• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday week 5

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    I agree on the same thing. little Kids dont deserve to die. Now i cant figure out why we cant have mass immigration from South African Farmers? They can die just farming.
    There certainly is mass immigration of south Africans in the Quill lake/Watson/Naicam and growing outwards rapidly. Good farmers, can manage laborers, LoL. But holy, do they seem to have unlimited funds. For how bad it is in South Africa , profitability was apparently not one of their problems.

Comment

Drills moving again yesterday in area on lighter ground and areas that had less than 1/2 in this past 5 days .
      A few just NW of here are 1/3 done or better already. Some started a week ago or longer on drier ground .
      We will get started today and see how things go . Clay soils here can be finicky to deal with .
      Time to get going before next system though , get drills out and tested to make sure there are no unexpected issues.
      Will be tricky spraying with temps , wind and the next rain event on how far ahead to spray .
      1 st time in years it will be warranted ahead of seeding this early in May .
      don’t want to spray anything that won’t get seeded before the next system starts as weeds are popping every day now .
      Have done lots of “pre burn” after seeding to just before emergence but that will be a challenge with weather conditions like this .

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        I agree on the same thing. little Kids dont deserve to die. Now i cant figure out why we cant have mass immigration from South African Farmers? They can die just farming.
        Apartheid ended in 1994 (30 years ago). If South African farmers wanted to come to Canada, they would have been here by now.

Ukrainian immigrantes and refugees are filling the voild very effectively.

Do you not see the amount of Ukrainians filling all types of jobs in Regina?

Retail, mechanics, trades, fast food, etc etc.

The very jobs born and bred Canadians won't do because it's beneath them.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Apartheid ended in 1994 (30 years ago). If South African farmers wanted to come to Canada, they would have been here by now.

Ukrainian immigrantes and refugees are filling the voild very effectively.

Do you not see the amount of Ukrainians filling all types of jobs in Regina?

Retail, mechanics, trades, fast food, etc etc.

The very jobs born and bred Canadians won't do because it's beneath them.
          South Africa has become a very dangerous place. Young couples are leaving steadily. Many young South African mechanics at dealerships locally now.

So many that they speak Africans in the backshop. Good workers.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimeOperator View Post
            $145 plus inflation?

Looks like a backfire to me.

Canola just went from $24 to $14.

And rent goes up? WTF?

They won’t be farming long.
            Rumors of guys getting $185 - $200 last fall. If they signed up a 3 yr deal they are in the money.

And if you have seen any BTOs, they are insatiable. They dont care about margins. Only way to stay ahead of the insane inflation is add more, even its a break even. You can fiddle that on your financials to look like a star.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post

South Africa has become a very dangerous place. Young couples are leaving steadily. Many young South African mechanics at dealerships locally now.

So many that they speak Africans in the backshop. Good workers.
              Good to hear.

I'm for any immigrant who's trained with skills and ready to work and wants to become a Canadian and contribute to the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Good to hear.

I'm for any immigrant who's trained with skills and ready to work and wants to become a Canadian and contribute to the economy.
                Yup it is a good thing, I have no problem with seeing immigrants working, doesn't matter if it at Walmart , Macdonalds, or the local equipment dealers . I always feel bad when I can't understand them , because they are contributing.

now if Canada could send back the radical flag wavers to their home country, things would be better.

And I don't think people would frown on immigrants as much.

Comment

Got my bill from Cat yesterday $190/hr you would think that would leave a bit of room to pay a good wage. Wrench pulling signs along hiway every where you go and don't be in a hurry to get something fixed.

Comment

Got the SR going , on damp side for sure but not bad .
                    next rain will definitely be on wet side for a few days

Comment

Furrow how is the trash clearance on the SR. There is one for sale at Youngs 2023 model , kinda interested . Also how much rain did you get that your able to go.

Comment

3/4 in rain , standing wheat stubble not harrowed . Having a bit of grief in a few areas but mostly ok
                        any wetter and we would have to go ahead a day or two with coulter harrow .
                        If it’s been harrowed I can’t see it being an issue
                        a last year was very good but much different conditions than now . Will know in a few more hours now that sun it out
                        Last edited by furrowtickler; May 4, 2024, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                          Got my bill from Cat yesterday $190/hr you would think that would leave a bit of room to pay a good wage. Wrench pulling signs along hiway every where you go and don't be in a hurry to get something fixed.
                          My sprayer that was booked in to the local RME dealership for a once-over last November still has not got called in. Their stories went from, "we'll get it in next week when our sprayer guy gets back from training" to "it'll be a couple weeks" to "we don't know"

Rumors are half the back shop got fed-up and walked out en masse sometime this winter. Coincidentally, I also heard the Pattison shop now has one or two new techs that work exclusively on red equipment.

As the World Turns

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post

My sprayer that was booked in to the local RME dealership for a once-over last November still has not got called in. Their stories went from, "we'll get it in next week when our sprayer guy gets back from training" to "it'll be a couple weeks" to "we don't know"

Rumors are half the back shop got fed-up and walked out en masse sometime this winter. Coincidentally, I also heard the Pattison shop now has one or two new techs that work exclusively on red equipment.

As the World Turns
                            They were working on combines a week ago. FFS.

Comment

Gossip a while back that half of Brandt Deere techs quit too, can't confirm. Pattison might be on top.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
                                Furrow how is the trash clearance on the SR. There is one for sale at Youngs 2023 model , kinda interested . Also how much rain did you get that you’re able to go.
                                Learned a few things the past 24 hours .
                                We set the trash clearing thingy up too high to start working when shanks engaged, Thus it was plunging on headlands . But just briefly, but then you screwed in wet conditions .
                                got that sorted out and all good .
                                If wet just do headlands after
                                it was only where excessive trash or pre seeded areas was the minor issues . Again not harrowed
                                Spray tracks are an issue as with most drills

My ideal set up would be that SR with a single shank , paired row with furrow closers.
                                7-8 mph in any conditions
                                After running Dutch paired row openers set up right I would never ever run a twin shank , simply too much shit in the ground unnecessarily IMO that causes grief in anything less than ideal conditions.
                                All they are is a fricken straw rake at times, all of them no matter the make of drill .

was not a huge issue, but something to think about
                                10 days ago it was not even on our minds as we were heading into another bone dry seeding season lol
                                Last edited by furrowtickler; May 6, 2024, 00:56.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...