• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comment: The return of the Wheat pool? Australia still has a strong coop.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment: The return of the Wheat pool? Australia still has a strong coop.

Comment: The return of the Wheat pool?

The time might be ripe for a revival of Prairie co-ops

By Jeremy Welter ([url]https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/contributor/jeremy-welter/[/url]) ,

Marc-Andre Pigeon ([url]https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/contributor/marc-andre-pigeon/[/url]) ,

Natalie Kallio ([url]https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/contributor/natalie-kallio/[/url])

"To get a glimpse into what was lost when the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool became Viterra, we can look to Australia. Like Canada, farmers in Australia no longer have a national wheat marketing board. It was eliminated in 2008, a few years before Canada’s.

Unlike in Canada, however, Australian farmers held on to their co-operative grain handling company, Co-operative Bulk Handling (CBH).

Well into its 90th year, CBH has prospered, despite a difficult operating environment not dissimilar to Canada’s, as well as periodic challenges to its mutuality. With a 62 per cent share of the grain handling business and A$4 billion in annual revenue, CBH had a record annual profit of A$497 million in 2022 and has reported record-breaking supply chain performance for its 2023 harvest.

Those results belong to CBH’s Australian farmer-members. CBH’s success can be attributed to its efforts to support its members by investment in the infrastructure — rail transport, port terminals, marketing, export and processing — needed to lower grain handling costs for producers.

As a result, CBH says average post-farmgate costs for its members are 15 per cent lower than for Australian farmers who rely on multinational corporations (including companies like Bunge and Viterra) for storage, movement, marketing and export.

Through CBH, Australian farmers don’t just have a powerful corporate entity looking out for their financial interests, but a company that can help them navigate government lobbying and relationships with agricultural input providers and their growing arsenal of data being used to power artificial intelligence applications."
    ​

On the prairies some farmers and their politcians were happy to give up control over grain handling and give all the control to multinational grain companies?

Australians and even Americans have a lot more farmer run Coops in the grain business.

Comment

Sounds like you have found your calling. Instead of wasting your time advocating for legalizing pedophilia on a commodity marketing forum, you can now direct your energies towards rising the communist wheat board up from the ashes.
      Everyone needs a purpose in life.

Comment

Why are you posting this marketing information in Chuck's daycare, instead of in the appropriately labelled commodity marketing forum?
        Do you still not have that privilege? Afraid the admins might notice you escaped the asylum if you start threads where you were banned?

Comment

Are you calling Australian and American farmers communists for having a successful grain handling coop?

What about all the retail coops in Alberta? Only communists shop there? There must be a lot of communist farmers buying their fuel and inputs from a Coop!

Advocating for legalizing pedophillia? Right out of Q Anon! The organization you have never heard of because you dont watch the news!

Is our resident flakey libertarian getting even more desperate? LOL
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Feb 10, 2024, 10:20.

Comment

And if you were here on this agricultural forum to discuss agricultural topics instead of starting fights and attempting to further your Marxist agenda, you would have known that Mallee already posted this information recently. Shortly before he got so disgusted with your antics that he left the forum completely.
            Well done. You can add another notch to your belt.
            Soon it will be just you left here. In your own echo chamber.

Comment

But did he mention anything about the success of Cooperative Bulk Handling? Not that I recall.

But how can a libertarian be opposed to farmers deciding to continue to work together in a coop?

Isn't that their decision not yours?

You really are a hypocrite and a pretend libertarian.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                But did he mention anything about the success of Cooperative Bulk Handling? Not that I recall.

But how can a libertarian be opposed to farmers deciding to continue to work together in a coop?

Isn't that their decision not yours?

You really are a hypocrite and a pretend libertarian.

I'm not opposed at all. Look at my first post. I just encouraged you to make this your life's mission. I'm sure if you organize this, by calling all your fellow Farmers flat earthers and Trump supporters and use lots of LOLs and emojis, call them all cute nicknames ending with y, you can convince them all to join your cause.
                You will make a great emissary

Comment

I suggest that the difference exists because of the board. 3 generations of isolationism led to near zero participation or education.
                  The use of hedging tools in other regions compared to Western Canada glaringly illustrative.
                  (~5% compared to 45% +
                  Interesting, an inverse of commercial storage capacity in 2010 CA US- Oz. Hmm, coincidence perhaps.)
                  How else do you explain the indifference and general ignorance about port performance or export sales reporting today?
                  Coops are great but still a business.
                  Grain is a raw commodity therefore a low margin game. Remember as well they were only paid for storage and handling.
                  80 years of stagnation affected competitiveness and Director (co-ops) competence.
                  Wasn't much they could do anyway.
                  I well remember the Iron Fist that controlled all things grain.
                  Ignorance and malaise a heritage attitude that lingers still.
                  Critical self direction a learned skill. Flourishes under competition.
                  Applies to most things human.

What other differences between the US, OZ, and Western Canada (note not all) are there?
                  ​​​​​​ Coops don't exist in the FSU or China either. Another coincidence. As grain factories (farms) ever modernize to scale, the co-op model becomes a footnote in history. Until they're large enough for a cartel. Rinse wash repeat.
                  Kudos to our local rail/grain co-op.
                  ​​​​​​ Founded under the premise of retaining profits handling their own grain. The real money was storing oil tanker cars on unused track. Even built new sidings for the purpose.
                  Great investment. But not from grain.
                  Last edited by blackpowder; Feb 10, 2024, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

I'm not opposed at all. Look at my first post. I just encouraged you to make this your life's mission. I'm sure if you organize this, by calling all your fellow Farmers flat earthers and Trump supporters and use lots of LOLs and emojis, call them all cute nicknames ending with y, you can convince them all to join your cause.
                    You will make a great emissary
                    That's nothing, you should read his X account.

Comment

what name is that under ?

Comment

I'm only assuming based on years of reading posts here. And would never out anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post

That's nothing, you should read his X account.
                          I have read it. Not sure why he pretends to be anonymous here, when he makes it so obvious in his other social media.

Comment

IF we are correct of course.
                            Agriville makes it so much easier to discuss ludicrous ideas and public frailties. Much to choose from.

Comment

New farmers co op would never work. In theory with some major tweaks they could be price competitive..BUT they have one majooorrr setback ( as do all grain companies and farmers)...

THE MONOPOLY of the train tracks.
                              that and the incredible lack of teeth by our govts to stop the monopolization of the grain buying companies...

A coop would probably be useful if done properly...but farmers are so far down eachothers throats ( see; rising land prices and rising rents) that 3 neighbours cant even get together and agree that the sky is blue. Never work when everyone secretly hates eachother.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...