• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to Canada, the land of free roads, cheap gas – and the world’s least fuel-eff

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Canada, the land of free roads, cheap gas – and the world’s least fuel-eff

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-welcome-to-canada-the-land-of-free-roads-cheap-gas-and-the-worlds/

Welcome to Canada, the land of free roads, cheap gas – and the world’s least fuel-efficient cars
    Tony Keller

The Eastern Townships autoroute, running southeast from Montreal, opened to traffic in 1964. The New York Times called it “Canada’s newest superhighway,” and gushed about it as “good news for skiers.”

The article noted that the speed limit was 70 miles per hour in summer (this was a decade before Canada adopted the metric system) but only 55 mph in winter. It also wrote that, as part of a “master plan,” a final stretch of the autoroute still under construction would soon meet up with the U.S. Interstate system – bringing more Canadian tourists to New England, and more Americans to the Expo 67 World’s Fair.

One thing The New York Times did not find remarkable? That the highway was a toll road. The drive from Montreal to Sherbrooke cost $1.50, plus 25 cents to cross the Champlain Bridge. That’s $16.75 in today’s money.

A road paid for by drivers, not taxpayers, isn’t an unusual thing in Europe. Toll highways aren’t even uncommon in the United States, from the 423-kilometre Florida Turnpike to the 146-kilometre Sam Houston Tollway in Texas to the nearly 800-kilometre New York Thruway. New York is about to start charging cars to drive into the most crowded parts of Manhattan.

But in Canada? There aren’t many things that Canadian parties of the right, left and centre can agree on, but “free” roads – by which I mean taxpayer-subsidized driving – is one of them.

The Eastern Townships autoroute lost its tolls in 1985, courtesy of a Parti Québecois government. The new Champlain Bridge, completed in 2019 at a cost of $4.4-billion, is toll free, courtesy of the federal Liberals. In Ontario, highways 412 and 418 in Durham Region east of Toronto were opened a few years ago as toll roads, but the Progressive Conservative government ditched the tolls last year – a move long called for by the local New Democratic MPP.

In British Columbia, tolls on two relatively new Vancouver-area bridges were a key issue in the 2017 election. The Liberal provincial government promised to reduce the tolls; the NDP one-upped that with a pledge to remove tolls entirely, transferring all costs from drivers to taxpayers. The NDP has been the government ever since.

And in Toronto, former mayor John Tory once upon a time proposed tolling the Gardiner and Don Valley expressways, rather than maintaining them with property taxes. The idea was shot down by a Liberal premier.

In theory, the left opposes policies that promote pollution and urban sprawl. In theory, the right rejects burdening taxpayers with unnecessary government spending and favours user fees. In many countries, left and right have put these principles into practice when it comes to the cost of roads and driving. In Canada, not so much.

That’s why Canada is also an outlier on gas taxes. Ours are among the lowest in the developed world. Yes, really.

A recent paper from three academics at the Université de Sherbrooke points out that not only are Canadian gas taxes low compared with peer countries, their relative weight has fallen.

Road pricing works. It’s in use around the world. Why not in Canada?

Long before carbon pricing, provinces already had gas taxes – Quebec’s dates back to 1924 – while the federal excise tax on gasoline has been around since 1975. But the 10 cents-a-litre federal tax hasn’t gone up in 28 years. Most provincial gas taxes have similarly failed to keep pace with inflation. In 1981, Quebec’s gas tax was worth 1 per cent of the provincial economy; today, it’s worth less than half that. Relative to the size of the economy, the federal excise tax has been halved since the mid-1990s.

But don’t take some egghead professors’ word for it. The Canadian Fuels Association, representing “the companies who process crude oil into essential products like transportation fuels and get those products to market,” also says Canadian pump prices are far below other developed countries. Why? Lower taxes, mostly.

Canada’s levies – gas taxes, sales tax and carbon pricing – are higher than those in the U.S. But CFA data from last January shows that a litre of gasoline in Britain includes an extra 98 cents of tax. Drivers in Germany and Italy paid an extra $1.12 per litre in taxes. The French paid $1.30 more.

