the skin. Nice to have these new-fangled inventions. I usually have a goatskin of water for those odd warm days of May. Some day I'm a gonna get one of them new-fangled seed drills, then I'll really make things easier on the old homestead.

Comment

This area about 10 days drier than last few years. Still wet spots, but BIG water is BIGGER and unmowed ditches will NOT drain. Lots of moisture but if it warms up with wind soil will dry out. Has happened before. NO moisture in forecast for 2 weeks, and this COLD omega block could f*ck things up. Crazy freezing temps are unusual, better not happen in June like 1980. Most are about 30% done.

Comment

well if it's this dry here , we're probably already in a drought . I'm sure glad I don't have anymore acres to seed with these dismal return outlook . we have missed every rain this spring except one . good moisture in ground though, strange thing is that lots of land still to wet to seed

Comment

Who needs more when I may be reseeding some of my own!!

Comment

Ha ha wilagro. Last year, with much contemplation we went to rubber tires and it has been a real advantage. We are looking at putting an oil reservoir and a pump on the pto to lift the implements out of the ground this year. I hope it works.

Comment

Very innovative and progressive bunch, you are!!! Got a face full of ashes this morning taking them out and a dam mouse was in the wood box this morning, must have carried it in the arm load of wood last night!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...