• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New crop oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only ones you sell are the ones in the bin.

Swathing can result in some large losses too.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
      The only ones you sell are the ones in the bin.

Swathing can result in some large losses too.
      Growing swathes suck too. BTDT

Comment

I have straight cut oats for years and years, and have never sprayed them with glyph. And have had no losses that I know of. Different everywhere I guess. I am also a small enough farm that I can be patient and hurry up and wait.

Comment

Last year my oats would not cure standing. They were the first planted. Ended up baling and feeding right away cause I was “done” harvest. Think if I was patient and maybe swathed them they would have dried down.

I like Camden because of standability but they’re comparable if not a bit inferior to Morgan in terms of yield and early maturity. With these millers seeming to be becoming fussier than maltsters about varieties and quality; what types are most of you guys using?

Comment

Sticking with Morgan’s for a long time yet, haven’t had any issues getting rid of them. Made 49lbs/bu last year but of course hardly any yield.
            I have done well with heavy Mustang sold as pony oat grade.
            I think our weights are likely heavier up north?

Comment

The irony. The best oat yield and quality I ever had was with good old derby’s. First few years I grew oats in the mid nineties.

I also remember getting 1.35 a bushel that first year.

Comment

Interesting oats are a part of you cash cropping over there.

Here most grow some for hay and grain to replenish feed stocks for sheep.

Myself out of 7600 acres of wheat barley rye lupins canola beans and oats. Oats makes up 185 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
                  Interesting oats are a part of you cash cropping over there.

Here most grow some for hay and grain to replenish feed stocks for sheep.

Myself out of 7600 acres of wheat barley rye lupins canola beans and oats. Oats makes up 185 acres.
                  Do you harvest enough for seed?

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                    Sticking with Morgan’s for a long time yet, haven’t had any issues getting rid of them. Made 49lbs/bu last year but of course hardly any yield.
                    I have done well with heavy Mustang sold as pony oat grade.
                    I think our weights are likely heavier up north?
                    I’d think further north in the parkland areas bushel weights are heavy as a rule. I don’t know but I have no trouble hitting at least 40#. Think mine range from 43 to 48 Avery.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      I’d think further north in the parkland areas bushel weights are heavy as a rule. I don’t know but I have no trouble hitting at least 40#. Think mine range from 43 to 48 Avery.
                      52 bushel weight is my record, 212 measured afsc bu per acre of straight cut Morgan is another, it was in a pile and they were shy Year later got 1.50.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                        52 bushel weight is my record, 212 measured afsc bu per acre of straight cut Morgan is another, it was in a pile and they were shy Year later got 1.50.
                        That crop was cut with a tr95 20 foot header as slow as you could in 2nd. 1.5 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          43 lb oats is garbage here.

Comment

That’s pretty darn good.

Comment

So whats your recipe for success, I seem to always e stuck at 140-150, except last year which was 80.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                                Do you harvest enough for seed?
                                Typho 285 acres this year.

Usually 130 tonne for sheep feed

Seed and cut anywere from 300 to 600 round bales of hay.

Plus when years permit get big square baler in to bale up barley straw behind combine.

Plus we keep lupins for sheep feed as well

Edit if oats are poor we keep barley for sheep feed

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...