• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New evidence confirms COVID-19 vaccines are overwhelmingly safe

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-new-evidence-confirms-covid-19-vaccines-are-overwhelmingly-safe/

Carly Weeks
    Health Reporter

As updated COVID-19 vaccines are rolled out across the country, fresh evidence confirms that the vaccines are overwhelmingly safe, with only a small percentage of people reporting serious reactions.

More than 38 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered in Ontario alone as of Oct. 8, with 23,002 reports of adverse reactions, an incidence of 0.06 per cent, according to a report from Public Health Ontario.

The report, published earlier this month, is based on surveillance data collected from patients since the start of COVID-19 vaccinations in December, 2020.

It found that 94.5 per cent of those adverse reactions were not serious, with allergic skin reactions and redness or pain at the injection site among the most common complaints.

Just 5.5 per cent of adverse events linked to the vaccines were considered serious and included conditions that required an admission to hospital or resulted in death.

But Public Health Ontario says that doesn’t mean the vaccines were the cause. The surveillance program captures all medical events that occur after vaccination, so those that would have happened anyway are included in the report, even if there’s a small likelihood of a link.

“I see this very positively – that there’s been 38 million doses in arms, very small numbers of adverse events reported, less than 0.1 per cent of doses, and the vast majority of those, close to 95 per cent, are non-serious,” said Reed Morrison, a public health physician with Public Health Ontario who has expertise in vaccine-preventable diseases.

There have been 821 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis, which involve inflammation of the heart, after COVID-19 vaccination, according to the PHO report, for a rate of 22.2 per million mRNA doses administered. Young males aged 12-24 appear to have the highest risk. Previous research has shown the vast majority of cases are mild, patients recover quickly and risks can be averted by extending the time between doses.

Similar data published by British Columbia earlier this year also confirms the strong safety profile of COVID-19 vaccines. There, the vast majority of reported adverse events were allergic reactions or pain at the injection site, with about 8 per cent of events considered serious.

That report provides extensive details about the serious cases, which included people who required a hospital admission or died, making it clear the vaccine was likely not the cause. For instance, several people died after receiving a vaccine, but investigations revealed they had extensive medical conditions, such as an individual with metastatic cancer.

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said in an interview that the evidence is clear: Vaccines are safe.

“We’re transparent about those adverse events,” he said. “I think it’s important not to say there are none, but it’s a tiny number.”

Meanwhile, COVID-19 continues to cause serious outcomes and death, particularly among the elderly and other high-risk groups. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, 3,786 people were in hospital as a result of COVID-19 for the week ending Oct. 17, a slight decrease from the week before.

At the same time, a new study published by Canadian researchers found that babies whose mothers had been vaccinated against COVID-19 during pregnancy were less likely to experience serious health complications, be admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit or die. The study, published this week in the journal JAMA Pediatrics, looked at data from more than 142,000 births in Ontario and followed infants for six months to determine their outcomes.

Researchers found that 7.3 per cent of infants whose mothers had received at least one COVID-19 vaccination experienced a serious event, such as a seizure, in the first month of life, compared with 8.3 per cent of those whose mothers were unvaccinated; neonatal death occurred in 0.09 per cent of babies exposed to the vaccine in utero, compared with 0.16 of those who were not; and 11.4 per cent of vaccine-exposed babies required admission to a neonatal intensive care unit, compared with 13.1 per cent of babies born to unvaccinated mothers.

Sarah Jorgensen, one of the study’s authors, said the findings should provide reassurance to pregnant women that the vaccines are safe and can help protect their babies.

“Pregnant women and really young infants in the first couple of months, they’re also high-risk,” said Ms. Jorgensen, who is a pharmacist and a PhD candidate in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine’s Institute for Medical Science at the University of Toronto.

Some experts have expressed concern over what they describe as confusing or inadequate messaging about the importance of getting an updated COVID-19 vaccine this fall. In B.C., Mr. Dix said the province’s Get Vaccinated system, built during the pandemic, is helping ensure people get timely information about when and where to get their vaccine. Last year, the province vaccinated a record number of people against influenza, which Mr. Dix credits to the success of the new system.

It sends messages to people based on their risk status, age or other information, allowing them to book vaccine appointments instantly. As of this week, the province had already vaccinated more than 250,000 people with the updated XBB.1.5 COVID-19 vaccine, Mr. Dix said, with another 276,000 appointments booked. Nearly 600,000 people have received flu shots this year, he added.

finally got an inch of snow here , twas nice without it

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      finally got an inch of snow here , twas nice without it
      The snow we got starting Sunday night has settled down to about 5 in now. I will trade you.

Comment

6 in of snow and covid and flu shots.

Comment

Just flurries here , should be still decent weather early next week to start hauling wheat 🌾.
          Roads should be safe

Comment

Couple inches here. Come down to toon town today. Snow followed us.

Comment

2" total snow...no shots of any kind, TOO cold too soon, ice age coming.

Comment

Yes stay safe everyone, long cold 🥶 winter ahead
                Hopefully everyone can afford to stay warm out here in western Canada , and be safe from crime .

Comment

Yes looks like an early start to winter , a bit af climate change sure would be great here in western canada

Comment

A new study shows that flat earthers living near Meota excel at complying

Comment

Old evidence confirms Covid 19 vaccines are overwhelmingly not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                        Old evidence confirms Covid 19 vaccines are overwhelmingly not necessary.
                        Careful when you go for a walk I have heard there is a steep drop just over the horizon. If you repeat something often enough some might believe it.
                        Last edited by agstar77; Oct 28, 2023, 21:28.

Comment

Like some azzholes keep repeating safe effective?

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                            Careful when you go for a walk I have heard there is a steep drop just over the horizon. If you repeat something often enough some might believe it.
                            You’re going to compare my opinion that flu and covid vaccines are frequently not necessary to believing the Earth is flat?

Oh no!

Look at me caving to peer pressure.

I’m going to immediately go out and vaccinate all my cattle for pink eye and foot rot. Two issues that are also not usually necessary to vaccinate for because other management decisions can drastically impact their morbidity and mortality. But boy howdy, I’ve been told we need to vaccinate or I’m an idiot!

I’ll also book myself in for a Hep A+B, Yellow fever, Typhoid, and Dukoral because even though I’m not travelling anywhere so am at no increased risk from those, I’ve been told that available vaccines mean you must be vaccinated, no matter the actual necessity.
                            Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 29, 2023, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                              You’re going to compare my opinion that flu and covid vaccines are frequently not necessary to believing the Earth is flat?

Oh no!

Look at me caving to peer pressure.

I’m going to immediately go out and vaccinate all my cattle for pink eye and foot rot. Two issues that are also not usually necessary to vaccinate for because other management decisions can drastically impact their morbidity and mortality. But boy howdy, I’ve been told we need to vaccinate or I’m an idiot!

I’ll also book myself in for a Hep A+B, Yellow fever, Typhoid, and Dukoral because even though I’m not travelling anywhere so am at no increased risk from those, I’ve been told that available vaccines mean you must be vaccinated, no matter the actual necessity.
                              Your statement inferred covid was not real and vaccines would not help. Would you like to clarify that? Of course if you do not wish to contact anyone a vaccine is not necessary. That is not what you stated.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...