• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 830 Deere was pretty fuel efficient because of flywheel momentum, you don't see that technology anymore, which I'm sure Shell and Exxon applauded.
    Last edited by rumrocks; Oct 29, 2021, 10:23.

Comment

Did a 60, 620, 730, 820, 830 from 1956 to 1970. Yes hearing was compromised. Only 820 had a cab...no AC, actually made tractor LOUDER. And in summer was a "portable HELL" Ran on 1-2 gal/hr. 60 acres worked was a good day....the engine ran all night in our brain.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
        Did a 60, 620, 730, 820, 830 from 1956 to 1970. Yes hearing was compromised. Only 820 had a cab...no AC, actually made tractor LOUDER. And in summer was a "portable HELL" Ran on 1-2 gal/hr. 60 acres worked was a good day....the engine ran all night in our brain.
        Priceless, how often did you change oil in that brain engine.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
          Nothing has changed for deere. Ride in their 4045 sprayers. I laughed at the naybor wearing his earmuffs in his 1970’s tractor. Then I owned a 4045 and had to buy a set….

Comment

I was looking at my dads 60 in the shop last night thinking how long a day it must have been in 1960. How big a cultivator would it pull? I imagine the 830 would be good for 16 feet of spikes into stubble or 24 of sweeps into worked ground?

Comment

Here we pulled a 13.5 ft deep till. All we had. Handle more but I suspect slippage would've been high at times. Rock solid singles lol.
              A 20' vibrashank. 50' diamond harrows. Pulled 28' of hoe drills (without the water pump belt) once but the rows in the tractor tracks were darn slow coming up from the slippage.
              Not sure of gals/ac. From memory a 35 gal tank would go all day. I can remember doing 100 acs one day with the Graeme Holme but I started in the dark. Fuel filters could rot in housing and she'd still run.
              Lugging in the dark would have orange a foot and a half above muffler, right about eye level.
              Overtightened clutch and you couldn't release when warm. Leave it in gear clutch out she could start to creep eventually. Try yanking that handle when she's power hopping.
              Chung chung chung chung.....
              Last edited by blackpowder; Oct 29, 2021, 11:53.

Comment

When i first started farming in the Early 80's my neighbour long gone now had an 830 he bought new in late 50's. He used it until he retired in the early 90's. He was always proud that he farmed a square section of land on 500 gallons of fuel in a year.
                Just a few years before his health forced him to retire i saw the 830 going to town on the dealers semi. i asked him did he trade on a new one and he said oh nooo they had a super good deal on a complete overhaul so he took them up on it. The tractor still sits in the bush on their old yard. That and the same JD 55 combine he farmed with all his life raised a family educated them all and made him enough money to be reasonably wealthy.
                I remember when i started farming i bought some seed wheat from him and after seeding stopped in to pay him. As i start writing the check he said please could i date the check for Jan 2nd of the next year. No sense sharing it with the taxman and as he said he knew i wasn't going anywhere and he didn't need the money right now.

Sometimes in the spring at sunrise i can swear i can hear that 830 in the distance.

Comment

820 was weighted plus cab so pulled better. 830 would spin. 12' DT with twisted spikes...6" deep, 3rd gear was all it had.
                  16' JD 6" spaced cult with diamond harrows, 4th gear, 5.5 mph wow! Rolled coal up hills. All day on 3/4 tank...2 1/2 days per 1/4 section. Oh and a 14' KBA JD disk harrow, no wheeled transport. Later 18' disker.
                  Last edited by fjlip; Oct 29, 2021, 13:54.

Comment

It's funny how you guys refer to this old deafeningly loud equipment in the past tense as if it is ancient history.
                    As I type this, I can hear my neighbor a half mile away disking with his 95 Massey with the rattle trap cab. he grew up running one in Saskatchewan so recently got his very own. And has the hearing aids to prove it.
                    I was running my d8k this morning, hearing protection is not optional, neither is a snow suit.
                    I have another neighbor who has a fleet of 830s, 820, 80 and R John Deeres, which he does most tillage work with.
                    Our 1600 cockshutt with a straight pipe still gets used whenever I can find a purpose for it. And that's not even the oldest tractor in the fleet.
                    Lots of other examples around here, where old tractors and combines go to die.

Black powder talking about power hop and unable to reach the clutch reminds me of a story of my dad told.
                    The neighbor was moving a garage up a steep gravel driveway with steel wheels and a hand clutch. Spun out and the steel wheels started jumping and hopping as they dug and the operator couldn't even reach the clutch it was throwing him around so badly. I don't remember what the outcome was.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 29, 2021, 19:05.

Comment

Those old combines are worth a lot just for the steel. It surprises me how many just phone the junk guy to come and take the old equipment away for nothing.

Comment

The painted manufacturers emblems cut out and framed worth more than the whole thing for scrap.

Earmuffs, dust masks and mechanix gloves weren't thought of then.
                        The gloves I still cant wear today as none fit.

Comment

Putting the pumpkin crop to use tonight.😎

Had a slight intermission after the neighbours called saying a calf was coming home from the field we just moved a bunch to today. Hopefully he finds his mom and stays put for the night. There’s a few other pumpkins leftover and hopefully they become pie with some fresh whipped cream on top………… Yum!🍀

Comment

Those are the best of times woodland

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Those are the best of times woodland
                              So true, I got more excited than the kids when it came to trick and treating.

I remember when I was trick or treating through town with my pillow case and the plastic mask on, all the locals would try to get you to talk, so they could figure out who you were.

Just simple fun, on worries of candy or all the apples we got laced with any kind of B.S. added to them.

Comment

When i was young i heard of many legendary pranks done in small towns. Basically every thing in town that could be moved was moved onto main street by the kids. Next morning depending on age and if it was a weekend all kids and parents moved things back, outhouses, grain augers, etc

The best i heard kids 15 years older at the time, disassembled a wagon from outside the museum and then re-assembled it on top of the elevator annex in town ( they knew how to disassemble it and put it back as well) .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...