• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring runoff and empty dugouts etc??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring runoff and empty dugouts etc??

Took a bit of a drive around and wow even with this last snow could not
    believe how low dugouts are and with snow melt appearing to freezing out
    doesnt look like very much water to replenish a massive area of water??
    livestock guys are selling out even with the better prices just no options for
    water. How dry is the subsoil everywhere?

What sub soil. The only reason there are water puddles is because it got warm in Jan and froze just alittle of the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
      What sub soil. The only reason there are water puddles is because it got warm in Jan and froze just alittle of the surface.
      Which is why snow amount is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post

Actually thats not always true, In our area dugouts replenish with a good runoff,
        other wise we need more than half a foot of rain before anything runs to the dugouts.
        especially with no sub soil rains will be soaking in and not running. Also pastures have
        taken a beating last how ever many years and being bare most of the winter
        I dont think helps. Crop wise the only reason some areas had any crop was due
        to the snow melt moisture.

Comment

Dugouts filled here with the last snow.But the big water bodies on my land had very little the last 10 years go into it.This fall they will be equal to the lowest I have ever seen it since 1980s. water body is 80 acres and 15 feet deep usually.this fall it will be 25 acres 8 feet deep.Has never been dry that anyone has ever known.

Comment

Will be about the same as last year here , around average . There will be some runoff , has not started yet other than by town .
            But with zero subsoil , the tank is empty so still extremely cautious after last year .
            Without an inch of rain every 10 days through till August , the crop will run out of gas by June 20 th like last year .
            Hopefully Drew Learner is right and western Sask , Eastern Alberta get the rains they desperately deserve after the past 3 plus years . Some are 5-6 years without any meaningful rain in the growing season SW of here and the area between here and Stoon

Comment

Snowmobiles were still given er this weekend north of town .

Comment

40 fires burning already in alberta. Subsoil moisture isnt great...but 3 yrs ago we were coming out of 2 straight yrs of 25+ inches summer rain....seeded may, things looked great...july turned round and things torched. Single digit yields across the board. Im young enough to be dumb but old enough to have my own beliefs...and subsoil.moisture doesnt mean much to me. If we dont get canada day rains then we are done anyways so no sense in panicking right now.
                i AM.however concerned about smoke days and delayed crops. Ive adjusted my " expected seeding dates" and even tweedled some varieties and crops we are growing. Just try to give ourselves the best possible chance to succeed...

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post

Location, location, location.

Drop by with an empty dugout for an over fill. So far it's been an on again, off again, slow melt.

Comment

Doesn’t look like there will be any runoff here. The only other year we did not have runoff in my lifetime was 2002 and we don’t want a repeat of that year.

Comment

My son works out of Canmore and said this the Lowest snow pack since records have been kept in the 50's. Fire season could be a BAD one

Comment

No runoff here. Snow almost gone. No subsoil moisture. Dugouts/sloughs never filled….gonna need timely rains, or it could be slim pickin’s

Comment

One to two feet of heavy wet snow this week in Alberta will fill some water holes and recharge any dry ground. Looks like ditto here in most of Sask.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
                            One to two feet of heavy wet snow this week in Alberta will fill some water holes and recharge any dry ground. Looks like ditto here in most of Sask.
                            Looks like a prolonged wet snow event Red Deer to Medicine Hat and through SW Alberta
                            could be significant in some areas
                            hopefully a few posters on here like Hemloc and Helmsdale get a pile of moisture from that system
                            Galaxy May even get a fair amount .

Comment

They took the snow and cold out of the forecast for us. There was some trickles of runoff off the hills but it’s done already. Friends invited us over for a fire the other night since it won’t be long before that can’t happen if things don’t change. Lots of dugouts were too low last year and not looking good on that front. I think we’ll be putting in a bunch of waterline this spring if Ma Nature doesn’t change things up soon.

Blowing and +15 today……….
                              Fun times

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...