• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Contract squeeze worries farmers " is the WP headline

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Over the past several years contracted grain has paid well for movement before December

Unfortunately this year the 20% of average yield contracts are now 50-100% of production. Has not happened in 20 years unless hail wiped one out

And again over the past 10 years , especially the past few , the only grain accepted at most elevators was contracted grain
    Even if you have enough bin space it is a good practice to at least move out some from each bin , or roll it if you have that luxury, before December.
    Not picking on you Furrow, but I'll use your numbers as an example.

Has not happened in 20 years, and has paid well for the past several years.
    I assume paid well indicates that you received better than posted prices for that time slot. Plus the savings in interest by paying bills with the money, needing to buy less storage etc.

Lets assume you averaged 50 cents over the market for the 20 years since the last disaster, And this year, you are $10 underwater on the same number of bushels. That would be a wash. Then add in the time value of that money, and all the other savings I mentioned above, and being on the wrong side occasionally really isn't so terrible. I know, easy for me to say when I'm not in that situation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...