• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaderstad

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at a 2021 Vaderstad but it has paired row which I am not familiar with, how do they stand up in rocky conditions?

Comment

Is the paired row a must on 12" space? Just bought a seedhawk for next year and it has the factory 1/2" sideband opener. Thinking of getting the Dutch inline sideband for canola, as well as the inline paired row for cereals because they can be changed back and forth with a roll pin. Just wondering if this is necessary, or if the factory sideband is perfectly fine. A little scared there won't be enough seedbed utilisation for cereals with the 1/2" sideband. Did talk to one local guy and he said that he runs the factory sideband and seeds cereals and sees no yield difference to his flexicoil 5000 style drill with spread boots.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
        Is the paired row a must on 12" space? Just bought a seedhawk for next year and it has the factory 1/2" sideband opener. Thinking of getting the Dutch inline sideband for canola, as well as the inline paired row for cereals because they can be changed back and forth with a roll pin. Just wondering if this is necessary, or if the factory sideband is perfectly fine. A little scared there won't be enough seedbed utilisation for cereals with the 1/2" sideband. Did talk to one local guy and he said that he runs the factory sideband and seeds cereals and sees no yield difference to his flexicoil 5000 style drill with spread boots.
        On a dry year the [1870CP] single [1' spread] is better than the paired row on cereals... the seed bed is more fractured after the paired row... both work the vast majority of the time with no significant difference. On peas I use both the openers so same effect as paired row... little difference in emergence time [fr seeds] from 'deep band' [3/4' deeper] opener in almost all conditions. Our NH precision is running the Dutch 1" on 12" spacing... very nice emergence in all conditions all crops. On canola frost tolerance is better with 1" than paired row, more protection from ground heat.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
          I think it depends on your soil type on lighter ground that flows well I think you wou would be significantly better off with the SBU of a paired row opener especially on 12". Its two 5/16's bolts to change from the inline to paired row dutch boot. 2 guys can change a drill over in an hour or two.

Comment

After doing some thinking, I think it might be worth the swearing and what not to change to the paired row for cereals, and the side band for canola. On my farm, if I gain 3 bushels/acre on cereals by switching, that equates to over $75000. Pretty good paycheque for a few hours work.

How hard is it to change from the seedhawk sideband, to the twinband? Or do I have to go the dutch route to make it easy?

Comment

We went the Dutch route, 3 people 1 hour to change to single, 1.5 hours to switch to paired. Biggest difference you have to deal with with the air hoses with the Vaderstad openers. We changed twice this year, a bit of grumbling but looking at a 2 bushel increase for the last 600 acres is still a $10,000 payback. With the Milwaukee’s it goes pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                Paired row sucks stick with the sideband for best results !
                Are you in a dry area wiseguy? We typically are dry through seeding, and then the water tap turns on in june, and then july and august are on the dry side again with some thunderstorms rolling through here and there.

Sometimes the rains come, sometimes there is a fair while between rains.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...