• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola seed size for planting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola seed size for planting?

Does everyone want a 50lb bag? or do some prefer smaller or larger seed?

As a DeKalb grower, first year I'll have to deal with this issue,,, seed size choice(maybe no choice, take what's given)

On the home stretch of farming, not interested in seeds per foot.

Is there really that large of difference in seed sizes, the way it's bagged by seed size now?

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

As a DeKalb grower, first year I'll have to deal with this issue,,, seed size choice(maybe no choice, take what's given)

Is there really that large of difference in seed sizes, the way it's bagged by seed size now?
    Can be big difference. Have seeded from 3 to 7 Gms/1000 seed weight. I dislike small seed because it tends to jam my seed meter roller

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post

Difference between seed graded at 1.8 mm and 2 mm is approx 37% more volume in the larger seed, that's very significant. That gives the seed more vigour, energy reserves to compete with insects, weeds. Less seeds per kilo though, wise to increase seeding rate.

Comment

It was all bullshit really nothing but weaselly seed companies pissy about guys able to sow 3lbs instead of 5 lbs and still grow a good canola crop. Seed placement into firm seedbed not pop . Gotta pay for those shiny trucks somehow and glossy mags.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
          It was all bullshit really nothing but weaselly seed companies pissy about guys able to sow 3lbs instead of 5 lbs and still grow a good canola crop. Seed placement into firm seedbed not pop . Gotta pay for those shiny trucks somehow and glossy mags.
          I totally agree. I've always chosen the smallest seed in the chem shed and sowed it light with my Seedmaster. Those little guys grow just as well as the blueberries. This seed size bullsh1t is just the seed companies wising up to that and wanting more money. When they were the only company doing it I boycotted BASF seed and grew anything other. Now it seems everyone is doing it. You guys with planters seeding 1 lb/ac are going to ruin everything for me. Ha. They are going to find a way to get their $60+/ac for seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
            Guys planted 2# with press drills and had good stands back in the 70’s. Guys flew it on with airplanes and harrowed it in and it grew. Those were op varieties with not near the vigour and yield potential of todays hybrids. I have a setting number scrawled on the side of my jd air cart. Some years a 50# bag will do 12 acres and others it will do 10. I’ve had good emergence with stealth paired rows. Looking at where cereals have been going I probably will be lengthening out my rotation with more than a 50/50 cereal canola deal. I like canola and have been pushing it hard but think yields aren’t what they should be because a guy is pushing it.

Comment

Our job is establishment of correct densities. Do whatever you need to do to fulfill that.

Comment

Use a 2" paired row, and with the heavy trashy cereal stubble(no shortage of rain the last 10 years in SE Sask), we always feel we need 5lbs as there always seems to be seed that can't make it through. Maybe a few fall deeper or there might be a heavy wad that ends up on the seed, too thick to grow through. Buying canola by the seed, doesn't fit our operation so well.

Comment

I still buy nearly 5lbs as well.
                  Mortality rate is high without precision planting. Our goal is 9 plants on canola.
                  Aren't the bags all 10 acre bags now regardless of weight in them?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    I still buy nearly 5lbs as well.
                    Mortality rate is high without precision planting. Our goal is 9 plants on canola.
                    Aren't the bags all 10 acre bags now regardless of weight in them?
                    Good question. I know all corn is sold guaranteed 80,000 seeds /bag and the bags will weigh anywhere from 35 to 65 lbs.

Comment

Soy sold 50 thousand a unit.

Comment

Has anyone else had a look at the 21 Bourgault trials? Higher seed rates in dry conditions actually reduced yields. I would say the trend is leaning to dry conditions for 22 here so this is something to keep in mind.

The 20 crop year trials actually reinforced the fact that high seed rates do not boost yield. The higher seeding rates had a slight advantage on days to maturity with no yield advantage.( this was a near optimal moisture conditions with very high fertility )

These hybrids pack an enormous yield potential. The real limiting factors are likely fertility and moisture and chemical residues.

Comment

Plots on right seeded at 5.5 lbs , below 15 bus / ac

Field seeded with planter at 2.2 lbs , 26 bus ac

They target 10/12 plants
                          We target 5-6
                          We ended up with 4 after spring frosts

Had near zero regrowth where planter was used , planter canola simply never burnt out as quick .

Plots looked significantly better by June 20th
                          But by July 15th they were toast .
                          On an average year there is very little difference.
                          Last edited by furrowtickler; Mar 27, 2022, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                            Difference between seed graded at 1.8 mm and 2 mm is approx 37% more volume in the larger seed, that's very significant. That gives the seed more vigour, energy reserves to compete with insects, weeds. Less seeds per kilo though, wise to increase seeding rate.
                            Will agree with your assessment on seed size and vigour , also better tolerance to light frosts . Have seen 4 TKW seed nearly wiped out and 6 TKW only loose 10-20% .
                            We will get 20-22 ac per bag on seed size 5 tkw or less , but with planter accuracy drops the smaller the seed size . Best seems to be 5.5 to 6.5 , above that accuracy stays the same .
                            Try to target 190,000 in good conditions , up to 220,000 seeds /ac if dry or a bit early .
                            Range 25 - 15 ac / 25 kg bag depending on seed size and environmental conditions.
                            Will adjust rates even with bags sold by seed size depending on conditions and / or timing of seeding . Always a bit heavier if before the 15Th of May .
                            Beetles generally not an issue unless frost has damaged seedlings . But again if using larger seed , flea damage is significantly less due to vigour .
                            It’s quite a balancing act between seed timing , soil moisture , soil temperature and seed size along with growing conditions the first two weeks after emergence

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Plots on right seeded at 5.5 lbs , below 15 bus / ac

Field seeded with planter at 2.2 lbs , 26 bus ac

They target 10/12 plants
                              We target 5-6
                              We ended up with 4 after spring frosts

Had near zero regrowth where planter was used , planter canola simply never burnt out as quick .

Plots looked significantly better by June 20th
                              But by July 15th they were toast .
                              On an average year there is very little difference.
                              Spring frosts of -6c or more can thin stand quickly. Disc seeders are most susceptible to frost damage, plants are not in trench like 'hoe' planters... why we gave up on disc seeders... mortality was twice as much in zero till.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...