All of which helps explain why Canada is the world champion of gas-guzzling cars. Own the podium, Canada.

According to the International Energy Agency, Canadians are driving the planet’s least fuel-efficient personal vehicles. In 2017, the average Canadian ride got 8.9 litres per 100 kilometres. That compares with 8.6 litres/100 km in the U.S., 7.9 litres/100 km in Australia, and less than six litres/100 km in Germany, Britain, Italy and France.

Canadians were also driving the planet’s biggest personal vehicles in 2017 – and 61 per cent of new cars sold that year were not cars, but rather trucks, namely SUVs and pickups.

“Consumer preference for large vehicles,” the IEA says, “has offset the impacts of technical improvements on average fuel consumption.” Engineers keep figuring out how to move more mass with less gasoline; consumers, particularly in Canada, keep offsetting those engine improvements by choosing ever-larger vehicles.

The trend shows no signs of ending. Last year, according to Statistics Canada, 82 per cent of new Canadian light vehicles were trucks.

So, I didn't actually read the article. But judging by the title, and the poster, I am assuming the gist is that the CO2 tax is not nearly High enough?

Comment

So what you're saying is that you continue your practice of recreational tilling your organic land because you find that diesel fuel to be inexpensive. Do you also drive to the Post Office everyday to pick up your mail for the same reason?

Personally, I use as little fuel as I can possibly get away with. I guess we all have a different idea of what product is expensive, or not.

Comment

Free roads …… lol
        Taxed to death but everything in Canada is free 🙄👎…. Wow some people are dense in economics

Comment

I haven’t done the math so take this for what it’s worth. I believe that there is many other places in the grand scheme that are funded by gasoline taxes. I don’t think all the money raised from gasoline taxes are spent building and maintaining our roads.

Comment

Tax payers subsidizing roads equals free roads for users. What ever happened to the fiscally conservative idea of user pay?

If fuel taxes and fuel prices are so high, why are many consumers who don't need them, still choosing large inefficient trucks and SUVs for basic transportation?

You often see them lined up and idling while they pickup their coffee and tim bits.

I guess the price of fuel isn't that high if you want to waste it at 20% efficiency in the Tim Hortons line up in a vehicle designed to haul a 12,000 lb trailer. That's a lot of donuts!

And then we also wonder why we have a growing obesity problem and poor health?

Comment

Free road for EV drivers. Gas taxes provide the roads for them.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                Tax payers subsidizing roads equals free roads for users. What ever happened to the fiscally conservative idea of user pay?

If fuel taxes and fuel prices are so high, why are many consumers who don't need them, still choosing large inefficient trucks and SUVs for basic transportation?

You often see them lined up and idling while they pickup their coffee and tim bits.

I guess the price of fuel isn't that high if you want to waste it at 20% efficiency in the Tim Hortons line up in a vehicle designed to haul a 12,000 lb trailer. That's a lot of donuts!

And then we also wonder why we have a growing obesity problem and poor health?
                I see what you did there. So a high enough CO2 tax would also solve the obesity epidemic, since people will be unable to afford to drive their diesel pickup trucks to the Tim hortons. Is brilliant. Although may I suggest a donut tax may have the same effect without all of the collateral damage of destroying the competitiveness of energy intensive industries.

As a capitalist, I completely agree with the concept of user pay. Virtually all vehicles have GPS installed now. We could easily have road tax based on the GPS tracking. That would level the playing field between ice vehicles and EV's.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  I see what you did there. So a high enough CO2 tax would also solve the obesity epidemic, since people will be unable to afford to drive their diesel pickup trucks to the Tim hortons. Is brilliant. Although may I suggest a donut tax may have the same effect without all of the collateral damage of destroying the competitiveness of energy intensive industries.

As a capitalist, I completely agree with the concept of user pay. Virtually all vehicles have GPS installed now. We could easily have road tax based on the GPS tracking. That would level the playing field between ice vehicles and EV's.
                  Interesting concept! Could even tax/charge by make and size of vehicle. Big heavy units that are harder on roads would be charged more, light vehicles and EV's be on lower scale.

