• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns Question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, when the vet or our butcher puts down a cow, they just use a .22
    Is a bison skull any thicker than a cow?

Comment

Agree the 22LR is most popular, but I have seen it fail miserably on occasion. Placement and size.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        How has the bison venture panned out flea?
        The local community so far has been tremendous in supporting this new ride. Butchered pretty well everything that had to be done this year about a week ago, and almost have it all sold already. Have been asked numerous times within the last year to do pre-seasoned burgers, and I think we will be doing a lot more of those in the years to come.

Being along a primary highway helps with sales, but it also has almost caused a few accidents from people slamming on the brakes to have a peek at them.

It will be interesting to see if the demand will be there as our numbers grow. Although we haven’t really done any marketing yet either. All of our sales have been to local people wanting to try something new.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          FWIW, when the vet or our butcher puts down a cow, they just use a .22
          Is a bison skull any thicker than a cow?
          Yes the skull is a fair bit thicker. The hide is also about double as thick as a cow. A lot harder to skin.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Felt recoil is also a function of the size and weight of your rifle. As well as the fit of the stock. U bought lite rifles....
            Once I put a proper length of pull and cheek rise stock on my 458, it was night and day. A recoil tube in butt helped too. Stocks meant for scopes can beat you up if using sights or red dots.
            Use high quality electronic muffs. Don't develop a flinch.
            Brakes make it loud.
            06 and 308 very similar. 3 + - more grains to achieve 2400 fps with a 165 pill.
            308 was the standard match round for decades. It fits a short action and is a more efficient case. Reload manuals will always mislead you about weight range of applicable bullets. But your twist rate actually dictates what will work.
            Terminal ballistics another matter.
            The most efficient cow killer I've seen is a 22 Hornet.
            You need to match the bullets design characteristics with the correct velocities. It needs to penetrate only as far as necessary while giving the desired expansion.
            Drilling high velocity laser beam holes does not produce the required hydraulic shock.
            U indicated short range work.
            If you like levers, a 45-70 can be loaded up or down in a wide range to suit your needs. Factory Leverrevolution ammo can be a little warm.
            Thinking 30-30 might be a fine fit if all shots up close and in the brain box.
            Weighty slugs for diameter designed for lower velocity work with soft flat points.
            Have fun!
            Get a reload press.
            A lot of good info there. Thanks for that!

Comment

Hmmm square head and thick skin, that must be Trudeausaurus.

Comment

Sharps similar to this killed about 20 to 30 million buffalo in the 1880's.
                You could run a U-Pick for the genuine experience.

Comment

Center fire came along after the Civil War. That one's percussion. Black powder using 20:1 lead alloys a whole other set of parameters to learn. Professional hunters of the period used paper patched bullets in 45 or 50 center fire cartridges. Reloading their own in camp. I have played a little with my Shilo Sharps 45- 2 7/8". For reference a 45-70 is 2 1/2". Possibly most available at the time as military Springfield's were that.
                  Of course they weren't after the meat. And yes there are buff hunt ranches across the line. A large following of BPCR shooters and matches. If legal here, I'd look into that for sure. If they have the money for that gear, they'll drop some coin for a buff.
                  Last edited by blackpowder; Dec 24, 2023, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    Hmmm square head and thick skin, that must be Trudeausaurus.
                    HA HA soon to be Extinct!!!!!

Comment

Just an update, ended up buying a nicer Swarovski z3 4-12x50 brh scope for the tikka 30-06, and ordered a Henry brass side gate 30-30 for the bison harvests. Would have liked the 45-70, but went with 30-30 due to the ammo being more common. Hopefully it works.

Was never a gun guy, but have recently taken interest in starting to collect, and may even start hunting. Friends are bad influences!

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                        Just an update, ended up buying a nicer Swarovski z3 4-12x50 brh scope for the tikka 30-06, and ordered a Henry brass side gate 30-30 for the bison harvests. Would have liked the 45-70, but went with 30-30 due to the ammo being more common. Hopefully it works.

Was never a gun guy, but have recently taken interest in starting to collect, and may even start hunting. Friends are bad influences!
                        I own a tikka t3 lite in 270 short mag.It does recoil a bit on the shooting table but hunting isn’t a problem. Very smooth action love the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post

I own a tikka t3 lite in 270 short mag.It does recoil a bit on the shooting table but hunting isn’t a problem. Very smooth action love the gun.
                          I like the gun as well. I just wish tikka made some nicer stocks than the cheap black plastic. They have the action, barrel, and trigger figured though.

Comment

I sure hope you didn't spend your money on my info
                            ​​​​ What ranges are you working with?
                            Tikka makes good stuff. But there is little aftermarket products. High end custom machined actions are all Rem 700 clones for standard.
                            I don't own a Swaro but it looks fine for your app. Never spend less than that on glass.
                            Moving to machinery forum kinda hides it?
                            Good luck. Keep us informed.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              I sure hope you didn't spend your money on my info
                              ​​​​ What ranges are you working with?
                              Tikka makes good stuff. But there is little aftermarket products. High end custom machined actions are all Rem 700 clones for standard.
                              I don't own a Swaro but it looks fine for your app. Never spend less than that on glass.
                              Moving to machinery forum kinda hides it?
                              Good luck. Keep us informed.
                              I definitely took a lot of what you said to heart when making the purchase. Lol

Yes it got moved, and doesn’t get as much traffic here. Them’s the breaks. Roll with it I guess haha.

most shots will be 50-100 yards I’m thinking. Once I get really get set up and running, I think most shots will be under 30 yards and under. That will be where the 30-30 will shine.

I’m definitely excited to get the Henry home and play with it. Also wanting to find a browning BLR white gold medallion to add to the collection eventually. That looks like a beautiful and handy gun all wrapped up in one. Thanks to case for recommending that one.

i find myself gravitating toward lever actions.

Comment

Been wondering how you made out.
                                Worried I led you astray.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...