• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy yields in Canada. Soy is going to replace peas and some Canola!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy yields in Canada. Soy is going to replace peas and some Canola!

Ok a few friends have started sending me info on their Soy yields in East and Northern Manitoba. We will be changing one thing for 2015. Soy will be seeded the Friday before the May long weekend for two days. 640 acres right now is the plan for 2015. Yes we will shut one drill down seeding canola and switch for two days to soy. No more slapping it in as the last crop. Early seeded in our area is thin but looks to yield not bad. Bigger seeds. Later we seeded to heavy this year. yield should be similar or just higher than last year. We needed one more good week of heat.
    So some early yields were 30 on p1s and 40 on p2s that's pioneer variety. This is from the NE. Now lots of 25 to 30 out their.
    But compared to peas at 12 to 6 and flooded flat shit which did better.
    Canola doesn't do well in water either.
    On our farm I still feel my DeKalb's will out perform my Pioneer time will tell. Harvest will take place next Saturday im thinking.
    So who else has been growing soy and what are their thoughts on the crop. Yes prices are dropping. But peas were 5.75 at harvest 50 equals 287. that's the same as a 9 dollar 30 bushel soy.
    Canola at 33 x 8.75 is the same.
    Canola costs to grow the crop are outrageous compared to soy. Ah the seed act. Just like the guy said the other day on the radio who wants the new seed act. ( it worked for Canola now we want to do the same for wheat).
    Flax probably this year will be the highest returning crop vs soy.
    So again what are others seeing and what are others thoughts on the crop.

Ours did 40 in a fringe area this year.

Comment

I'm "watching and listening" to whats happening in this area. Early reports aren't so good but there is more to come off. Dad said he saw a sample at the local Input supplier that looked like the size of tapioca.

I saw one of my neighbors fields that had amazing pod set, haven't heard if they're off and how they did.

I would like to grow them but would sure like to see a shorter season variety.

Comment

Soy wont be replacing anything in this area in the near future. Neighbors Dekalbs ran 11 apparently. Best yield ive heard of in the area in the last 5 years is 29 once. Rest of the years considerably less.

Comment

Get some thunder seeds soys and you'll dump dekalb and pioneer.

Way taller and yield 35 on shit sand all day long.

J d green they don't like dry in fall. They need a good rain in august to finish em off and you don't get that or the heat reliably.

Comment

What is the market in your area? Are they all shipped to the states or do canola crushers take them?
            I assume canola mills could use them.

Comment

My dad always said "Don't start anything new on a Friday" So I would start on the Thursday before May long.

Comment

They need wet and heat east crop and msnitoba plus albertA foothills me thinks! Sw to dry in August

Comment

I disagree klause. Not that thunders are bad, but some of the stuff I have seen they are actually very short. Sf3's assesment is similar to what I am hearing. North star genetics seems to have a few good varieties out there. I don't see soy replace a lot of acres on the western part of sask. im hearing yeild similar to what jd is saying in that part of the world. I'm still debating weather or not to try some.

Comment

Yes I too think soy acres are going to go up. The genetics companies are putting a lot of money into new short season varieties. In these wetter years soy beans are a good bet but soy is a different cat than some of the other crops. Cant seed early as soybeans will take forever to come out the ground if the soil temps are low, if we have a hot dry summer with no August rain to finish the soybeans, yield will be very poor and one big thing is that we have not had any early frost for the last few years. When we get a early frost it wont be pretty. For us soybeans are replacing more of the peas and lentil acres because we have been too wet. Most elevators now in the south east are buying soybeans in the pit so marketing is easy.

Comment

Thunder and Northstar sorta share genetics.

I love Warrens. Now that's a nice 3.5ft tall bean that grows like a fababean and produces!

Too bad it's almost impossible to get seed for them now.

Comment

Good soy here the last two years has been 25 ish. Varieties are getting very close in maturity now for this area, I would say two years out for a bigger play on acres here.
                        If peas have another rough year here, there will be a faster switch to beans.

Comment

beans definitely taking over the landscape here. Every year seeing more. Year three for me...first 2 honest 40 avg. this year maybe 30, but hearing 20-40 from others. Been watching over last 5-6 years...crop almost bulletproof in an area with 5-6 years of weather extremes.
                          Way easier/simpler than canola. The acre shift doesn't lie.
                          Grew thunder variety and pekko's. Both good...yields/harvestability comparable...farmers not really talking up/down one variety over others.

Comment

to put in some context....area 70% seeded so things went in rough/late. canola going anywhere 15-50 bush, wht 25-50. Beans fared pretty well considering the circumstances this year.

Comment

Just curious if there is any talk of building soybean processing capacity. Lots of hogs in the province. Ability to save freight shipping soybeans to export to US/elsewhere and replace imported soybean meal.

Alberta is looking at soybeans but lots of other crops in the mix in the areas that can grow them. At the end of the day, profitability, agronomic potential and weather risk will determine whether they have a fit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...