• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use boug 2 inch spoons and the drill has rounded steel packers 3.5 inch.
    I might be the last guy using spoons but I like them. Lift the dirt rather than push.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
      You know your wife is into farming when she doesn't mind getting dirty.lol..
      Nice unit , lovely partner 👍
      What size tank and booms ? Looks similar to the FAST PT we have

Comment

1 st canola to flower in area , just south of Cochin
        Looks very good

Comment

1350 Cnd gal.100 ft booms.
          Thanks..me and my (partner) have more FUN farming that anyone else on this site..Guaranteed..lol...
          Last edited by Partners; Jun 25, 2022, 16:28.

Comment

Did some second pass on canola today. Lookin pretty good. Cereals doing amazing in this weather.

Comment

Having taken a couple of crop tours in the central AB area, I can conclude that rain definitely is not making grain anymore.

There is standing water and yellow crops in many places.

The cereals that aren't drowning do look very good.

For every canola crop that looks exceptional there were at least 2 that have large areas of patchy/thin/bald. Not certain what the causes are. Crusting from excess rain? Washout from rain? Flea beetles? Depth?

Early seeded looks best. But I can't believe how many late crops there are, mine included. It has been so cold and wet, everything is way behind, especially compared to last year.

All of my cereals look pale or yellow, no matter how high and well drained.

My canola was seeded later than I'd like, but into excellent conditions and out of the ground in record time, then just sat there in the cold and wet. Flea beetles are having a hay day. Slugs wiped out a few acres. Going to need record heat, or an extremely long fall. Sprayed flea beetles yesterday on crop that has been seeded over a month, as it was going backwards visibly. Thought that risk was past by this stage.

One other observation. With the record high input prices, and so much riding on this crop, I don't think I've ever seen so many air seeder oops all over. Strips and stripes with no or very little seed or fertilizer. Murphy's law on full display for the world to see.

Not a disaster yet( in most areas). Some areas that seeded early and have good drainage are excellent. But overall disappointing considering the great start we had.
              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 26, 2022, 07:53.

Comment

Well as farms in our area get close to the foot mark for moisture in some places you can see water runs dead and yellow spots in fields.

We all have been here before in the east it's just part of June and rains. Next week looked good on Friday to spray the last of the canola and enjoy a break now it looks like rain three of the 7 days.

We need heat and lots of it. Lots of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Gezus, I hope no traders are lurking on this site.
                  Did 2 hrs road trip last Monday. #6 hyway south to Melfort to Tisdale #35 north to Nipawin.
                  Best Canola I saw was across the road from Bunge.

Comment

Will be spraying herbicide in that whole area for another week to ten days. S/B done by now.

Airplanes are normally getting going here by next weekend. Their season might stretch out some.

Lots of crop here hasn't covered the ground yet.
                    Like Furrow describes. Some good,some poor,lots late.

Below normal Temps when we need some heat to push to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                      1350 Cnd gal.100 ft booms.
                      Thanks..me and my (partner) have more FUN farming that anyone else on this site..Guaranteed..lol...
                      One other thing guaranteed is that you and your partner are genuine farmers , and dam good ones at that . Thanks for sharing pictures and real life farming activities. It is much appreciated by most on Agriville
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 26, 2022, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                        Decimated my canola pretty good, will take some time to recover. We'll see what the adjuster have to say in the near future.
                        That’s tough to see
                        Are you going to try any recovery products or just let er try to recover on its own .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          But I can't believe how many late crops there are, mine included. It has been so cold and wet, everything is way behind, especially compared to last year.
                          I've been watching guys on here, and on twitter spraying crops that look even and lush for the past couple weeks. I've just barely started cereals as it's an absolute dogs breakfast out there. About 25% of my cereal acres came up reasonably even and seemed to dig in, the remaining 75% has up to 3 different stages of growth. The worst has about 15% in the shot blade (where it should be), another 75% at about 3 leaf, and still another 10% literally just breaking the surface. Honestly hope that last 10% gets choked out, but man, durum at 3 leaf stage the end of June is going to make for one horrendously late maturity date!

Peas should start flowering soon. They, are at least even.

Oilseeds here are much like the durum... All over the map for growth staging. Some stuff well into cabbage, but significant chunks of fields are cotyledon, or first true leaf, or god forbid, there is some still just breaking the surface as well.

Straight cutting canola is going to be damned challenging here this year! My mustard I'll probably just leave it till last, or if mother nature does decide to stay wettish through July I guess It'll be fall frost territory.

Constantly trying to make the best of a shit start to the season here. Just "Livin' The Dream!™️"
                          Last edited by helmsdale; Jun 26, 2022, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            That’s tough to see
                            Are you going to try any recovery products or just let er try to recover on its own .
                            Haven’t thought much about a recovery product, still need to 1st pass on Liberty yet. Field still too wet for spraying, might give it some thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                              Did you get your Spra Coupe running? Did it rain up your way yesterday? We had 1.7 inches in the rain gauge this morning.
                              Got 3/4 inch the other day and we’re at 3.5 inches for June. It’s the wettest it’s been in over two years. Out checking cows is actually enjoyable without trying to figure out where they’re going since the grass is gone like last year.

The Spra Coupe is running again. One timing gear got lost by Agco and never showed up so we put the old one in since it was the nicest looking of the old ones. Looking for a red or green replacement for it since we’re leery of the next issue that will make us pull our hair out. Really like the machine though which makes it frustrating.
                              The canola is doing great although late and multiple stages could make it a fun fall.

Picked up a bunch of pizza, pop, and beer yesterday and went to a playground at a local hall. Invited a bunch of cousins and friends so the kids could all play while we visited. Started it last year and had a smaller crowd due to Garth Brooks being in town but fun was had and the weather was amazing.

Life is great🍀

Comment

You definitely understand what’s important in life 👍

Kids grow up fast , good on your outlook on general.
                                My youngest one Graduating from grade 12 already and my oldest from UofS already but going back for a law degree
                                Time flies , enjoy it while you can

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...