• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

media and the BTOs and a rant

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
    Alberta getting help, supposedly, no details.
    I don’t know how to hot link.
    Wow, I guess Trudeau cares after all.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
      Haha, I needed a double take on that one as well. 😆
      I wonder what we will have to do in return for those funds. climate change re-education camp perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        I wonder what we will have to do in return for those funds. climate change re-education camp perhaps?
        There will be environmental strings attached for sure
        More like chains

Comment

I agree a Crop Insurance top up the way to go. I don’t care in Monette gets 100 million, but I think it should be measured as if you are already insured from 80%. So regardless of your actual coverage or if you use Gars or Just Solutions the government should assume you have the income from an 80% coverage claim. If you make the management decision to insure at a lower rate, or just use Just Solutions, or no insurance at all that is fine and maybe a good decision for your farm and risk profile but you can’t say “80% coverage is too high I’m going to insure at 60” and then ask for a bailout because you didn’t buy enough insurance. The government should do an individual average payout to say 90-100% of your yield, but with the assumption that everyone is insured to 80%. So you have regular crop insurance that you purchased at say 60% and 100% of your canola is 40 BPA. And let’s say you grow exactly a 24 bushel crop so you collect nothing from Crop Insurance. The government adds an extreme drought rider that assumes you purchased 80% coverage and covers you from 32 to 40 bpa. So you would receive 8bpa payment at whatever their number is.

Comment

This should be the easiest way to proceed I agree grahamp

Then look after the livestock producers with a feed assistance program. Have that include grain screenings and chaff pallets.
            Producers on both side could benefit somewhat at least then

Comment

The sad part of this whole thread is that if Rittz and Harper has not gutted agrastability we would not even be having this conversation now. Crop insurance does cover us for yield protection but does not cover us for revenue protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                A top up in crop insurance would be the reasonable way to go, the first thing they should do is top up the crop prices they low balled us on some of the crop prices this year knowing that fall prices were much higher than theirs.
                Might be different in other provinces but in AB that's a good thing as long as their fall price is accurate. That way you pay on the spring price for coverage but in a claim position they top it up to fall price.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
                  I agree a Crop Insurance top up the way to go. I don’t care in Monette gets 100 million, but I think it should be measured as if you are already insured from 80%. So regardless of your actual coverage or if you use Gars or Just Solutions the government should assume you have the income from an 80% coverage claim. If you make the management decision to insure at a lower rate, or just use Just Solutions, or no insurance at all that is fine and maybe a good decision for your farm and risk profile but you can’t say “80% coverage is too high I’m going to insure at 60” and then ask for a bailout because you didn’t buy enough insurance. The government should do an individual average payout to say 90-100% of your yield, but with the assumption that everyone is insured to 80%. So you have regular crop insurance that you purchased at say 60% and 100% of your canola is 40 BPA. And let’s say you grow exactly a 24 bushel crop so you collect nothing from Crop Insurance. The government adds an extreme drought rider that assumes you purchased 80% coverage and covers you from 32 to 40 bpa. So you would receive 8bpa payment at whatever their number is.
                  I would like to see crops get wrote off now even if they might still yield say 25% or so to make feed. If they wait another month there wont be much feed value left.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                    I would like to see crops get wrote off now even if they might still yield say 25% or so to make feed. If they wait another month there wont be much feed value left.
                    That would be ok if the majority of farms did not have to fill grain contracts this fall . Every acre will have to be harvested to try to fill contracts that no one can get out of now

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      The most difficult part on livestock is that we are not talking about a single year crop failure, we are talking about years of genetic selection. Not sure how you replace that. The issue is timing and how it is possible to get feed to the producers fast enough to prevent liquidation. Governments moved quickly for Covid not sure they will to help livestock producers. Baling or silaging drought ravaged crops is necessary but must work for everyone.
                      I am starting to feed about half my cows now, other half will be fine for a while yet. We will get through and keep our herd so we dont have to start over. Shortage of feed and extra expenses and loss of crop suck but I think for me the biggest stressor of it all is having to actually do the feeding and babysitting of cows that want to go find grass. Now tied down to the farm again till after spraying and haying 2022.

Comment

you guys make it easy for governments to do jack shit ...Talking about stress tests for a payment ....who deserves it or not....what's next ...if you drive a duramax you qualify but a F350 you are out ...

Get pphucking real here...this is a disaster...I don't want to lose any neighbours whether I like them or not....

And this idea that the city people don't like us....maybe they should just have a good look in the mirror for the half trillion they received.

Because I am pretty sure the city folk won't be paying that debt back with their taxes...since the liberals were already running deficits with full employment.

It makes me sick that the government expects farmers to help other farmers out but when city folk or eastern companies need money, the government just starts writing cheques .

Honestly what the phuck is wrong with farm groups?

Grant Devine would be ashamed that he taught you guys nothing.
                        Last edited by bucket; Jul 18, 2021, 15:04.

Comment

It’s what makes us better than the useless tits out east.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
                            It’s what makes us better than the useless tits out east.
                            No it doesn't...it makes us stupid and poor. ...and paying for them.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              That would be ok if the majority of farms did not have to fill grain contracts this fall . Every acre will have to be harvested to try to fill contracts that no one can get out of now
                              The majority of farmers forward contracted? How do we know that? Because if thats true this industry is in for a world of hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                                The most difficult part on livestock is that we are not talking about a single year crop failure, we are talking about years of genetic selection. Not sure how you replace that. The issue is timing and how it is possible to get feed to the producers fast enough to prevent liquidation. Governments moved quickly for Covid not sure they will to help livestock producers. Baling or silaging drought ravaged crops is necessary but must work for everyone.
                                There will be some prized herds go to the slaughterhouse. Its really sad. My MP was contacted by email on June 1st....the email got lost ...imagine that....I described the situation exactly how it unfolded to him in that email...

He did nothing.....SFA.

Hello

As attached is a June 1 2021 email to your office.

It seems it was ignored and your silence on the current drought is disappointing to say the least.

Are the majority of your constituents not farmers?

How do you let them down with your silence?

Yours in disappointment

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:37:24 -0400,

Good afternoon

As you are aware I mentioned a heads up back in February about COOL in the cattle industry...It is currently getting some media attention.

Just to lend some credibility to my following comments.

As you are aware the winter of 2021 was very lacking any substantial snow. Prior to that the growing season of 2020 had limited rainfall.

This leads to a spring with very little early rainfall and we are looking at a drought situation in western Canada.

Current conditions put the growing season in the top 5 of driest on record int he last 105 years. Probably drier than in 1988 and 2002.

This is becoming a bit of a concern for farmers . And since the federal government was more than happy to help out an airline industry with passenger drought due to no fault of their own , it is reasonable to expect that government is developing programs / payments for farmers in the event this drought takes hold.

Of more concern is what to cow calf guys do if there is limited feed for their herds as the rainfall to date has not had the ability to replenishing moisture reserves and the frosts have hit the hay hard.

I look forward to your insight on this pending disaster.

Regards

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...