Not sure how to get ones like me that drive older stuff pre GPS.

Comment

Maybe if the big three built cars that were bulletproof and lasted 20 years like they used to , then more people would have bought them I guess. Trucks are the new car now , and have been for years. Found out that Dodge won't build a regular cab long box truck anymore , unless it's a 3/4 ton or one ton. Used to be that regular cab half ton long box trucks were all that was on the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                      Maybe if the big three built cars that were bulletproof and lasted 20 years like they used to , then more people would have bought them I guess. Trucks are the new car now , and have been for years. Found out that Dodge won't build a regular cab long box truck anymore , unless it's a 3/4 ton or one ton. Used to be that regular cab half ton long box trucks were all that was on the lot.
                      Dodge er’ Ram won’t build those base models cause demand isn’t there nor margin. Several years ago I snagged a 2 year old new half ton off the dealers lot for 30 grand. Crew cab 4x4 mind you but it wouldn’t sell because it had the v6. I’m driving an 8 year old truck with under 135000 km. Fuel economy is great and it’s been reliable for a light duty half ton. I don’t need fancy and many others don’t but manufacturers build them cause people buy them and or they think they need to buy the higher end so trade in value is there. Eventually at the 10 year mark it doesn’t matter as everything is worth the same no matter the trim package.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Free roads …… lol
                        Taxed to death but everything in Canada is free 🙄👎…. Wow some people are dense in economics
                        no more dense in economics than Polly.Buy crypto and fire the head of the Bank of Canada.And when he explains what caused inflation you know he has not figured our checkers when a chess game is going on.

Comment

Did the study take into account the fact that half our year is spent in sub zero temps ( which can reduce EV mileage by what... 45% and any ICE by 25?). It would be like saying australia spends less on heating oil than the whole of PEI, new brunswick and nova scotia. Well. No shiza sir sherlock!
                          Full disclosure. Skimmed the article. Hope they took temperatures into effect. Europe doesnt count because their population is so much closer together and many countries have regulations on the maximum age a vehicle ( thus having higher fuel mileages) can be..so. apples to apples here chucky! 2nd full disclosure. I drive a yukon xl thats actually not all that horrid on fuel. Do i need the space? I feel i do. Could we go smaller? Yep. But i can afford a 2018 with 200 k on it and all the additional costs.... thats why i wont complain avout the carbon tax.
                          Would like to buy a newer one that has the little duramax diesel ( its amazing on fuel) but theyre just too much money. 115 k for a new yukon? Why? Who? Why? In what world? Why?

Hey chuck. Serious question. I grow oats. When you eat a bowl of porridge do you honestly care how many carbon units it took to get there when youre hungry? NO but you do care what it cost to get into that bowl.

This is the diffculty with our current situation. We need to lower food costs and living costs but nobody has any idea how to properly do it. Libs want rich to pay more while those who pay nothing cost everyone more.
                          Cons want everyone for their own but when too many people need help nobody wants to help them.
                          So what do you do?

Not sure. But letting someone charge a tax on carbon while imposing a fine of what, 50 million on a company that gets caught FIXING THE PRICE OF THE LOWEST tier of food we have ( bread/ bread products) seems... uhh...

Dumb?

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                            no more dense in economics than Polly.Buy crypto and fire the head of the Bank of Canada.And when he explains what caused inflation you know he has not figured our checkers when a chess game is going on.
                            Are you really that simple minded ??

Comment

You gotta wonder about the many Conservative consumers complaining about the cost of fuel and carbon taxes while they drive the the most expensive and least efficient vehicles when a smaller more efficient vehicle will cover their needs.

Instead of averaging 6 L per 100 km, they drive something that averages 16 L if they are lucky. Maybe they can't do math and don't know what the extra 10 L /100km is costing them? Its a whole lot more than the carbon tax, most of which they get back in climate rebates.

If you need a truck for work by all means, but why are many suburban and city residents driving big trucks?

Its marketing folks. The big three makes lots of profit off of sales of luxury lifestyle trucks. And consumers have been sucked in to all the hype.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...