• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola seed are white after frost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola seed are white after frost

Just wondering if someone can anything new to my situation. The canola I harvested has a large percentage of white shriveled seeds. Some of the neighbours have nicer looking (black) canola, although small seeds. Some of these crops were greener when the frost hit.

Is there any explanation beyond the stage of my crop and temp it got too. I can't explain why the field across the road wasn't hit as hard, even though it was later. Differences in canopy cover?

Where are you at? What kinds of temps did you see? Most importantly, what kind of disease pressure (specifically Sclerotinia) were you seeing? I'd be less inclined to suggest frost, in your case, as I would to suggest Disease. Especially seeing as the later ('greener'?) crop was not as affected. I've seen, here, the earlier, denser crops more affected with Sclerotinia than the later ones. Disease is a timing thing.

Comment

Much of the frozen canola is white/grey and shrivelled. Most is comming out as dockage. Canola I sprayed with ronalin still has the white shrivelled seeds in it but no sclerotia in the sample. The unsprayed has a small percentage of sclerotia in the top screen when doing dockage. The sclerotia is black, often an oval shape sometimes mistaken for canola (looks like mouse crap)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your crop. Your not the only one with it. We noticed that the frost hurt varieties differently. We had one field that had invigor 2733 and highlite 289. The invigor beat it hands down. It had less white seed, and bigger blacker seed to. I'm hearing the same from some friends of mine. Sounds like RR canola got hit bad.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...