• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$20 Canola is too Cheap

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$20 Canola is too Cheap

Yield reports of some of the nicer canola in the province coming in and it ain't good news. What many of us thought might go 40 is coming in starting with a 2_. Even low 2's, lock the bins. The heat blast in July took alot of yield.
    Last edited by biglentil; Sep 4, 2021, 11:30.

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
    Yield reports of some of the nicer canola in the province coming in and it ain't good news. What many of us thought might go 40 is coming in starting with a 2_. Even low 2's, lock the bins. The heat blast in July took alot of yield.
    Already locked, full of 2020 canola crop, some 2019 crop. Although I must admit markets are testing my resolve lately. Old crop wheat all gone as of yesterday, still trickling out the old crop barley.

Comment

Regardless of Canola $20+ next year I have a feeling there will be alot fewer canola acres on the gumbo next year. Unless there is a meaningful recharge of the subsoil moisture I know there will be fewer on this farm if any at all and I know I'm not alone.
      Last edited by biglentil; Sep 4, 2021, 11:50.

Comment

I was combining canola yesterday. Took 2 hours to fill the combine hopper. Grain cart parked in the yard, no need to pay a guy to take 2 hr naps.

Comment

Heads up on canola in very droughted areas
          If lots of sprouts from heat stress bin heating is happening very quickly .

Comment

Seeds are sprouting in the pod?
            Weaker crops are also getting a double crop of canola this year.

Comment

This problem started back in mid July

From very stressed areas , the worst I have seen yet
              Not a sprouting issue from last 10 days rains ...

Comment

We noticed dry burnt out areas by far worst
                Low areas with better yields there is very little , most varieties the same in this area

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Low areas with better yields there is very little , most varieties the same in this area
                  Jeez, that’s brutal!

Comment

Our flax stubble grew poor Canola, never looked good, even with rain.

Comment

My Canola has started to flower again. Maybe this second crop will out yield the first

Comment

Have some flowering too, hope to get it picked up soon and then spray before it becomes a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                          Regardless of Canola $20+ next year I have a feeling there will be alot fewer canola acres on the gumbo next year. Unless there is a meaningful recharge of the subsoil moisture I know there will be fewer on this farm if any at all and I know I'm not alone.
                          The thing is planting canola won’t cost that much more than planting durum at $22 per bushel or 60cent lentils.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                            The thing is planting canola won’t cost that much more than planting durum at $22 per bushel or 60cent lentils.
                            Not dealing with establishment issues and not supporting the biotech giants ....priceless. Would not surprise me if we see another big jump in canola seed price for 22.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Ran out a sample in 2 fields a few days ago, thought we were cracking the canola. On closer inspection it was indeed sprouted canola. Looking earlier in the year I had observed sprouted canola in the pods.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...