• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns Question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns Question

Have an old .22 for gophers and such, and bought a tikka t3x super lite in 30-06 with a scope from a friend that wanted to change calibers. Thought I would use it to harvest bison, but the guy that helps me says it kicks too much to use as an every day shooter for that purpose?

Long story short, he recommended I get a short and light .308 with a red dot for the bison. But this seems like it is too close of a calibre to what I already have to warrant another gun? If I do go this route, any recommendations on what to get?

Also thinking I could get something to fill the gap between the .22 and the 30-06. Something like a 30-30. But would that be powerful enough to take down a bison at 100 yards or less? Have heard of a .270 bouncing off the head of a bison from another friend.

Kinda liking the Henry side gate lever action in 30-30 if I decide to go that route, but wouldn’t put a red dot on there and ruin its look. Just looks like a neat gun to have.
    Last edited by flea beetle; Dec 23, 2023, 20:36.

Or just get one of each?!????

Comment

308 will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
        308 will be fine.
        Do you think the ballistics are different enough to warrant buying another gun? You think he is just whining about the kick on the 30-06?

I guess I could leave the 30-06 as a long range and set up the .308 as a short range gun. Would you go low power scope or red dot? Sometimes shoot amongst other animals if that changes your mind one way or the other.

Comment

Any favourite guns in .308?

Comment

Don't see any significant advantage or disadvantage to any you mention.

Cheapest old 303 or SKS will do the job if you can hit what you are aiming at,

Assuming you will be shooting most at close range out of the truck window?

Use a couple of boxes of shells to make sure your gun is sighted and your comfortable with it.
            Last edited by shtferbrains; Dec 23, 2023, 22:03.

Comment

Just keep using your 30-06. The 270 and 30-06 recoil difference isn't noticeable, no .270 round is going to bounce off a buffalo's head from 100 yards, that's a great caliber for all around use. I have bigger caliber firearms such as a remington 10 guage shotgun and a remington model 700 sendero 300 RUM. I don't find shooting them to be any worse than any other shotgun or high powered rifle I have. My only Complaint with those two is the weight of them to carry them around, and the price of ammunition is absolutely gross.
              Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post

Do you think the ballistics are different enough to warrant buying another gun? You think he is just whining about the kick on the 30-06?

I guess I could leave the 30-06 as a long range and set up the .308 as a short range gun. Would you go low power scope or red dot? Sometimes shoot amongst other animals if that changes your mind one way or the other.
                .270 is a necked down 30-06, basically same cartridge smaller and faster bullet. For your purpose no need for it.

Comment

I guess it is either keep using what I got, or get a more nimble .308. Maybe hit the Boxing Day sales at Cabela’s and see if anything strikes my fancy. If anything, might come home with a new set of field dressing knives. Lol

Comment

Browning BLR , you’ll love it, light and can get heavy loads

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      Browning BLR , you’ll love it, light and can get heavy loads
                      In .308? What would you put on top?

Comment

Actually, that is a beautiful gun on its own. Really like the stainless takedown model. Wouldn’t want to wreck it with anything on top. Interesting how they got pointed rifle cartridges to work in a lever action!
                        Last edited by flea beetle; Dec 23, 2023, 22:34.

Comment

Felt recoil is also a function of the size and weight of your rifle. As well as the fit of the stock. U bought lite rifles....
                          Once I put a proper length of pull and cheek rise stock on my 458, it was night and day. A recoil tube in butt helped too. Stocks meant for scopes can beat you up if using sights or red dots.
                          Use high quality electronic muffs. Don't develop a flinch.
                          Brakes make it loud.
                          06 and 308 very similar. 3 + - more grains to achieve 2400 fps with a 165 pill.
                          308 was the standard match round for decades. It fits a short action and is a more efficient case. Reload manuals will always mislead you about weight range of applicable bullets. But your twist rate actually dictates what will work.
                          Terminal ballistics another matter.
                          The most efficient cow killer I've seen is a 22 Hornet.
                          You need to match the bullets design characteristics with the correct velocities. It needs to penetrate only as far as necessary while giving the desired expansion.
                          Drilling high velocity laser beam holes does not produce the required hydraulic shock.
                          U indicated short range work.
                          If you like levers, a 45-70 can be loaded up or down in a wide range to suit your needs. Factory Leverrevolution ammo can be a little warm.
                          Thinking 30-30 might be a fine fit if all shots up close and in the brain box.
                          Weighty slugs for diameter designed for lower velocity work with soft flat points.
                          Have fun!
                          Get a reload press.
                          Last edited by blackpowder; Dec 23, 2023, 23:25.

Comment

How has the bison venture panned out flea?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                              Actually, that is a beautiful gun on its own. Really like the stainless takedown model. Wouldn’t want to wreck it with anything on top. Interesting how they got pointed rifle cartridges to work in a lever action!
                              Soft polymer tipped SPs designed for purpose only, in a tube mag. Or traditional FPs
                              Last edited by blackpowder; Dec 23, 2023, 23:26.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...