• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How EVs compare to gas cars on emissions over their total lifespan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How EVs compare to gas cars on emissions over their total lifespan

​How EVs compare to gas cars on emissions over their total lifespan

[url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/mobility/article-how-evs-compare-to-gas-cars-on-emissions-over-their-total-lifespan/[/url]

With electric vehicles gaining more range, mostly owing to larger batteries, some critics contend that EVs are worse for the environment than gas-powered ones.

One of the claims is that battery electric vehicles (BEVs) produce nearly as much greenhouse gases as gas cars over their lifespans – if you include the emissions from mining minerals to make batteries.

But, if you compare a BEV to a gas car over its whole life – from mining for materials to recycling the car once it’s off the road – a BEV is responsible for a third, or less, emissions than a gas vehicle, multiple studies show.

“It’s true that [BEVs] are more energy intensive to manufacture because of the batteries,” said Joanna Kyriazis, Ottawa-based director of public affairs with Clean Energy Canada, an energy think tank at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C. “But because they have no tailpipe emissions, they very quickly break even [on CO2] emissions and then come out ahead of gas vehicles.”

A 2022 study from Ford Motors and the University of Michigan ([url]https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/03/04/new-study-finds-greater-greenhouse-gas-reductions-for-pickup-tru.html[/url]) found that light-duty BEVs, which include sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks, rack up 64 per cent less in greenhouse gas emissions over their lifespan than gas vehicles.

A 2021 study by the International Council on Clean Transportation ([url]https://theicct.org/publication/a-global-comparison-of-the-life-cycle-greenhouse-gas-emissions-of-combustion-engine-and-electric-passenger-cars/[/url]) found that emissions over the lifetime of average medium-size BEVs registered today are considerably lower than comparable gasoline cars – by 66 to 69 per cent in Europe and 60 to 68 per cent in the United States.

But the batteries in BEVs do pose some different environmental risks than gas and diesel vehicles. For instance, we’ll need to expand lithium mining to meet battery demand and we’ll also need to ensure that batteries are properly recycled at the end of their useful lives.

“People are right to make sure that this new technology lives up to the hype,” said Cedric Smith, director of transportation with Pollution Probe, a Toronto-based environmental non-profit. “That being said, every study I’ve seen shows that BEVs are far better for the environment.”

Breaking even?

So, how long does a BEV have to be on the road before it accounts for less overall emissions than a gas-powered car?

That Ford study found that BEVs break even after up to 1.3 years for sedans, 1.6 years for SUVs and 1.3 years for pickup trucks, “based on the average U.S. grid and [average] vehicle miles travelled.”

A 2021 Reuters analysis ([url]https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/when-do-electric-vehicles-become-cleaner-than-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/[/url]) of data from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory ([url]https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articles/fotw-1303-august-14-2023-cradle-grave-electric-vehicles-have-fewer[/url]) in Chicago showed that a BEV will have to drive about 21,725 kilometres before it comes out ahead of a gas car.

Yeah they make sense in certain areas. And who in their right mind would honestly say, i want to burn gas vs no burning of gas.
    As mileage extends they will become more and more feasible. Now, in canada, due to our sheer size.. maybe they dont ever really become totally feasible other than in larger urban areas ( southern ontario, southwest BC and the large cities themselves).
    its certainly nice to have options though... i see more and more ford lightnings driving around between the smaller farm communites ...
    cost prohibitive right now ( and charging resources) but theyre only going to get better.

Comment

"But the batteries in BEVs do pose some different environmental risks than gas and diesel vehicles. For instance, we’ll need to expand lithium mining to meet battery demand and we’ll also need to ensure that batteries are properly recycled at the end of their useful lives."

If demand/price for the minerals skyrockets...the price of EV's will also. Make them all obsolete. Just a blip in auto history.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
        Yeah they make sense in certain areas. And who in their right mind would honestly say, i want to burn gas vs no burning of gas.
        As mileage extends they will become more and more feasible. Now, in canada, due to our sheer size.. maybe they dont ever really become totally feasible other than in larger urban areas ( southern ontario, southwest BC and the large cities themselves).
        its certainly nice to have options though... i see more and more ford lightnings driving around between the smaller farm communites ...
        cost prohibitive right now ( and charging resources) but theyre only going to get better.
        Our hybrid EV uses about 5.7 L per 100 km with gas and running on electric uses 27 kwh for a 100 km. That works out to about half the cost of gasoline in Saskatchewan at 15 cents per Kwh for electricity. When you factor in our lower cost solar PV electricity price at 8 cents per kwh, that almost cuts the cost in half again. Most EVs are still too expensive in my opinion, but as prices come down and the technology improves they easily become the cheapest vehicle to operate by far in many cases.

EV motors are 80% efficient at delivering energy to the wheels. ICE vehicles are about 20% efficient.
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 9, 2023, 07:51.

