• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizer question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizer question

Finally got around to getting some fertilizer prices. Looks like Urea will be around $1150, 11-52 just under $1300, sulphur $670 and what really made me shake my head was potash around $1050. At over $1000 a tonne it seems to me I will be cutting back on potash. I haven’t soil tested yet this year, usually have good potassium levels, is potash just to expensive?

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
    Finally got around to getting some fertilizer prices. Looks like Urea will be around $1150, 11-52 just under $1300, sulphur $670 and what really made me shake my head was potash around $1050. At over $1000 a tonne it seems to me I will be cutting back on potash. I haven’t soil tested yet this year, usually have good potassium levels, is potash just to expensive?
    I shake my head at all those prices before the potash price. Have only used potash once, and next yr won’t be the second time. WOW!!

WTF are we suppose to do? Boycott and not buy, rent land out, sell and go to Hawaii, or go organic … well that’s not happening. Maybe it’s time to let someone else have the headache. There are guys with money burning in their pockets.

Comment

We took half the potash out of our blend for next year, if it’s over $1000 next fall there won’t be any potash in my blends.

Comment

I soil test every year.
        I believe you don't go broke buying fertilizer. It's your fixed costs.
        $20/ac more or less if you're jeopardizing 10-20% yield.
        But I realize we occupy a very diverse region. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          I soil test every year.
          I believe you don't go broke buying fertilizer. It's your fixed costs.
          $20/ac more or less if you're jeopardizing 10-20% yield.
          But I realize we occupy a very diverse region. To each his own.
          Amen to that.

This spring I upgraded to a variable rate air cart specifically to save fertilizer. I know where I have applied massive manure, where the old farm yards and feedyards are, former treelines and patches of bush with a century of manure accumulated etc. The areas where crop goes down without fertilizer on a normal year.

So I adjusted rates accordingly.

Worst investment ever. Instead of being the best parts of the fields, many (but not all) of them ended up being the worst. Likely due to lots of straw from last year, with lots of rain, tying up the nutrients breaking that straw down.

Best investment of the year was a small load of the most expensive urea known to man, in early July no less. Canola along a ridge with was depressingly pale and spindly and bolting prematurely compared to the rest. Sandyish compared to our typical clay, must have been the excess rain leached the nutrients down faster than the roots could grow,Applied 100 lbs of 46-0-0 just before the daily thunderstorm, and harvested an amazing yield off that ridge.

Just incredible how fertilizer helps overcome stress either too wet or too dry.

I won't be cutting any corners next year. Regardless of price.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            Amen to that.

This spring I upgraded to a variable rate air cart specifically to save fertilizer. I know where I have applied massive manure, where the old farm yards and feedyards are, former treelines and patches of bush with a century of manure accumulated etc. The areas where crop goes down without fertilizer on a normal year.

So I adjusted rates accordingly.

Worst investment ever. Instead of being the best parts of the fields, many (but not all) of them ended up being the worst. Likely due to lots of straw from last year, with lots of rain, tying up the nutrients breaking that straw down.

Best investment of the year was a small load of the most expensive urea known to man, in early July no less. Canola along a ridge with was depressingly pale and spindly and bolting prematurely compared to the rest. Sandyish compared to our typical clay, must have been the excess rain leached the nutrients down faster than the roots could grow,Applied 100 lbs of 46-0-0 just before the daily thunderstorm, and harvested an amazing yield off that ridge.

Just incredible how fertilizer helps overcome stress either too wet or too dry.

We learnt that little secret about 35 years ago and barring a couple droughts , have never looked back
            It helps the crops overcome so many hurdles

Comment

Gave up on soil testing, it always needs the full suite of fertility anyway.

First time I have ever bought fertilizer in the fall. Going to try broadcasting 2 quarters using a nitrogen stabilizer when temps get down. Rest is going into storage in older fertilizer bins. Epoxy isnt great in there but it should be ok for a season.

Hope I am not jackhammering it out in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Gave up on soil testing, it always needs the full suite of fertility anyway.

First time I have ever bought fertilizer in the fall. Going to try broadcasting 2 quarters using a nitrogen stabilizer when temps get down. Rest is going into storage in older fertilizer bins. Epoxy isnt great in there but it should be ok for a season.

Hope I am not jackhammering it out in the spring.
                Have broadcasted straight fertilizer in the fall for years when temps cooled down with great success. No coating required.

For winter storage pour a bag kitty litter in the bottom and a bag on top after bin is full. Then seal the top of the bin with a big garbage bag and duct tape.

Never a problem in the spring.

Comment

Yes I was always told nitrogen stabilizer is a waste of time in the fall ?
                  Interesting observation , we have 2 vent hoses from the cooler on juice kit pretty much goes on top of ground , you can always see those “gas” trails in crop heavier
                  Why isn’t it lost ??
                  Last year when shit was hitting the fan with N prices , a bunch of people here got floaters to blow $600
                  46-0-0-0 right on top of ground ,no tillage, no agrotain or anything
                  Their crops were as good as anyone’s??

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                    Have broadcasted straight fertilizer in the fall for years when temps cooled down with great success. No coating required.

For winter storage pour a bag kitty litter in the bottom and a bag on top after bin is full. Then seal the top of the bin with a big garbage bag and duct tape.

Never a problem in the spring.
                    I did that for long term storage of alfalfa seed when price was dismal , came out same as it went in

Comment

All the expert articles seem to say broadcasting in the late fall means it just ends up in the atmosphere.

Going to test that one myself this yr.

Comment

That’s what I thought until seeing opposite last year
                        And 7’ of snow on top of it ?
                        Thought it would all end up in the cricks

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          All the expert articles seem to say broadcasting in the late fall means it just ends up in the atmosphere.

Going to test that one myself this yr.
                          Best friend of mine worked for Koch for years, who along with my fertilizer dealer told me fall application is safe.

So all these years you listened to those experts Jazz? Hmmmmm that's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            That’s what I thought until seeing opposite last year
                            And 7’ of snow on top of it ?
                            Thought it would all end up in the cricks
                            If ground is dry, I think the moisture soaks into the ground and takes the fertilizer with it. You float fertilizer on wet soil and then get a big winter snowpack.. I think you would see the grass taller/greener in the ditch where the water comes out of your field.

Every year is a little different it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

Same.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...