• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vertical tillage , high speed discs , mud , ruts, etc ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vertical tillage , high speed discs , mud , ruts, etc ?

have not tried any of the new tillage systems yet , what are people's thoughts on which ones work the best? we have ruts all over a foot deep , heavy straw on high spots , some uncombined straw in low spots, and water all over . is there any system that will help all of these ? hoping some of the water will be gone by spring . watched a video on degelman pro till , looked interesting , but like I said , have no experience with any of them ? scic $100/ac too wet to seed looking pretty probable right now. probably had 8-10" of moisture out of snow and rain so far in oct , fields are sliding into creeks and rivers all over , haven't saw the sun in October, no one has ever saw anything like it here, ever ....

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    have not tried any of the new tillage systems yet , what are people's thoughts on which ones work the best? we have ruts all over a foot deep , heavy straw on high spots , some uncombined straw in low spots, and water all over . is there any system that will help all of these ? hoping some of the water will be gone by spring . watched a video on degelman pro till , looked interesting , but like I said , have no experience with any of them ? scic $100/ac too wet to seed looking pretty probable right now. probably had 8-10" of moisture out of snow and rain so far in oct , fields are sliding into creeks and rivers all over , haven't saw the sun in October, no one has ever saw anything like it here, ever ....
    Sounds like you need a good old offset disk

Comment

The bigger farms here all had them a few yrs ago.now don't see them anymore.

Comment

My Kelley disc is a good all round machine! I'm still going but my days are counting down!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
          My Kelley disc is a good all round machine! I'm still going but my days are counting down!
          Does it fill deep ruts ,what kind pf ptice are they ?

Comment

Personally I'm looking at a tile plow, there's enough outlets beside me I think I can get value out of it. Just looking at draining sloughs not tiling entire quarter. Not sure 30k US to do a quarter is feasible. But I'd rather spend it on an asset that doesn't depreciate and the quarter is fixed for my lifetime. I hate paint. Still the cost of the plow and installing. ..and other obstacles, regulations.
            Last edited by macdon02; Oct 29, 2016, 13:08.

Comment

You can't be as wet as u always bitch if u are still able to work in your fields.

Comment

If you can get your hands on a case turbo till 330 or 335 it will work very well in mud and ruts . Also leaves a very good field finish that you can seed into .
                If you have rocks , the Kelly harrow will be better .

Comment

I heard the "rolling baskets" of the vertical tillage tools can fill with mud in wet conditions....Degelman Protill has the corrugated rubber drum packer option. Which option do you have bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                    The bigger farms here all had them a few yrs ago.now don't see them anymore.
                    Should be a lot of cheap units if it ever gets dry again.
                    These 100k + units aren't my cup of tea......

Comment

Lemkin's also work well in mud to fill ruts and leave a good field finish
                      Local Case dealer has a few new and used on the lot.
                      Like em or not , some of these machines are worth there metal in situations like this fall .
                      If you can deal with tough soil or straw conditions this fall you will save some valuable seeding time next spring .
                      A lot of guys would have liked to gain 4-5 days this past spring . Being able to seed 4 days earlier can gain 8 days at harvest time - might have been the difference between getting done harvest earlier and not have those few days left turn into a month of misery now .

Comment

Any tillage at all will COMPACT and make water infiltration slower....used disks and diskers, remember the "plow sole" effect. Even spiking compacts under the opener. Harrows compact WET soil too. That Kelly would ruin the muck we have here, SF3 your soil is not same as here.
                        Tractor tire tracks will be harder, all the combine tracks are packed hard. V ditchers pop out pulled over them.

Comment

We use the Gates coulter harrow now on 80% of our acres in the fall .
                          Very happy with the job it does after all crops . Very versatile unit . When wet we run the coulters deeper and back off on the harrows . When dryer I run the coulters shallower and use the harrows more aggressive.
                          Covers acres fast . We pull at 13-14 mph and can cover about 100 AC/hr.
                          To fill ruts though you have to hit those areas twice .

Comment

The Gumbo is done early in the season and as the fall goes we move north to Clay loam. It opens the ground up freeze drys a bit and then next spring when the sun finally comes out it drys quick. If you have to go again in spring you do in mornings and seed in after noons.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              Looks like the Kelly is doing a nice job. How deep is the field being worked? We have been unfortunate with the rain that the only tractors in the field here are for pulling grain carts or combines out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...