• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
    Really not sure where Chuck found weed infested fields because I sure didn’t see any 🤷
    My guess Manitoba if he seen soybeans

Corn in cowboy county is severely stressed on Hwy 41 and west on 599
    Very very dry through here

Crops east of Hwy 36 very poor
    Much like east of the Battlefords

Still very poor west of 36 through the windmills
    poor crops all the way to Stettler then too dark to Red Deer .
    Now it’s off time , onto Banff for a few days of sightseeing 👍
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 25, 2021, 07:53.

Comment

We got 3/4 inch in the past week and it has helped immensely. Got some pea sized hail with it but the damage is less than the moisture gain so I’ll call it a win. Had a neighbour call up and offer a field of hay the to us so we said yes even though all the equipment was cleaned up.

It did 1,600 lbs/ac so about average for this year but more like a third of normal. At least the quality is more like second cut.

The yearlings are enjoying the field we originally intended on haying.

This yearling steer is doing good especially considering he’s got a cleft palate. His tongue is in his right nostril and I admire his determination. By this time next year he’ll be satisfying someone’s tastebuds after chowing down on some grossly overpriced barley over winter.

Continued……

Comment

We have been super impressed with how the corn is doing. I think it’s the rockstar of the year here.

This is from the other day with some poor stuff in the front and super nice stuff in the back.

This is the same boy only exactly a year earlier. Totally opposite conditions with too wet, cold, and drowned out instead of dried out spots.

Taking guesses as to whether this will make it or not and what it may amount to……….

This taken a week ago and I won’t be back to look at it for probably six weeks since it’s just going to bother me. Almost as depressing as watching the pastures not regrow after moving the cows off them.

We decided since we’re saving all kinds of money on net wrap, silage plastic, fungicide, fuel, and beer since there hasn’t been many beer clouds that we should add a line item in the budget called “stress relief”.

Bought it off my cousin and I’m sure the kids will enjoy it. Gotta build another mile of fence shortly but will definitely take advantage of the heat to test it out. I guess I better deliver some hay pronto to pay for it too.

I hope everyone’s sanity is hanging in there since it’s quite the ride we’re on. Even Sheepwheat is dry so that’s saying something 😉

Good luck y’all 🍀

Comment

Glad you got some rain Woodland, seen a few showers on the radar your way and wondered about you since you've been a bit quiet on agriville. Things going downhill here, still under 2 inches since June 1st. Boat looks like it might be more fun than more farm equipment!

Comment

Nice to see the green pastures and I would trade you corn fields. And you know what they say about boats, buy lots of gas cus there a lot of fun

Comment

Well boys I got to Winnipeg and in all my years I never seen it so dry nice you hit Manitoba. But the canola from portage to Winnipeg is like ours this year except they have a couple feet of black dirt and usually get more rain than us. Soy needs a rain so bad but they have some wheat to harvest and it’s turning/burning. Corn doesn’t look like irrigated corn without irrigation. Up and down all over the fields.

Yea the only sweet spot from Gull lake to Winnipeg is Indian head they have the loaf of bread fields just south of town. Sad I can see the elevator in Indian head from the roof of my bins. The last rain event got within 5 miles of our place so you could smell it in the dust. Congratulations boys you win hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Well boys I got to Winnipeg and in all my years I never seen it so dry nice you hit Manitoba. But the canola from portage to Winnipeg is like ours this year except they have a couple feet of black dirt and usually get more rain than us. Soy needs a rain so bad but they have some wheat to harvest and it’s turning/burning. Corn doesn’t look like irrigated corn without irrigation. Up and down all over the fields.

Yea the only sweet spot from Gull lake to Winnipeg is Indian head they have the loaf of bread fields just south of town. Sad I can see the elevator in Indian head from the roof of my bins. The last rain event got within 5 miles of our place so you could smell it in the dust. Congratulations boys you win hands down.
                So area wise, how much bigger is this than 2002 was? We made a cross prairie trip in summer 02, and things improved drastically just west of the Manitoba border, and looked vrey good in the parts of Manitoba we saw. And Southern Alberta enjoyed a very good year with lots of rain. Lots of feed and straw was trucked north that year.

