• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Good morning this weeks report will be quick since dad crossed the field to the other side yesterday at almost 95. He started farming with his dad when he didn’t go back to school in grade 9. Can you imagine how much ag changed in that time. He took my grandfathers farm and more than doubled it. One of the first to go No till way way way back. It was a good run RIP.

Ok in Sask the NDP want parents to have no say in what goes on in school just the teacher student relationship.

Trudeau plunges some more in the polls so he has a retreat to try to figure out why Canadians hate him.

Just take your walk in the sand.

Ok crop report.

It did rain in parts of Sask this week.

Some early yields are bad but better than 2021. I still stick with my estimate of just over 2021 for final results.

Sask crop is saved due to late rains because farmers now will have more bushels less claim.

Harvest is 3% at our farm but I’m guessing provincially at 9%.

Crop report.
    Hrs and Durum
    Some early wheat is harvested and graded a strong #1. But with rains the companies will now call everything a 2. A lot of wheat is starting to get shut down and in two weeks we will be full harvest mode. Yields aren’t last year numbers but very good in our area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71424057341__EDBCC404-C64A-4303-B649-FD43E2DF6074.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	780522

Barley is either harvested or would go as soon as it drys up. Early is a bit chitted but nice colour and plump.
    Yield good. Round bales very good numbers per field.
    Rain fall wasn’t that big this event so maybe it will be ok. 1/2 in.

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	780523
    Peas and lentils are almost all harvested in our area. We have 4 quarters to go and yielding ok.

Name:	IMG_1350.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	780524

Flax and canary are changing and some has been sprayed.

Canola the late now looks really good and the early is colour changing. One half sprayed just on other side of valley. Our early will get shut down this week. Yield looks ok but not last years numbers. Smaller seeds.

Hay has some fields getting a second cut and pastures like the rains in august.

So I wouldn’t say we’re full harvest mode as most are just starting. A frost in the next 10 days would have grade issues but that’s all. Rain and then extreme heat might have some issues as next week the furnace turns higher again.

Have a great week and stay safe.

Only a bit of barley off here, very few peas inthe area. Local elevator says most samples coming in are chatted so this last warm rainy spell will only make that worse.
    95 years is a good long life that would have seen so many changes.
    It’s never easy losing your parents. Everyday there are things to remind you and questions you want to ask.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Dad . It is part of the circle of life that is never easy to accept or deal with . My Dad has been gone since 2021 , he was 94. There have been a 1000 questions I have had that can't be answered , but He left me and my siblings with a lot to go on.

Take care.

Comment

My harvest report is similar to Redleaf, a little barley off and not much for peas in the immediate area.
        I was talking to a friend in town the other day, he lives 15 miles east of me. They have been very happy with their yellow peas, standing good and yielding well. Wheat in our area is just starting to be pre-harvested. Some second cut alfalfa being done, looks to be about a bale an acre.

My condolences on the passing of your father. It is never easy. Mom passed 2 months ago at the age of 92. It sounds like your father had a good life. There are always questions you would like to ask.

Comment

Condolences for your loss SF. Lost my dad two years ago, think of him every day.

Almost got our peas finished Tuesday. All that's left is the lodged parts of the field and that wont help with another inch of rain on the already saturated ground. Recipe for a malt wreck would be a bunch of rain followed by a bunch of heat. That's where we are at. Sprayers are starting to desiccate. There are lots of weeds and variability in the fields this year. Canola and barley ok for the most part. Wheat is going to be highly variable.

Comment

Condolences SF. It’s never easy.

Comment

Condolences SF

Comment

Sympathies to you and your family at this time.

If you have memories of your parents that's good.
                If they are plentiful and warm that's a blessing for a lifetime.

Comment

Got a reminder that a sprayer can get stuck in a field in August yesterday. Made it through as tank was empty at the time. Sprayed pre harvest on wheat before there was more rain last evening. The wheat is poor as the first crop was ripe 10 days ago and the second crop is coming very slowly. It has late flush weeds coming through so glad the gly got on before additional rain. Barley needs the second growth to ripen a bit more and needs dry weather so the ripe stuff does not fall down onto mud. Will be a decent crop if it dries up. Canola is about a week from swathing as some will be dead ripe and others spots green at swathing time but an average crop if the weather dries up. Some dessicated peas east of me were looking good but now no sure if they will get them as they got more rain last evening.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your loss SF3. Your father obviously left a legacy that you have continued on.

Comment

Yes a lot of questions about their early history that never got answered is one of my biggest regrets,
                      although some were captured in the local history books that were written in the early 80's.
                      Every time I read a community history book, you read about the tough times most families had and now in contrast how government leaders have complete disrespect for taxpayers dollars shoveling money out to only ares they think they will be rewarded at election time.

Two terms and your out would eliminate some of this bribe money but not all.

It's literally a crime.

Comment

sorry about your loss saskfarmer

Comment

Sincere sympathy SF, a long life well-lived is such a gift. RIP

Comment

Back working today it time to shut wheat down

Comment

Sorry to hear, my sympathies to you and the family. Lost mine in January at 100+. Yes the changes that Gen lived. Starting from ZERO as immigrates with his parents to the tech we have today. Worked with mine all my life. Remember their lives, their contributions, retell your kids and grands. Be thankful for that many years. Keep living working as they would love to see us farm, mine did.

You look DRY, neatly 1" here, wet wet. Canola soon ready to cut.
                              Last edited by fjlip; Aug 24, 2023, 09:14.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...