• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New crop oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makar View Post
    That crop was cut with a tr95 20 foot header as slow as you could in 2nd. 1.5 mph.
    Did that crop all stand up? No lodging?
    What kind of N rate?
    Crop rotation?

Reason I ask is I think maybe fertility has to be Goldilocks for heavy oats. More isn't better?
    Rotaion that provides season long N release like hay ground or legumes?

Anybody use slow release N?

Comment

Good questions. I've been warned about too much N regardless of other ratios.
      We'll be learning. As I have no oat history, my AFSC coverage at $360/ ac.
      Base bu at 66 and price at 6.70 x 80%.

Comment

What was recommended west of Manitoba was to cap available N at 100#. Any more and quality would decline. That said, between in crop fungicide, higher seeding rates, and better varieties, N rates are pushed with success. We’ve grown enough oats but generally they were for feeding calves. Selling into milling markets was more hassle as we’re 3 hours from any mill. Elevators finally buying them which is good as opposed to dealing with brokers. So our agronomy has been basic at best but I have been following what my neighbor does and it is amazing what little things you can do which increase yields and quality.

Comment

Some guys east of here seed at 4-5 bus / ac with high fertility to really push yields .
          Works ok if you get moisture. In dry years that may be detrimental.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
            Did that crop all stand up? No lodging?
            What kind of N rate?
            Crop rotation?

Reason I ask is I think maybe fertility has to be Goldilocks for heavy oats. More isn't better?
            Rotaion that provides season long N release like hay ground or legumes?

Anybody use slow release N?
            Was a fluke of a crop, only 35 acres on a cool damp but not wet year, not one straw lodged. N maybe 50-60 lbs. Wheat canola rotation. Kind of a once in a lifetime crop you would bankrupt yourself trying to repeat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...