Comment

It occurred to me that the best word to describe my crops this year is consistent.
                  I am used to huge variability, as the low areas, higher areas with high water table, or gumbo suffer excess moisture, while the really rich ground does tremendous and topography dictates the rest.

This year, especially on the wheat, I see no drastic difference from the best to worst soils, high to low, richest former farmyards to barren hills. Everything got off to the same start with the adequate but never excess moisture. Then everything quit tillering at the same time due to heat.

Late seeded barley that waited till after the heat to really tiller is more variable. Canola is starting to show soil differences as water becomes limiting lately.

Comment

I have never seen canola this sick looking in the portage Winnipeg area. I’ll be in swan River Manitoba in the next week to see some plots and kamsack I’m checking out. But Saskatoon area has nothing they weren’t that bad in 2002.

I would look at yields from 2002 for what will be the results of 2021.

Only thing that’s different in 2002 it froze in less than a week in our area that looked like Indian head this year. It was -5 for 8 hours we had nothing on some fields but a 60 bus straw crop and a quiet combine.

So if it doesn’t freeze look for higher wheat than 2002 and lentils.

Soy has a chance if doesn’t freeze and a big rain comes

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                      I have never seen canola this sick looking in the portage Winnipeg area. I’ll be in swan River Manitoba in the next week to see some plots and kamsack I’m checking out. But Saskatoon area has nothing they weren’t that bad in 2002.

I would look at yields from 2002 for what will be the results of 2021.

Only thing that’s different in 2002 it froze in less than a week in our area that looked like Indian head this year. It was -5 for 8 hours we had nothing on some fields but a 60 bus straw crop and a quiet combine.

So if it doesn’t freeze look for higher wheat than 2002 and lentils.

Soy has a chance if doesn’t freeze and a big rain comes
                      Good reporting!

I took a trip on Hwy56 from Forestburg to Bashaw, then to Edberg, New Norway, Camrose- so CAMROSE Country and South Flagstaff.

Wetaskawin, Camrose, NewNorway have decent crops, from Bashaw up to 8 miles south of CAMROSE on Hwy21 the earlier crops are starting to lodge in the lower areas that were not drowned out this spring, in general good average crops that even barley looks good…

A couple of average fields from Edberg:

Later planted barley, in places on West side of Camrose County water in puddles and a few low spots:

The east side of Camrose Country west Flagstaff perhaps 80% of normal, south east of Flagstaff perhaps 50%

Talking to a friend east of Vermilion in the Lloydminster country, said the barley really went backwards in the past week, will most likely be rolled up as bushel weight looks too low now, was hoping for 40-50… but now less than half that so better to be rolled up as feed.

Very mixed crops in Alberta! From above average to 1’ high at 10-15bu/ac soon to be harvested in first two weeks of August.

Cheers
                      Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jul 25, 2021, 10:38.

Comment

Lotsa peas sprayed here

Comment

Here is north and west of Winnipeg

Peas ready to harvest Monday.

Oats has green patches and turning

Comment

Wheat is a go real soon

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                              Really not sure where Chuck found weed infested fields because I sure didn’t see any 🤷
                              He must’ve taken a similar route to what we’ve done this weekend because there’s been some real gnarly ones go by. Kochia especially.

Some fields all they seem to be able to grow much of is kochia, the actual crop is piddly.

Leader to Swift Current especially. Become a bit more sporadic the rest of the trip.

Do lentils have less spray options? They’re the ones that seem particularly bad.
                              Last edited by Blaithin; Jul 25, 2021, 16:07.

Comment

I like an early harvest but July is a little to early and we all know that the results won’t be good!
                                Well most of us will know except maybe Ag Canada, Neil and Chuck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...