• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comment: The return of the Wheat pool? Australia still has a strong coop.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I searched his name but couldn’t find it there.

Comment

Providence Grain is a grower owned Grain Handler… it is clearly up to farmers to decide how to market their grain… competitive forces determined what happened to our grain handling system in western Canada… not multinationals.

We each determine our future… CHS has input supply stations in western Canada… Coop crop suppliers are very common… who we choose to do business with… determines future opportunities!!!

Many Blessings!

Comment

I see that several of the posters in Commodities are not so optimistic about the number of takeovers and the reduced number of buyers in a grain market already dominated by a very small number of buyers.

Comment

Never in our community, have so few farmers, been served by so many unit car grain terminals, with drying, colour sorting, cleaning, blending, and marketing services like minimum price, pre price, basis, post delivery pricing… every conceivable option a grain farmer can dream up!

Canadian owned grain facilities, Paterson, P&H, Providence, Richardsons… Canola , Nexera crushing facilities… paying massive premiums to futures.

Wake up CC… our farm has never received such good grain marketing results ….in history!!!

Many Blessings!!!

Comment

if wheat board dictatorship ever came back i would give up grain farming , if just on wheat id never grow wheat again , RIP wheat board

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
              if wheat board dictatorship ever came back i would give up grain farming , if just on wheat id never grow wheat again , RIP wheat board
              One of my biggest highlights farming was able to farm my last year without the wheat board. I even held a permit book burning party in the farm yard.

Comment

Wished I was there at that all candidates forum in North battleford when that ndp candidate lost his shitz on Ritz and called him a bastard for dismantling his beloved wheat board, only to be booed and told to shut up.

Comment

Are you guys confused again about what CBH in Australia does?

CBH is not a single desk seller. Its a farmer own grain handler that lowers the cost of grain handling by 15% for members as compared to the multinationals.

With a 62 per cent share of the grain handling business and A$4 billion in annual revenue, CBH had a record annual profit of A$497 million in 2022 and has reported record-breaking supply chain performance for its 2023 harvest.

Those results belong to CBH’s Australian farmer-members. CBH’s success can be attributed to its efforts to support its members by investment in the infrastructure — rail transport, port terminals, marketing, export and processing — needed to lower grain handling costs for producers.

As a result, CBH says average post-farmgate costs for its members are 15 per cent lower than for Australian farmers who rely on multinational corporations (including companies like Bunge and Viterra) for storage, movement, marketing and export.​

Comment

you are right we dont know about what they do in Aus , because the thought of anything like wheat board gives us nightmares

Comment

But you don't seem to mind if the grain industry has a near monopoly with little real competition?

Comment

They pay when they get the grain , not when they feel like it
                        Last edited by cropgrower; Feb 12, 2024, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                          But you don't seem to mind if the grain industry has a near monopoly with little real competition?
                          That’s a rhetorical argument on your part. The cwb days you had one buyer. Grain CO’s were paid for handling.

Comment

Didn't you just describe the CWB? Except it was an absolute monopoly. With absolutely no competition. Enforced by law.

Comment

One of the best days of my 34 year farming career was the day Steven Harper announced the end of the CWB at Robin Walde's farm.

Tom was there also. Pretty sure a couple others from here were as well.
                              Last edited by LEP; Feb 12, 2024, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

Didn't you just describe the CWB? Except it was an absolute monopoly. With absolutely no competition. Enforced by law.
                                You weren't "permitted" to sell grain till you got your permit book to record every transaction to see that you weren't getting more than your share of the limited sales opportunities.

Every one that ever applied for a permit book was a liar to try get a every acre possible.
                                Some were a lot better at it than most.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...