Comment

may i ask what type of ev you drive and how does the mileage decrease in winter .. say
          .. on a minus 20 day?
          and waiiiiitttt you run a hybrid? Thats cheating!

Comment

"Most EVs are still too expensive in my opinion, but as prices come down"

Increased DEMAND for minerals will increase prices of EV's, sorry not viable after that.

Comment

Most of the minerals used in a battery can be recycled & reused again over & over. Unless I've been mislead.

Comment

Originally posted by recapped View Post
                Most of the minerals used in a battery can be recycled & reused again over & over. Unless I've been mislead.
                Indirectly involved in this.
                [url]https://batteryindustry.tech/lithium-australia-zinc-and-manganese-from-recycled-batteries-as-a-source-of-fertilizer-micronutrients/[/url]

Comment

Check the price charts because the price of lithium is a way down from the peak at the end of 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
                    may i ask what type of ev you drive and how does the mileage decrease in winter .. say
                    .. on a minus 20 day?
                    and waiiiiitttt you run a hybrid? Thats cheating!
                    Our hybrid is designed to run on electric above -10 C. You can look up range loss on the internet as there is plenty of first hand evidence of how EVs perform in cold weather. And just like ICE vehicles lose range in cold weather, EVs do as well.

Teslas when plugged in keep their batteries warm and can precondition the cabin in a few minutes.

Comment

Your case. It's got to be math, or an apple - lemon thing. Is there upfront cost of carry in the article equation, or just fuel cost? Sounds like just emissions.

Now you are needing two systems for transportation, and you need at least two systems for farm electricity. And you are touting that that is better for the environment and cheaper than a one fits all tried and true system. What other two systems do you have because I'd like to get in on a redundant system that says the more I spend, the more I will hang onto. And what about hanging onto?

What do you consider to be the lifespan of your EV? I won't say hybrid because when your EV system craps out, you won't run a gas car to extend its purchase use, will you?

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                        Your case. It's got to be math, or an apple - lemon thing. Is there upfront cost of carry in the article equation, or just fuel cost? Sounds like just emissions.

Now you are needing two systems for transportation, and you need at least two systems for farm electricity. And you are touting that that is better for the environment and cheaper than a one fits all tried and true system. What other two systems do you have because I'd like to get in on a redundant system that says the more I spend, the more I will hang onto. And what about hanging onto?

What do you consider to be the lifespan of your EV? I won't say hybrid because when your EV system craps out, you won't run a gas car to extend its purchase use, will you?
                        The costs that I listed are the fuel cost comparisons of the EV kilometers vs the gasoline kilometers. On that front the EV miles based on Sask Power rates are about 1/2 the cost of the gas miles.

The PV system will pay for itself in about 10-12 years and lower my long term cost of electricity. On average I produce about the same amount as I use each year.

The lifespan of EVs is at least the same as ICE vehicles and probably longer because there ar far fewer moving parts. Battery lifespans are in many cases longer than the vehicle itself. And technology is improving rapidly.
                        Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 11, 2023, 08:23.

Comment

It's good that I live in the present, and not on someone's projection screen.

Otherwise, I couldn't project that the 2008, 2500 Ram, diesel, with 306,000km dialed on mostly mild weather driving will easily make it to government regulated 2030 death on the surplus of $0.46/liter fuel stored from 2021.

Does your transporter have a full ice? If so, what is your percentage of ice mode miles?

I've often wondered about one issue people and what they drive, and what drives them. At least, some do consider cost, even if extrapolated.

Comment

Most consumers don't have storage for any cheap fuel and gas up weekly. So driving on .46 cent per litre diesel from 2021 is irrelevant.

If the cost of owning and operating vehicles and value for money was the top issue for many consumers, then the truck market would be a lot smaller than it is.

The lowest cost option at present is still a small ICE car. Soon to be replaced by a small EV car.

Most people live in cities and drive very few miles each week.

And when they are stuck in traffic their EV is hardly using any electricity nor belching out pollutants that foul the air and send many to an early grave.

Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 12, 2023, 08:25.

Comment

Occasionally Chuck stumbles on a nugget of truth which completely contradicts his mantra.
                              He correctly notes that the average consumer has no means of storing fossil fuel energy so must buy hand to mouth.
                              But his go to solution to intermittent energy is always storage. Sun doesn't shine all winter, need more storage. Wind doesn't blow for days at a time, just add storage.
                              EVs need to charge at night when they aren't in use, when the sun doesn't shine, the consumer just needs to add storage.

Meanwhile, storing energy dense diesel or gasoline is much cheaper, safer, has a smaller footprint, doesn't require any rare earth metals, or high tech containers, doesn't spontaneously combust, etc.
                              So the consumer cannot afford or isn't allowed due to bylaws to store energy in fossil fuels.
                              But they will for sure be willing and able(and can afford) to store energy in batteries.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...