• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ad hoc payment question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ad hoc payment question

The current drought will need an ad hoc payment ...I think it should be 100 bucks an acre.

Why....well irrigation farmer on 100000 acres are receiving 40 bucks an acre every year for 5 years and even thought they are growing dryland crops under pivots on 75 percent of the acres they are getting 200 dollars over 5 years.

The 500000 acres of irrigation even if it was all canola would not fulfill the requirement for the domestic crush that has been announced so the dryland canola farmers will have to infill that need.

Why should irrigation farmers be subsidized to grow dryland crops?

So the ask for this ad hoc should be 100 bucks an acre ...in the grand scheme of things of what Trudeau has wasted for friends and family of the Liberal party ...its really peanuts.

Don't like my logic....engage in the discussion..

Maybe some 4th or 5th generation farmers can explain what previous generations received and correlate to today's dollars.

one billion in 1988 would be close to 2 billion minimum right now to keep farmers on the land.

I don't care how wealthy a farmer is ...this is going to hurt ...and for those that maybe don't need it ....those payments make the industry healthier overall ..they might use the money to replace machinery ...I don't care...someone has to buy new to have used equipment...

My guess is they won't look at an adhoc...they will all say the current programs will be adequate ...they won't be..

And much like the university professor said...look to your left and right ...one of you won't be here...

Your neighbours will be leaving...believe it or not.

AND ...its not an opportunity ...its an unhealthy industry if that happens.

The farms are consolidated enough.

Yes I agree with $ 100 buck an acre. It would be a real shot in the arm for my operation. It is high time that we have some programs in place ( acreage payments , or ?) that are there to help a farmer or rancher when we have drought conditions , or excess moisture also. We have a bunch of programs that always seem to be half assed implemented, or planned , and they are always late to the ball game when people really need them. Crop insurance should be 100 % coverage, not 80% . It is time for an overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
      Always by the acre !

But the liberal profs and chuckholes that have only 80 acres don't like that !

**** agstab !
      I think agristabilty will not help and the private insurers even if they are re-insured are going to be on their knees to government..

My guess is the re-insurers are in talks already..

At the end of the day the government always has to take the hit...

Comment

So I guess we aren't all 10ft high and bullet proof after all?

If you didn't sign up for Crop Insurance and/or Agristability, what was your plan for when a bad year hit?

This drought was not a surprise event. It started last year in many areas.

If farmers are not taking advantage of the existing safety nets it gets harder to make a case for ad hoc payments.

Most farm organizations were asking the three prairie provinces to accept all the proposed federal improvements to Agristability.

Where was the support from our Provincial governments for improved safety nets? More bad planning on their part.

Comment

This drought is past localized problems and shit programs...

There is only one solution because of how poorly the programs were developed...and that is an ad-hoc payment.

I received SFA for leaving a 2019 crop out...agristability now sees my 2020 income as higher and it will get thrown out in the average ...

2019 was lower but no payment...

Gerry Ritz and his apprentices phucked farmers....and they put him in the hall of fame....JFC.

Comment

As much as the drought sucks and I wouldn't mind getting some help, I'll be a contrarian and say NO. Does Monette need a $10+ million cheque?

Thus is going to bring some painful but needed correction in land and rent prices. Paying $125-150/ac rent in SW Sask is crazy IMO. Basically needing a 40 bus durum crop at $8.50-9/bus to break even.

Drought has happened, is happening and will happen again. Even with tech and better farming practices, it still has to rain and not be 40C. We need to be prepared for it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              So I guess we aren't all 10ft high and bullet proof after all?

If you didn't sign up for Crop Insurance and/or Agristability, what was your plan for when a bad year hit?

This drought was not a surprise event. It started last year in many areas.

If farmers are not taking advantage of the existing safety nets it gets harder to make a case for ad hoc payments.

Most farm organizations were asking the three prairie provinces to accept all the proposed federal improvements to Agristability.

Where was the support from our Provincial governments for improved safety nets? More bad planning on their part.
              they didn't bother because it is a complete waste of time
              it is simply a make work project for the east
              Last edited by Guest; Jul 15, 2021, 08:14.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                As much as the drought sucks and I wouldn't mind getting some help, I'll be a contrarian and say NO. Does Monette need a $10+ million cheque?

Thus is going to bring some painful but needed correction in land and rent prices. Paying $125-150/ac rent in SW Sask is crazy IMO. Basically needing a 40 bus durum crop at $8.50-9/bus to break even.

Drought has happened, is happening and will happen again. Even with tech and better farming practices, it still has to rain and not be 40C. We need to be prepared for it.
                Size isn't the concern at this point ...its about salvaging the industry as a whole...

If there isn't an adhoc...young guys are done...if they get a job they will realize a walmart greeter makes a better living just for showing up...

And in reality no adhoc allows more Monette types to show up...

No adhocs is how we got here in the first place. people left and didn't or couldn't return.

Very narrow view to worry about the big guys...in reality by arguing against an adhoc ...indirectly you are promoting bigger farms..

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Size isn't the concern at this point ...its about salvaging the industry as a whole...

If there isn't an adhoc...young guys are done...if they get a job they will realize a walmart greeter makes a better living just for showing up...

No adhocs is how we got here in the first place. people left and didn't or couldn't return.

Very narrow view to worry about the big guys...in reality by arguing against an adhoc ...indirectly you are promoting bigger farms..
                  Has there ever been a program that didn't have that effect?

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                    Has there ever been a program that didn't have that effect?
                    Doing nothing accelerates the issue...eventually every farm will need a bailout ...large or small..

The larger the farms get.... the larger the bailouts will be...

You don't think the investor groups are not talking to the politicians behind the scenes already????

Comment

Consolidation is going to happen whether you like it or not. Maybe an adhoc payment should go to older landlords with the stipulation they give a young guy a deal on rent or purchase.

Comment

If there isn't an adhoc...young guys are done....
                        bucket, just curous our young uns cant handle a single bad yr? I know the ag more than ever crowd is aggressive and all, but a single yr wont break these guys will it?

We have had weather disasters before and seem to recover. But then I wasnt making forward contracts back then and paying $100 ac rents.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          bucket, just curous our young uns cant handle a single bad yr? I know the ag more than ever crowd is aggressive and all, but a single yr wont break these guys will it?

We have had weather disasters before and seem to recover. But then I wasnt making forward contracts back then and paying $100 ac rents.
                          What is the point of setting guys back a few years just because...

I could ask the same questions as to why the general population couldn't handle the pandemic on their own???

Not being argumentative just throwing some wide angle perspective to it.

Bail out the general population and air lines etc....this government should be able to bail out agriculture..

Every generation has had it....if you look back. Thats why there are 4th and 5th generation farmers.

Comment

There will be no ad hoc payment whether there should be or not. If there were to be anything it would be done through Agstab, they have stated that other times. ( I'm not in either)

Regardless a per acre payment doesn't work because the production and expenses per acre are drastically different from one area to the next, reality is that any funding needs to be tied to production or income as they have tried to do with safety net programs.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                              There will be no ad hoc payment whether there should be or not. If there were to be anything it would be done through Agstab, they have stated that other times. ( I'm not in either)

Regardless a per acre payment doesn't work because the production and expenses per acre are drastically different from one area to the next, reality is that any funding needs to be tied to production or income as they have tried to do with safety net programs.
                              Probably no adhoc payment but you are competing against very large adhoc payments in the states.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...