• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall COVID-19 vaccine cut illness risk by half overall

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly Grant ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/authors/kelly-grant/)Health[/url] reporter
    Includes correction
    Published February 22, 2024

[url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-covid-vaccine-effectiveness-research/[/url]

The fall COVID-19 vaccine cut the risk of COVID-19 illness by about half overall, and by 67 per cent for those with a previous infection, according to new research ([url]https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2024.29.7.2400076[/url]) from the Canadian network that has long tracked the performance of the annual flu shot.

This is the first time the Canadian Sentinel Practitioner Surveillance Network, which is comprised of hundreds of primary care providers in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, produced mid-season estimates of the effectiveness of immunization against COVID-19 ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/topics/coronavirus/[/url]).

For people with hybrid immunity against COVID-19 – meaning they’ve had a jab and an infection – the shot targeting the Omicron XBB.1.5 variant performed slightly better against COVID-19 than the flu shot did against influenza.

The network estimated the influenza vaccine was 63 per cent effective against influenza A(H1N1), the dominant strain this season, and 40 per cent effective against the A(H3N2) subtype. That’s a “decent” mark by historical standards, said Danuta Skowronski, a physician epidemiologist with the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control and leader of the network’s research.

By comparison, in 2019-20, the last winter before the pandemic, the flu shot was estimated by the end of the season to have been 43 per cent effective against A(H1N1), 50 per cent effective against A(H3N2) and 65 per cent effective against influenza B. H1N1 was the most common strain that winter.

“Over all, the message is there’s good protection for those who received the autumn 2023-2024 influenza vaccine,” Dr. Skowronski said.

The Canadian Sentinel Practitioner Surveillance Network’s decision to track the effectiveness of both shots in tandem is another sign that physicians and epidemiologists are treating SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, as a regular feature of winter virus season ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/topics/flu-covid-cold-rsv/[/url]).

“Both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are highly changeable viruses. They’re unique in that way, compared to other vaccine-preventable diseases,” Dr. Skowronski said. The network’s leaders felt a duty to gauge the effectiveness of both vaccines, given that public-health officials urged Canadians to receive them at the same time, she added.

The network’s leaders measure flu shot effectiveness by having several hundred family doctors and nurse practitioners in Canada’s four largest provinces test patients who come in with flu-like symptoms to determine if they have a lab-confirmed case of influenza. Researchers then look to see what share of each group – positive or negative for flu – was vaccinated, and compare the results to estimate vaccine effectiveness. The network used the same method to judge the COVID-19 shot.

The surveillance effort doesn’t capture mild cases of either virus that don’t require medical attention, nor does it measure how well the shots perform against severe illness that puts people to hospital.

The Canadian network’s estimates of flu shot effectiveness jibe with those published earlier in the season in Alberta, where researchers were able to link data on immunizations, lab tests for influenza, and visits to clinics and hospitals to produce estimates of flu-shot effectiveness in near real time.

That group estimated the flu shot in Alberta to be 61 per cent effective against the widely circulating A(H1N1), 49 per cent effective against the less-common A(H3N2) and 75 per cent effective against influenza B, which typically peaks later in the season.

Real-time estimates are useful because “there’s a lot of people who are just not sold on flu shots,” said Jeff Kwong, associate director of the Centre for Vaccine Preventable Diseases at the University of Toronto ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/topics/university-of-toronto/[/url]). He is one of the authors of a study based on the Alberta data ([url]https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2024.29.2.2300709[/url]).

Dr. Kwong hopes more people will get the flu shot if they hear early in the season that it provides solid protection. In seasons like 2014-15, when the overall effectiveness of the shot was an abysmal 9 per cent, early data would allow hospitals and public health to prepare, he added.

The 2023-24 influenza season has unfolded more typically than any season since COVID-19 struck, said Allison McGeer, an infectious disease consultant at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital. “On balance, it’s doing what you would expect it to do, which is getting back to normal postpandemic.”

Last season, pediatric hospitals were overwhelmed as several viruses rebounded after COVID-19-control measures were lifted. In the fall and winter of 2022-23, there were 2,444 hospital admissions linked to influenza for children younger than 4, up from 33 such admissions the season before, according to a report the Canadian Institute for Health Information released Thursday. That figure was a return to prepandemic levels.

The institute also found that, among children younger than 4, hospital admissions doubled for lower respiratory infections last season, while hospital stays for COVID-19 reached 3,310, a 43-per-cent increase over the season before.

Every time a jab was rolled out in UK their was a huge spike in excess deaths , boosters were worst , thats the green

Comment

Bullshit! More antivaxer crap from Crop! No reference or source!

Where was this crap published?

Comment

allways the same reply CC ! you clearly dont like facts that show you have been conned , and that chart is from UK government numbers , but they have changed how they count now because too many (people that can think for themselves ) are wakeing up to what has happened

Comment

Numbers interpreted by whom? A guy who cant do math and logic?

Its always very telling when crap won't post the link or reference!

Comment

its far better to look up the numbers yourself , take off your blinders the information is there , one question for you CC , if all what you posted was true , why did they stop the police dectective in ontario from looking in to possible link between the death of 9 infants and recent jab ? if their was notting to hide , explain why she got suspended and all kinds of threats , surely you would think everybody would want to know why

Comment

Great to see the national citizens enquiry is getting going again, and it survived the huge effort to get it shut down , why do you think that happened CC ?

Comment

Less than 15 percent of Canadians received the clot shot last year, most are waking up

Comment

Crop, why are you afraid to post the link and you want me to do your homework again?

Is that because your numbers are from an antivaxer website that has zero credibility!

Comment

Crop, save pictures screen shots in jpg, png will not be big and legible

Comment

This Sunday was the first time I have heard of a 14 yr old boy dead from a heart attack. Before the quackzine, one NEVER heard of this happening. Grain buyer buddy of mine, in his mid thirties had a heart attack before Christmas. Previous to this, the youngest heart attack victim that I knew was 43 at the time. This happened in the 80's so no mRNA involved then. If you got the quackzine, especially the booster, (that one did my Mom in at age 74, though she would live to her 90's) look into detox now. People who had no side effects got placebo and should quit crowing about it. The % of toxic booster shots was much higher as that was the last chance to kill using the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        Crop, why are you afraid to post the link and you want me to do your homework again?

Is that because your numbers are from an antivaxer website that has zero credibility!
                        Do the homework for yourself not me , open your mind a little bit , you may learn something . and by the way all that was from UK government numbers

Comment

A sincere question to you Chuck, why do you think the uptake on the Covid vaccines dropped off so much ? It seems only a handful of people are bothering with covid boosters anymore ?
                          Just speaking for myself , I never bothered getting the covid booster, had a mild bout of covid mid December no worse than a bad cold and moved on. Just about every few weeks I know of someone missing for a few days that had covid and laid low while they were positive. These days most seem to stay home when they have any bad cold. Being out in public and coughing and hacking is not appreciated anymore. Most people have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                            Crop, save pictures screen shots in jpg, png will not be big and legible
                            How do i change ? thanks

Comment

I still got my flu shot and Covid booster. No big deal for me nor should it be a big deal if you choose not to. On the other hand the idiots who choose not to vaccinate kids for the basics and put their kids in school with mine I have issue. That’s black and white proven stuff. Flu and Covid shots aren’t that black and white in my mind as to efficacy like a MMR shot.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...