• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BinVigor?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BinVigor?

With the current price of canola and the price of canola seed it is getting awfully tempting to cancel the seed order and go to the bin for seed next year.

Has anyone seeded Invigor seed off of certified seed?What were your results?Would you do it again?

I am getting both success and horror stories so I am looking for a little more feedback.

I asked that question several months ago and got no response. Hopefully someone knows something.

Comment

I understand that the Saskatchewan Canola Development Commission is funding a research project with AAFC looking at just this idea. I think that they are looking at whether it will grow, what is the yield penalty(if any), agronomics and possibly oil quality. Call Roy Button at SCDC 306-975-0262 for more info.

Comment

The Invigor's are hybrids, unless they have an OP somewhere. But just like the corn hybrids, the following generation don't turn out to be anywhere close as productive. My expertise isn't in plant breeding so I can't give any details to elaborate.

But maybe this is just company bull to convince us to keep buying their seed.

Comment

The results I've heard so far and this is only one year of data, and that's a 10% yield loss by going with a binvigor. This was a side by side trial done with a weigh wagon. Again, it was one trial so you can't read to much into it. The results may be drastically different next year. Who knows?

Comment

Do not listen to the chem companies they are in it to make a huge profit.
            we are still getting roughly the same yields as 1970's when we started in it.

its not the seed thats getting us there its the anhydrous at 100lbs.

any way have done and will continue to do 1st generation seed. floweres a little longer is only thing.

there blowing smoke up your ass.

farmers have long been ripped off disease control is anouther last year 160 acres wheat treated field next not difference over the scale is 1 .5 bushels or 6.00 an acre difference cost 12 an acre plus custom rate 4 equals 16 loss 10.00 an acre and it rained every day.

farmers have to start thinking, we are at the bottom of the food chain and as long as we do nothing we will all slowly die!!!

Comment

One more thing THe local chem rep drives a Hummer!
              Chem companies are trying to shut down the boarders to farmers bringing in imports of cheap glyfos etc. most of the top chem we use on the farm have there patents run out in the next year or two. and they are worried.
              Farmers quit playing dead and start fighting for your industry.

Comment

I have heard guys doing it it good results...the question is what value do you put on treatments...flea beetles and such. It is harder and harder to find seed treatments for your own use in canola. Personally I would be weary.

Comment

Seed treatment is available for 1.00 a lb it works just as good.

you sould like a chemical rep.

30 years of growing canola and work for chem companys I think I know what I am talking about.

but be like the rest of the sheep

thank
                  s

Comment

I'm interested in your 2 cents, murray and emile...

I've seen it done a few times, with mixed results. I'm not sure I'd say "smoke up my ass", but, in most cases the hybrids didn't really seem to behave like corn hybrids... Seed treatment is an issue, but not an insurmountable one. I've had better luck killing flea beetles with Matador, than any seed treatment, in either case.
                    I guess I'm saying Try it and see. Likewise with fungicides, if you don't see a return, don't use them. I have, and will continue using them.

Comment

To the corn boy we arent talking corn were talking canola big difference big difference plant make up etc.
                      3000 acres a year for 6 years with positive results. Keep sticking with your chemical companys and see how long youll be farming

Comment

Saskfarmer, you are saying that LL canola will do almost as good in the first generation as the certified? Is that correct? Did you try some into the second generation??

Comment

Dont touch second generation!
                          Dont touch second generation!
                          All the talk is great but the big thing most farmers dont realize is fertility.
                          most over shoot one part and neglect the other then feel it was a great crop look throughout whole field. GPS yeild mapping and topographic map help see the results. Most farmers think their yield monitor in the combine is the gospel truth. well we had 92 wheat then "in places"
                          Study the real facts and one will see.

Comment

A study presented by Neil Harker this fall at the canola industry meeting tried to display which input was most important to canola yield. Everything from genetics to fertility, weed control, half rates, full rates of chem, fert, seed etc.

In a nutshell, every situation is different in terms of how canola responds to certain inputs. The one consistant result came from genetics. It compared open pollinated to hybrids and the hybrids came out on top.
                            The fertilizer did not have the same impact as the 110-40-0-20 blend yielded no better than the half rate of fertilizer. The nutrients in the soil were already fairly good, so the canola did not respond to the full rate of fertilizer. I believe the yields were in the high 60's. Canola's responsiveness to fertilizer has alot to do with what nutrients are in the soil already and the environmental conditions that follow. Yield response is a function of many things and not just one or two.

Comment

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

Now that thats out of the way!
                              After 25 years of growing every variety etc trying every thing etc. I think I know what I am talking about yes every situation is different but one thing is constant There is really no big yield advantage from 30 years ago. So with all the BS one would have 100 Plus yields by now if all the experts talked about was true.
                              but really our yields have gained maybe a little but not to the degree the costs have increased and took profit out of Canola and left the farmer with nothing.
                              THats the point to all this Farmers who continue down the path of thinking there getting further ahead should do income tax and financial planning and see that Most farmers dont get the big yields they brag about and are loosing money hand over fist.
                              Now what I am trying to get across is that every thing the experts tell you isnt always TRUE!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...