• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizer question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct seed, feed that seed… only…precision placement at time of seeding… 30% with seed (starter) 70% in deep band using high soluble fertilizer 2” below seedrow like crystal green P2O5… K2O in band also… 21-0-0-24 for S.

1000 ways to fertilize a crop! The lower the risk, increased efficiency…the better.

Blessings and salutations

Comment

The juice openers in the fall help us get going in may in the swamp other wise we would seed in June lotsa years
      Every area is different

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        The juice openers in the fall help us get going in may in the swamp other wise we would seed in June lotsa years
        Every area is different
        That’s the way we used to seed when we were using sweeps but moved to direct seeding all in one pass. There is a lot of years I wish we had the fertilizer on in the fall to help dry out and warm the soil in the spring, so far I have resisted.
        Last edited by Sodbuster; Oct 9, 2022, 15:58.

Comment

We mostly just do ground going to canola
          The cereals are usually zero till , double shoot dry 3/4” away from seed with an atom jet opener, no sweeps here just 3/4” knives, usually around 280-300 lbs product
          Opening ground in fall Gains us a week in the spring which turns into two in the fall
          And last few years juice is way cheaper in the fall
          This stuff $.87
          Last edited by Guest; Oct 9, 2022, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            We mostly just do ground going to canola
            The cereals are usually zero till , no sweeps here just 3/4” knives
            Gains us a week in the spring which turns into two in the fall
            And last few years juice is way cheaper in the fall
            This stuff $.87
            Also NH3 does not add extra salt to the soil , and whatever filler is put in the other 54% of the 46-0-0

Comment

We were told yrs ago NH3 makes the soil hard..
              Most zero till guys here use dry..

Comment

Couldn’t imagine going to dry, with our current setup using juice we can seed at least 160 acres a fill. If we were using dry we would have to handle and store a extra 600 tonnes plus replacing more hoses and we’d lose our 2’ of overlap provided with our pinpoint Nh3 system and be lucky to get 100 acres a fill using at least 200 more pounds a acre. With dry in canola I’d have to put down over 400 lbs which I doubt that the cart could handle without having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                  We were told yrs ago NH3 makes the soil hard..
                  Most zero till guys here use dry..
                  Was told 45 years ago nh3 will gain 30 percent, I have seen it, since quit using it haven't grown the crops. Lost our dealer support.

Comment

NH3 vs Urea

Urea toxicity is well known… NH3 is little different, the release of the nitrogen is slower, because the N concentration is higher with NH3

Anhydrous ammonia applied to the soil initially has
                    an alkaline effect around the point of application~ However the ammonia nitrogen is gradually oxidised through the nitrification
                    ion process and therefore the final result iN an increase in acidity in the soil. The degree of acidity per unit of nitrogen applied is similar to urea or ammoniUJfi nitrate9 i.e.
                    about 36 ow·t. Ca Co. per m1it otC nitrogen. Sulphate of ammonia. is much more acid forming - 107 cwt. Caco3 per unit of nitrogen.
                    .Ammonia can attach itsalf to the clay particles in wet or dry soils~ In a wet soil the ammonia dis~olves in the soil mois'ture 9 as it is ·very soluble 9 and forms NR40H. The ammonium ions having a positive charge take theirlplace on exchange s:j.i:es of the clay particles perhaps displacing bases
                    such as ca++ Mg++ or K+. When the ammonia is $.applied in 9
                    dry so].1 it ca:n combine with a hydrogen ion on an! exchange site and thus result in exchangeable ammonium ions. ~oil organic matter also provides exchange sites to retain theIammonia. However9 some ammonia can also be fixed in an unavailable form by the orgar:dc matter.

Anhydrous ammonia is applied in a very narrow band. This means that the concentration of ammonia around the point of application is very highof Free ammonia is toxic to organisms so that this application of ammonia usually~sterilises a band around the point of applicationo This means that there are no nitrifying bacteria present in this zone to change the ammonium nitrogen into nitrite nigrogen and subsequently to nitrate. This limits leaching for a time. Gradually these bacteria carry on nitrification around the perimeter of this zone and gradually work their way into the centre to finally recolonise the whole zone.”

Comment

Also looking at MES 15 versus 11-52. MES lowers your pounds per acre at the same nutrient levels. I think it is a good product but will cost me just over $7 more per acre. Any thoughts? Is it worth the additional $7 over using 11-52 and 21-0-0-24?

Comment

Banding elemental sulfur is a bad practice. If you don't actually need sulfur then any source will work. Paying an extra $7/ac for convenience seems extravagant to me. How can you tell I'm in the business of selling MAP and sulfate?

Do what works for you but over time if you broadcast elemental sulfur you can likely raise your base level in the soil to the point where a relatively small amount of sulfate S in the seed row is all you need. Buy the cheapest elemental shit you can get your hands on and put it on the canola stubble so it has as long as possible to oxidize ahead of the next canola crop.

The whole schtick about uniform analysis in each granule sounds good on the glossy brochure but the seedling doesn't really care and you're paying dearly for that feature.

Comment

Josh Linville
                          @JLinvilleFert
                          ·
                          3h
                          September U.S. #fertilizer trade flow fun fact:

For the 5th month in a row, the U.S. exported more #UAN than it imported, creating a net negative trade balance for the product.

If you wonder why your supplier/retailer doesn't have a price...

We get to pay whatever price it takes to keep that product at home instead of being exported. Same thing that's happening with diesel fuel right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            All the expert articles seem to say broadcasting in the late fall means it just ends up in the atmosphere.

Going to test that one myself this yr.
                            I dont broadcast myself we put everything on with sideband at seeding. However if your broadcasting in the fall ,Never spread on top of Snow that is a BIG mistake. studies out of Montana U show that 30% or more can be lost to atmospere

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
                              I dont broadcast myself we put everything on with sideband at seeding. However if your broadcasting in the fall ,Never spread on top of Snow that is a BIG mistake. studies out of Montana U show that 30% or more can be lost to atmospere
                              I broadcast on snow once, one of my best crops.

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
                                what kinda opener ?, single side band or paired row ? whats the most product you have put ?
                                we use SSB atom jet and i get scared after 300 lbs product although have never had a problem

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...