• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conveyor to speed up seeding?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conveyor to speed up seeding?

Looking at field loader conveyors to load the air cart to speed up loading times. Jumped from 3600 acres to 5800 this year. Hoping to do it with one 60’ air drill and a 500 bushel tank. Remember, we are in northeast Alberta. The seeding season is about 35 days max if no delays from rain.

Trying to stick to one drill due to not having an experienced enough operator to run a second drill. The bottleneck last year was the auger on the air cart. Took close to an hour per fill. Thinking 15 minutes with a conveyor.

Looking at convey all, batco, and Brandt. What are people’s opinions on these brands? I have no experience with conveyors whatsoever.

One guy I just started renting from said he would come help with his drill if I fall behind, but I don’t want to have to rely on that.

The Brandt is very good , we use it with seed master .

Comment

That is what I have been reading online, yet I phoned my local dealer, and they were tentative to sell one to me citing multiple issues they have had with them. Something doesn’t add up.

It does settle my mind that you say they are good furrow. You seem like a no BS character lol.

Comment

58’ should be able to seed your acres quite comfortably. The tank is maybe a bit small though. Depends on what you’re seeding I guess. Lots of filling can be a pain. Sounds like you have enough days to seed those acres though. A Batco or Brandt are the obvious choices. We have one of each both are nice. We had to use one couple yrs ago as the belting on the conveyor on the tank piled up. It’s definitely quicker.
        If you can I would be looking for a bigger tank down the road.

Comment

They did have some engine issues a few years ago , but as far as the conveyor it’s self , it’s very decent.
          just keep it greased , aligned and maintained
          I am sure other brands are very good as well , local seed farm has several Batco’s , they say all newer ones are decent

Comment

Sorry should have said “60”. Those two ft could make a big difference at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
              58’ should be able to seed your acres quite comfortably. The tank is maybe a bit small though. Depends on what you’re seeding I guess. Lots of filling can be a pain. Sounds like you have enough days to seed those acres though. A Batco or Brandt are the obvious choices. We have one of each both are nice. We had to use one couple yrs ago as the belting on the conveyor on the tank piled up. It’s definitely quicker.
              Yes a bigger tank is in the plans in the future. Look around for a year or two and hopefully find some kind of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                They did have some engine issues a few years ago , but as far as the conveyor it’s self , it’s very decent.
                just keep it greased , aligned and maintained
                I am sure other brands are very good as well , local seed farm has several Batco’s , they say all newer ones are decent
                Maybe the engine is what he was referring to? He never really elaborated. These are old stock units.

Really like the look of the Batco, but utx3 is $11,000 more than the old stock brandts. I guess the brandts don’t have canola belts though. Have augers to load trucks with canola. Will just run canola seed up into air cart through the conveyor. Shouldn’t need canola belt for that.

Comment

Never say "should".
                  100 acres per foot in this area nearly requires 24 hr operation.
                  We don't know his fert type. The more dry, the more it matters.
                  We don't know his rates.
                  Fill times can be critical.
                  Conveyors work.

Comment

I pushed hard couple yrs with 72’ 700 bu tank 8600 ac. One of those yrs ran 48 hrs no sleep. After that went to two drills and more dirt.
                    Now back to one, way less dirt, and enjoying it a lot better.

The yr we used the conveyor we always had someone in the tractor to move ahead to the next tank.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post

Never say "should".
                      100 acres per foot in this area nearly requires 24 hr operation.
                      We don't know his fert type. The more dry, the more it matters.
                      We don't know his rates.
                      Fill times can be critical.
                      Conveyors work.
                      Yeah 100 acres/foot is really pushing it around here, as we usually get a few rain delays. Although with how dry it is this year, I don’t think we will be waiting very long for the soil to dry. Might not get any rain the way it has been going. Lol

All dry fert, 285 lbs/acre of blend on canola, and 200 lbs/acre on cereals. So not crazy high rates. All put down at seeding.
                      Last edited by flea beetle; Apr 8, 2024, 09:06.

Comment

I pushed hard couple yrs with 72’ 700 bu tank 8600 ac. One of those yrs ran 48 hrs no sleep. After that went to two drills and more dirt.
                        Now back to one, way less dirt, and enjoying it a lot better.

The yr we used the conveyor we always had someone in the tractor to move ahead to the next tank.
                        Thinking of hooking the conveyor behind the seedhawk to move fields. Have a tow between tank.

Comment

When I was all dry and a 3 compartment 440 tank I had occasional blends requiring 26 ac fills. So it's entirely situation specific of course. Labor another.

Comment

Will a 50’ conveyor be long enough to pull the drill straight in parallel to the truck and fill, then take conveyor down and pull straight out without having to move the truck?

or you guys think I need a 58’? That would only leave the convey all if that is the case.

Comment

Bought the 20” x 55’ Meridian. Wanted the length and it looked the most refined. And installed a big hanging downspout.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...