• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$20 Canola is too Cheap

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwab
    How will this affect storage?
    Exposed oil , even low amounts , will heat very quickly even if dry and or not on air

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Exposed oil , even low amounts , will heat very quickly even if dry and or not on air
      If shes 20 bucks, then I think thats enough premium to let it be someone elses problem.

Last thing this year needs is a bunch of storage and heating troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        If shes 20 bucks, then I think thats enough premium to let it be someone elses problem.

Last thing this year needs is a bunch of storage and heating troubles.
        Unfortunately that is reality.
        At today prices if one has canola contract or not , and you see much for sprouting , agree let the elevators deal with it unless you have extra aeration and time to babysit canola on farm storage

I have heard of bins crusting and starting to heat within 24 hrs
        Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 5, 2021, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Unfortunately that is reality.
          At today prices if one has canola contract or not , and you see much for sprouting , agree let the elevators deal with it unless you have extra aeration and time to babysit canola on farm storage

I have heard of bins crusting and starting to heat within 24 hrs

Never been a better year to get the tops off the bins

Comment

furrow I am seeing a tiny fraction of this sprouting in the canola. Maybe under 0.5%. Testing dry 6-8% moisture. Blowing it down before going into storage. This going to be a problem? What's safe threshold for sprouting? This is all new to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cnlo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	771458
            Last edited by jazz; Sep 5, 2021, 20:46.

Comment

I would think your fine , should have no issues with that at all , unless you get pockets of sprouts from bigger areas in fields
              No one knows the threshold as of yet that I know .
              Some of the pictures I sent were quite severe.
              Most of ours not too bad so far but we are hauling in anyway for now to fill contracts with the worst we have .

Some of the heating issues are above 10% sprouts from what I heard .
              Not much canola in bin storage yet here . Most going straight in . But most canola just starting to come off . If a good weather week a lot will be coming off .
              Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 5, 2021, 22:10.

Comment

No sprouting here? Had couple inches on swaths. Maybe cool enough since.

Comment

Getting back to the price of canola. Currently, the printed crush margin is negative. That s based on the current price of soyoil and soymeal. Which doesn't bode well for canola prices going up.
                  Technically, both soyoil and palm oil don't seem to be able to break above their previous highs.

Does anyone have industry connections who might be able to answer this question:

Does the price of canola oil necessarily follow soyoil, especially right now with a deficit of canola oil, and the end uses of canola oil being much more skewed to human consumption vs animal or industrial?

Is there more to the crush margin story, or is the party over unless soyoil reverses course?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Getting back to the price of canola. Currently, the printed crush margin is negative. That s based on the current price of soyoil and soymeal. Which doesn't bode well for canola prices going up.
                    Technically, both soyoil and palm oil don't seem to be able to break above their previous highs.

Does anyone have industry connections who might be able to answer this question:

Does the price of canola oil necessarily follow soyoil, especially right now with a deficit of canola oil, and the end uses of canola oil being much more skewed to human consumption vs animal or industrial?

Is there more to the crush margin story, or is the party over unless soyoil reverses course?
                    Unfortunately for the secondary manufacturers it's not so easy to flip flop their ingredients. Formulation, nutrient information, tooling and labeling all takes time and $ to switch over. Sometimes they switch over just in time to want to switch back.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                      Unfortunately for the secondary manufacturers it's not so easy to flip flop their ingredients. Formulation, nutrient information, tooling and labeling all takes time and $ to switch over. Sometimes they switch over just in time to want to switch back.
                      Thank you, and that is what I have been saying all along. Brands didn't spend years and fortunes marketing a product only to flip flop the first time prices go up.
                      So I assume canola oil must be commanding a significant premium to soy oil at this point?
                      And therefore, the posted crush margins based on soy oil are likely irrelevant.
                      But I don't know anyone within the industry who would have that information.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...