• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
    You know there are so much red tape in getting back your checkoff you would think it was their money. On one you have to answer a survey before it will let you access the forms. You are not allowed to vote even though you don’t always get all your money back. If one part of your name or address does not match the elevator receipt your shit out of luck. If they don’t receive your rebate form or it magically gets lost it’s your tough luck. They all have different rules and dates when the checkoff rebate form is due. If you have to call them they are extremely rude it’s like your stealing from them. I jumped through all the hoops and hope to get over $10,000 back this year.
    Poor pea producers get it in the rear and don’t even get a thanks. Maybe they will find a new market for your 5bus/ac crop.
    Here in AB, fairly easy, no questions asked. But takes months. Keep it up boys.

Comment

Neighbor stopped in this morn and said he did the math. Enough feed till Jan 1 and he's not buying any so cows are leaving and hay equipment is for sale. Not Good . Will cut the last of my greenfeed tomorrow. Nobody seems to be using their discbines these days just 25 or 30 foot swathers !

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        If you drew a line between Caroline and Rocky, our farm would be about 4 miles East of that, and closer to Caroline than Rocky. Very little crop farming west of here. If you took 22, on the west side of the Clearwater river
        , That is much different soil, topography and even climate.
        I've been back and forth to Olds this summer and thought things looked good to the north and west. Then I detoured south, and east. The difference was stark. Brown pasture,brown hayfields, sparse grey canola except in the bottoms. And that is just within a few miles.
        You definitely weren't exaggerating. Worse to be that Close to the good crops. My sympathies to you folks
        Ya Olds and NW actually looks pretty good. It's not all bad, wife made pickles today, usually don't get cucumbers till September during harvest. Also got a couple watermelons that are already as big as any weve had before and likely still got a month plus of growing yet.

Maybe next year I should grow wall to wall melons and cukes!
        Last edited by GDR; Aug 12, 2021, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
          Neighbor stopped in this morn and said he did the math. Enough feed till Jan 1 and he's not buying any so cows are leaving and hay equipment is for sale. Not Good . Will cut the last of my greenfeed tomorrow. Nobody seems to be using their discbines these days just 25 or 30 foot swathers !
          I think buddy would be better off to sell cows and hay now if that's the plan. Cows are down maybe 20 cents here since early summer but think there is more downside and will take till next summer to come back up I bet, and that feed is worth more than terds.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
            The old duplex 50s are getting resurrected around here. Makes a nice pile.

Comment

Another hot dry week here.
              The floating pumps are no longer floating in the middle of some dugouts. Never seen them this low before. Should be ok to finish off this year but next year isn’t looking good.

It seems all I do is deal with water or the lack thereof these days. Managed to scrounge up a few more quarters of grass that needs 1.5 miles of fence ASAP to move the hungry cows into. I now know what I’m doing next week.

The corn is now tasseling and putting on cobs at 4-7 feet tall. Very impressed with how it’s handling these conditions. AF5 mentioned the water efficiency of it and that’s definitely true. Compared to barley we planted the same day in the same field conditions it’s got at least three times the tonnage. It will definitely help keep the Moo Cows happy this winter.

The equipment always picks a good spot/time to die. Like on the road just before dark. Had to drag it home when the engine died for no reason or else the thieves would pick it clean like coyotes by morning. Seems to be a bad year for breakdowns here considering there hasn’t been much crop to deal with.

Hopefully we can get the rest of yearling steers brought home out of the bush to get wheels under them shortly. They missed this weeks sale after winning the game of hide and go seek in the muskeg. Too bad inflation only hit the inputs for cattle and not the price of them. Maybe next year ……………

Finally started delivering some bales and the phone keeps ringing with folks looking for more. Might end up selling every hay bale (even the ugly ones) on the place at these prices.

Be careful everyone as the muskegs west of us flared up again and it’s definitely a concern for us out here. 🍀

P.S. SF that is a nice swath of barley👍

Comment

What do you mean by 'the muskegs flared up again'?
                Originally posted by woodland View Post
                Another hot dry week here.
                The floating pumps are no longer floating in the middle of some dugouts. Never seen them this low before. Should be ok to finish off this year but next year isn’t looking good.

It seems all I do is deal with water or the lack thereof these days. Managed to scrounge up a few more quarters of grass that needs 1.5 miles of fence ASAP to move the hungry cows into. I now know what I’m doing next week.

The corn is now tasseling and putting on cobs at 4-7 feet tall. Very impressed with how it’s handling these conditions. AF5 mentioned the water efficiency of it and that’s definitely true. Compared to barley we planted the same day in the same field conditions it’s got at least three times the tonnage. It will definitely help keep the Moo Cows happy this winter.

The equipment always picks a good spot/time to die. Like on the road just before dark. Had to drag it home when the engine died for no reason or else the thieves would pick it clean like coyotes by morning. Seems to be a bad year for breakdowns here considering there hasn’t been much crop to deal with.

Hopefully we can get the rest of yearling steers brought home out of the bush to get wheels under them shortly. They missed this weeks sale after winning the game of hide and go seek in the muskeg. Too bad inflation only hit the inputs for cattle and not the price of them. Maybe next year ……………

Finally started delivering some bales and the phone keeps ringing with folks looking for more. Might end up selling every hay bale (even the ugly ones) on the place at these prices.

Be careful everyone as the muskegs west of us flared up again and it’s definitely a concern for us out here. 🍀

P.S. SF that is a nice swath of barley👍

Comment

It's the year of the cucumber and water melon. our garden is stupid. Also yellow and green beans. Peas were ****ed but have also good beets and carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                    I think buddy would be better off to sell cows and hay now if that's the plan. Cows are down maybe 20 cents here since early summer but think there is more downside and will take till next summer to come back up I bet, and that feed is worth more than terds.
                    He pasture calfs so they are not very big yet but ya selling that hay now would be a better option. Calving in that snow before spring would have maybe paided off this year. Herd today my amish neighbors are getting medium squares brought back from their Ontario cousins in returning cattle pots they are worried that they only have 1/2 a corn crop.

Comment

My Girl Crew...
                      Makes farming Super Fun..

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKY View Post
                        What do you mean by 'the muskegs flared up again'?

This was today from a friends yard.

Back in May we had a fairly large fire that burned a couple thousand acres with lots of muskeg in it just west of us. It seems every couple weeks when the wind and heat picks up the ground fires start burning again. The water bombers were dropping on the hot spots again today.

Comment

Hopefully your ok , we are on edge here
                          Usually fires 🔥 here north , south and east of us when conditions are terrible.
                          Praying 🙏 the domestic terrorists don’t start er up here

Comment

Sorry , west of us .. dam phone 📱

Comment

F.I.L. is beside himself today... Did a full round on a half section field of durum with a 36ft header and figures he might possibly have 20bu in the tank! That could be generous... It looks like there's a poor crop of durum there, but not that level of poor. He figures he'll cut only some of the low spots and thats it. Yikes.

Comment

Two things.

1) It's rather retarded that a guy has to scroll through the garbage on this site to find marketing threads.

2) it's raining here. In one sense its nice to know it still can. In the other it provides moisture for all the weeds that are greening up fields at the moment. Theres potentially 1.5 months of "weed growing season" remaining, and it's entirely unappetizing to think about having to blow reglone on cereal crops that are sub 10bu/ac to be able to push them through a combine. Worst case scenario if it stays wet and cool for a few weeks well have to decide on whether to try and chew green kochia or dessicate , but a post-harvest herbicide application is going to become more and more necessary. Who's gonna pay for this shit? I'm tapped out!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...