• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring runoff and empty dugouts etc??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a surprising amount of runoff, considering we had virtually no snow all winter. And we already had one runoff event a month and a half ago. All from the snow we've got in the last few weeks. It was a short-lived snowmobile season locally. I only plowed snow once all winter.

At home the fields are still White. Water is running, but nowhere near the peak yet. A few miles Southwest we have land that is already bare. A few miles Southeast I have a quarter that has already peaked a few days ago. And 20 mi East we have land that still looks like winter.
    Same story every spring.
    Small area is the last place to lose its snow, the last place to get leaves on the trees.
    And at the other end of the season, with the last place to lose the leaves and the last place to quit growing no matter how dry it is.

Sounds like we have a foot or more of snow in the forecast.

Comment

Our experience has been that during dry periods, the runoff needs to be managed. We can get fast and furious melts and if you don't catch it then it's gone. Snow no longer in our forecast now.

Comment

The big slough by our yard is receding again. In my short life I’ve seen it go dry and be farmed for 12 years, fill up to 13’ depth and start to recede. Since the family has been here it has done this 3 other times. Looks to be on a 30 year timeframe. My kid is licking his lips cause his field is growing. That was one of my first fields as well. Doesn’t bode well for surface water. This was the first winter I never sent the cows out to the hills to winter because of no snow to pick. Even spring picking could be tough as our plentiful sloughs are drying out. Should be adequate but it’s a concern. In the drought years before we had lots of dugouts in slough bottoms so that should hold us but I’ve seen them dry out in extreme drought. It’ll be serious if a significant moisture event doesn’t come our way soon. Grass is pooched without April moisture.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Looks like a prolonged wet snow event Red Deer to Medicine Hat and through SW Alberta
          could be significant in some areas
          hopefully a few posters on here like Hemloc and Helmsdale get a pile of moisture from that system
          Galaxy May even get a fair amount .
          Finger, Toes, and Nuts thoroughly crossed!

Dug a hole for the car-chasing dog here two days ago. Dampish soil for the top 3-4", then absolutely nothing below that. You can drive nearly anywhere you want with a two wheel drive truck in stubble fields currently.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Finger, Toes, and Nuts thoroughly crossed!

Dug a hole for the car-chasing dog here two days ago. Dampish soil for the top 3-4", then absolutely nothing below that. You can drive nearly anywhere you want with a two wheel drive truck in stubble fields currently.
            Did the dog succeed at catching a car? Or perhaps fail would be a better choice of a word.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              unlicenced
              Did the dog succeed at catching a car? Or perhaps fail would be a better choice of a word.
              To quote a old Ukrainian in court over his unlicensed dog, dog no need license he no drive.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Looks like a prolonged wet snow event Red Deer to Medicine Hat and through SW Alberta
                could be significant in some areas
                hopefully a few posters on here like Hemloc and Helmsdale get a pile of moisture from that system
                Galaxy May even get a fair amount .
                So far we have had about two inches of snow. Calving cows at the moment , so my snow is a love/hate relationship. Still snowing here but light stuff , but it will soak into the farmland. We had really good runoff in places and filled most of my dugouts. Would like to work on some machinery , but cows are keeping me busy.

Take care all.

Comment

They had a tough winter in Mongolia.

https://Mongolian herders have endur... open steppes.

Full story:

Comment

Wonder how much these herders have been impacted by the growth of crop farming on the more arable regions? Been a push to develop crop farming for food security and economic growth. Nomads get pushed into the junkier areas. I heard stories from guys running farms over there having to fence every acre of crop to keep livestock out. Interesting and heartbreaking situation for traditional herders. I wonder though if grazing management is similar to Bedouin herders. Sheep and goats bugger more ground with poor management than anything else. Horses come in closely behind them. Lots of places in Asia and Africa completely screwed and turned to dessert from grazing goats and sheep. Proper grazing management is something that could save the world as much as reducing pollution and actually help clean up pollution.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...