• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy yields in Canada. Soy is going to replace peas and some Canola!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add uncompetitiveness as well. US and South America both have potential to increase acres.

Demand will also be a factor. At I think 60 to 70 % of world soybean trade, China is the ultimate driver of the soybean market. Their decisions are drivers of where soybean prices go. Closer to home, animal numbers and competitive protein sources including distillers grains and canola meal are other factors.

Perhaps just highlighting all is not perfect for the soybean. Pulses/peas have more of a human food demand base and actually a good outlook for growth in consumption/disappearance.

Comment

Yields in central mb 30-35 bpa if missed late july early aug rain. 40-55 bpa if u got july aug rain. Id suggest look for earliest maturity in ne and sc Sk. W. Sk may be too dry for beans in a typical year. Way way easier to grow than canola. Plant them, spray roundup twice, and forget about them until harvest at end of sept. I think canola will end up as a fring crop in the eastern prairies in 10 years, certainly in s. Mb.

Comment

Where you can grow beans please, TOO COLD here, stuck with canola. But if less canola grown, perhaps price will be better.

Comment

Last year soy yields in an almost perfect growing season here in south west/central sask were 25bpa while canola was 55-60 for many producers, cool July,no August rains but. 6 inches in September. This year soy 15 - 22 with warm dry July then 10 inches of rain since first week of August while Inv L252 ran 53 bpa. Soy in this area are mainly thunder seed varieties. Don't grow soy myself but these are the yields reported by a few neighbours. Seems like soybeans are a few variety/years away from becoming common place inn this region. Lentils are still king for returns in these parts as long as they are properly looked after in regards to diseases. Have seen some significant differences with newer fungicides on our pulses. Durum saw similar results with fungicide application at 25% headed.

Comment

Lentil prices are pretty good this year with Estons at 32 cents/lb. All good. Next year we will order fewer inches of rain.

Comment

I am old enuff to remember when we had 3000 acres of peas in Sask.
              Then Slincard came to show us the way.

Comment

The guys who tried growing them here have kind of given up for now. Same deal, yields were anywhere from 9 to 27. Too low. I find it an interesting development, and would like to grow them someday, but only when they are proven/reasonably reliable. They are far too inconsistent.

What is the cost to seed the things now? My one neighbor a few years ago said 100 bucks cash would get you seed, inoculant, herby. Has the cost gone up like everything else?

I too am old enough to remember some things. there was a chickpea craze several years back as the new best crop for the south. I thought guys planted a million acres or more. It fizzled though.

But they are working so hard at soy for cool seasons, they may just get there.

Someday.

Comment

Soy will never replace canola for the most part in western Canada - it will replace peas in wetter areas with heavier soils and more heat units - that just a fact of life.

Comment

Canola is a cool climate crop soy is not - 75% of western Canada is a cool season climate last time I checked - not too many other places in the world growing major crops farther north than us - just keep it real and look at Lat and Long on a map - and heat units.
                    Yes breeding is on track to be ealier soy , just keep in mind how close we are to frost in spring till June and fall as early as August . Just throwin a bit of not so common sense out there - probably get ribbed for it but bring it on.

Comment

Furrow, why would you get ribbed? You speak the truth, man. North Battleford has one of the shorter seasons in Sask, does it not? At least historically. Here, our frost free season is actually not too bad, but yeah, it is cool and wet.

IMO, soy have a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to go. We need a soylinkard.

Comment

Where we farm my concern would be the treat of the tap being turned off in July and only getting shitty showers that barely keep the traditional crops going. I was told soy needs a late season rain to produce a decent crop. We're on the line between moist dark brown and thin black. So here it can go one way as easily the other. The years where we have alot of heat units will likley be the years of moisture deficiency, not what soy wants. This year(here)the growing season was cut short by frost for soy. So maybe they need to be a little drought tolerant and shorter season!

Comment

Hugh Campbell from Qu'Appelle was working on some short season B90 Chickpeas and it seems to me he also had some promising soybeans, but I haven't seen him for awhile. We have concentrated on Lentils and Canary for our bread and butter. This year tried Durum and Canola. I think we would have done better with more Canary. It is cheap to grow, just a little N at seeding, wait for the chance to top-dress and not much else. This jar of Fuzzie Durum on the table doesn't do it for me. You all know what Canola costs to grow, so all in all, this year not so good.

Comment

Piles of winter wheat replaced by piles of soy at Patterson near Winnipeg. Canola will soon be a minor crop in southern Mb. Winter wheat will also disappear. Yields were 35 plus in a very dry July and August. With a rain in late July 50 would be common. Potential is for 60-70. Canola just isn't there.

Comment

New Varieties will be earlier yet, but that Late July ? early august rain is 5 Bu/ acre and will be limiting factor

Comment

will add 3 things
                                1) thought they were a south, longer season crop...varieties I grew/available no more at risk than anything else I grow. Not endorsing any particular variety
                                2)It has a fit in a post grass year and lots of grass crops here. Nothing seems to do well other than soy.
                                3) As far as all not good regarding soy (one of the largest traded commodities) I believe there is some political/industry resistance/complacency to soy vs canola in Canada. As a producer, I like having an oil alternative.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...