• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cropping Plans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cropping Plans

I dont think I have ever struggled more with my cropping plans, canola acres will be the same but struggling with my cereal acres.....used to grow a decent amount of barley but how the hell can a person be excited about it if it doesn't make malt? Feed barley price really sucks, is wheat and more oats the answer?

Farm and region specific.
    DYOD
    Here, malt/feed spreads have indicated oversupply for years.
    Specialty - unhedgable- crops like oats and barley need to yield and easily over supplied. Bly is bucking China/Aus buying and corn price. That only changes periodically.
    For us peas are the standby niche crop. Still only 10% of acres max.
    For a big area here, it's max canola, remainder wheat, every year.

Comment

switching it up this year...usually wheat and canola, now going canola and wheat.
      KISS principle.

Comment

If I don't sell something may have to rent more out.

Comment

Has anyone tried AAC Hodge cwrs?

Comment

Wheat and canola rotation here. No peas for few years now. Someone else can watch them die in July.

Hodge looked good all year. Ended up yielding second best on the farm but would have never guessed that. It had every box checked end of June, burnt up in July. Will seed most to it in 2024. Starbuck and Brandon on the rest.

Comment

We had a couple of of quarters of Hodge, the rest was Starbuck. We did a side by side and didn’t see much difference in yield. All said we produced this crop on less than 4”, and looked like the Hodge may of had a bit of advantage as it seen a few more longer swaths of low lying land. Hodge may be a half day earlier and lodging resistance was a no go this year. We will probably seed more Starbuck than Hodge this year and try doing another trial again and cross our fingers for more rain this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                Wheat and canola rotation here. No peas for few years now. Someone else can watch them die in July.

Hodge looked good all year. Ended up yielding second best on the farm but would have never guessed that. It had every box checked end of June, burnt up in July. Will seed most to it in 2024. Starbuck and Brandon on the rest.
                Does the Hodge stand good?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post

Does the Hodge stand good?
                  Yes stood very good in the sloughs where the combine went into 3 digits. Rest of field was half the yield due to drought, so can’t say for sure what it would have done with lots of rain.

Comment

I wouldn't write off barley for next year yet. It looks to me like the feedlots who booked corn are now paying significantly more for landed corn than they would have been for barley at today's prices.
                    I don't expect that will happen 2 years in a row.

Comment

We grew 3 qtrs of hodge and weren’t really impressed. Yielded a little less than Brandon. It also lodged a little bit.

Comment

The rest of the world won’t need to seed lentils as there will be enough for all next yr.

Comment

Same plan... I try not to chase. I prefer to grow things that sort of work here. Those things being crops that will at least attempt to reproduce seed in a drought.

*Sawfly resistant durum
                          *peas
                          *yellow mustard

That said, if it doesnt get wet in a serious manner, nothing is going to matter, it'll all end up looking like shitty summerfallow.

-Dugouts empty
                          -moisture nonexistant from surface to water table (which is dropping)

Comment

Dugout is full not a snowflake in sight, so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                              We had a couple of of quarters of Hodge, the rest was Starbuck. We did a side by side and didn’t see much difference in yield. All said we produced this crop on less than 4”, and looked like the Hodge may of had a bit of advantage as it seen a few more longer swaths of low lying land. Hodge may be a half day earlier and lodging resistance was a no go this year. We will probably seed more Starbuck than Hodge this year and try doing another trial again and cross our fingers for more rain this year.
                              Ok thanks for the info I think I will try some Starbuck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...