• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post harvest spraying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post harvest spraying

Seems this question comes up every year.Last year we had a killing frost with powder dry soil.Weeds showed zero green.did some spraying then quit.What I sprayed was the cleanest field yet they say you need some green to kill a plant.This year no frost in sight plants growing and some just popping through the ground now Ideally it would be nice to get a frost then spray after a few days of warmer weather .If a person wants to throw in some cancel at half rate will that effect what can be grown next year? What does people use when following year may be canola or a pulse?

Wow an ag topic!!

What do guys do for horsetail? Not sure what
    The official name for it is or if that it but
    What a terrible weed to get rid of. Mcpa
    Browns it off in crop but comes back anything
    Actually kill it in the fall?

Comment

5L Roundup per acre. Think NOTHING, it's a prehistoric fossil, not even a real plant. Prestige in wheat, zero sign in stubble now, but always comes back.

Comment

Thought horsetail only showed in wet yrs?
        Zero out there when spraying now..

Comment

I meant to type banvel not cancel.spell check I guess does not have that word .or dicamba .

Comment

Trying heavy rate 24d biggest problem on our farm dam koctia! Hopefully does something

Comment

Way Too early yet
              Works way better after a couple light frosts when the plants switch from “grow” to “store”
              We spray late always , way better kill
              Only had one year on one field that it didn’t work and that was after a weeks of -10-13
              Had a tankfull in shop so I emptied it
              One field worked really good one never

Comment

With our dry summer and 4” of rain in the last 2 weeks it has revived our swathed canola, plants are just starting to bud and some starting to flower. I don’t think there is enough time to produce a 2nd crop so need a prescription to remedy the problem before it sucks whatever fertilizer is still in the ground. What do you all think I need to use to kill this aggressive growing 2nd crop canola?

Click image for larger version

Name:	910A7E80-6BB0-4C9D-900A-B08B93E3219C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	771538
                Click image for larger version

Name:	0F86B0A8-0271-4AFF-AE9B-724EE2094835.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	771539
                Sorry about the backwards pics but not sure how to rotate.
                Last edited by Sodbuster; Sep 12, 2021, 09:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                  With our dry summer and 4” of rain in the last 2 weeks it has revived our swathed canola, plants are just starting to bud and some starting to flower. I don’t think there is enough time to produce a 2nd crop so need a prescription to remedy the problem before it sucks whatever fertilizer is still in the ground. What do you all think I need to use to kill this aggressive growing 2nd crop canola?
                  Put the streamer nozzles in and create rows next year? I hate wheat on wheat or canola on canola. But fighting volunteers can be expensive.
                  Last edited by bucket; Sep 12, 2021, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Way Too early yet
                    Works way better after a couple light frosts when the plants switch from “grow” to “store”
                    We spray late always , way better kill
                    Only had one year on one field that it didn’t work and that was after a weeks of -10-13
                    Had a tankfull in shop so I emptied it
                    One field worked really good one never
                    What about thistle control? I have a lot of juicy looking thistles in rosettes coming along with the second canola crop. I want to spray them before that heavy frost which could come any time now.
                    Other years that frost can really brown them off and then you’re supposed to wait for regrowth before spraying. That regrowth never seems to happen much and they are never leafy again.

So I’m thinking of hitting them with a litre an acre as soon as the swaths are gone. I virtually never see that good of a rosette while it’s still early. And that second growth canola has to be sucking ALOT of nutrients and should be stopped as soon as possible

Comment

It’s Liberty link volunteers so they would be smoked

Comment

With increased cost of roundup would be nice to go a liter and half rate dicamba early .Should have no carry over but hate to take too much of a chance and hurt next years crop.Distinct is a real good product to boost early fall control.

Comment

Anyone had any bad experience with ExpressSG in the fall prior to Canola next spring?
                          The only tribenuron registered.

Comment

Express yes, if canola or lentils next year go at 1/2 rate to reduce carryover risk.

Kotia is best killed with banvel or dicamba mixed with roundup or other chemical (ie express or 24d)

Gets the big and small canola, kotia, other thistles etc

Comment

24d mixed with glyphosate messes up the the action of glyphosate on grassy weeds? I have some hailed canola which I finished harvesting, and the stuff is regrowing from the stubble itself. I have never seen anything like it before. I am not concerned as the frost and winter will put it to bed. In fact I hope it will act as a snow trap. I’m more worried of winter annuals and possible grasses like that awful wild brome. That said, this canola stubble, which is going into barley next year, if it’s mostly broadleaf weeds present do I go in with 6oz of ester 700 and 1l of glyphosate? I want the 24d residual for next spring cause I can see canola volunteers being a real problem. My cereal stubble is messy with thistle as I didn’t do a preharvest application. Was thinking of a litre of glyphosate on it as most likely it’ll go into canola. Foxtail is a real problem and we cut around the patches at harvest so hopefully the spray gets into it better. Last year we had those spots in canola fields so they didn’t have preharvest. They were worked after harvest and I figure that was a waste as it made the problem worse.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...