• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New shop ideas and tips

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New shop ideas and tips

We are thinking of building a pole shed shop , insulated and tin on the inside and outside . 18 ' ceiling , bifold on gable, overhead door on the side. I am wondering if anyone has any tips , good ideas, things that really worked out well , things you did that you couldn't live without , etc . ? I realize the pole shed design is not as good as a frame building and nowhere near what a steel one will be but it is quite a cost savings and will definitely outlast us with no one coming behind us . Also if anyone has a pole shed building , ideas for the cement floor against the building ? Thanks in advance !

Snap on 15 inch tin strip skirt around bottom, sprayfoam entire wall and skirt min of 2 inches thick. Concrete butts up to the top of the insulated skirt creating an important thermal break. Sprayfoam well worth it on the walls imo keeps the tin rigid and eliminates air infiltration. Accoustical caulk between the plies of the post as they can leak. Versaframe has best pricing on custom cut tin imo. I had my posts wrapped in blueskin 24 inches below ground and 12 inches above to give me some peace of mind that the posts won't rot off in my lifetime.

Oh ya and remember to remind the crew to install the gable vents. They like too forget.
    Last edited by biglentil; Jan 23, 2017, 22:35.

Comment

Make sure to get a "diamond door"with the "auto closer" feature. So sweet!!

You are welcome to come check out our latest pole shed...it is the 5th one in our Family...we love our pole sheds. I honestly think they are superior to steel structures in our Cold climate. Steel shines if you need to clear span wider than 100ft or so.

Comment

20 foot ceiling

Comment

Don't let any one tell you its big enough.

Put a pit for semi work or a hoist.

Best investment ever.

Comment

....another quarter of land, or a shop? LOL

Comment

Work - life - balance

You have to be fair:
              - more land vs warm holiday
              - shop vs warm holiday
              - land or shop vs family Disneyland
              - vs New half ton
              -etc
              -etc

Comment

Have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ ready!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                  20 foot ceiling
                  been thinking about that a lot , and not that much more $ , even our air drill will go in 17.5" . what have you noticed or advantages have you saw from 20' cieling ? our pole shed is 20'

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                    Have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$ ready!!!!!!!!
                    price has dropped $8k since last summer, I'm surprised how cheap it is , about $24 /sq. ft . completely finished with big bifold, overhead on side , both doors with electric openers . walk in door and windows . built, insulated and tinned inside , no power or gas, or cement floor at that price , some companies are already realizing good times are over !
                    Last edited by Guest; Jan 24, 2017, 09:07.

Comment

I know a guy that bought a picker truck at an RB auction in Edmonton . The truck had a big picker , not sure the size though.
                      He took the picker off and mounted it on the floor in his new shop. He can reach almost anywhere in that shop. Also has a good flat deck truck for cheap now .

Comment

That's one I haven't heard of, I don't mind that idea.

The movable big hoist for cars and semis are sweet, $

Comment

When we rebuilt our shed/shop after a fire in '09, we wanted to locate it to maximize the use of the sun in wintertime. So, we built it facing south/south-east.

We have a 16x24' overhead facing south and it is amazing how much warmth it collects throughout the daytime with even just weak sunshine. It will raise the temp in the shop by 10C on a clear day. Sure cuts the need for the boiler running.

We have in-floor heat which I would do again, but I think it would be helpful to supplement with some form of radiant for a quicker recovery when the door is opened in the winter - it's a quick chill with a door that size.

Also, we have only the one big overhead due to grade and space limitations on the shop frontage, but would benefit from a smaller overhead as well for loading or unloading goods, rather than having to open the big door for something as small as a single pallet of goods, etc.

We went with concrete sandwich wall - very little cost differential over pole, if any, considering the benefits.

Oh the things you think of after the fact!
                          Last edited by burnt; Jan 24, 2017, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                            Snap on 15 inch tin strip skirt around bottom, sprayfoam entire wall and skirt min of 2 inches thick. Concrete butts up to the top of the insulated skirt creating an important thermal break. Sprayfoam well worth it on the walls imo keeps the tin rigid and eliminates air infiltration. Accoustical caulk between the plies of the post as they can leak. Versaframe has best pricing on custom cut tin imo. I had my posts wrapped in blueskin 24 inches below ground and 12 inches above to give me some peace of mind that the posts won't rot off in my lifetime.

Oh ya and remember to remind the crew to install the gable vents. They like too forget.
                            Seems all pole sheds are lifting out of the ground around here. Yours okay? How to prevent that?
                            We did the insulation/Tin around foundation, 6" into the ground , 2" styro 2' out all around the base. Warm floor up to the wall.
                            Concrete never had frost, NO cracks. No floor heat, furnace recovers in a few minutes. South facing for ice/snow issues is a big deal.
                            Last edited by fjlip; Jan 24, 2017, 10:51.

Comment

Radiant heat. NO in floor and quick recovery equipment warms fast! Insulated good nice and cool in July! A shop worth as much as extra quarter at today's price!

Buy build bigger than you think you need! We might have to add a new section higher and bigger side door!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...