• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, the 2021 crop tour by vehicle and actually get out and look at crops check pods and count spikelets and rows. is going to take place the next week.

Yesterday I did drive down to what should be some of the best crops in Saskatchewan at Indian head. 6 inches of rain and some of the best dirt in Saskatchewan. I was shocked they have a good crop but nothing outstanding. The heat has hurt even crops on good dirt. More to come after the provincial tour.

The area I will cover Regina to Canora Kamsack, Over to Wadena down to Fort area over to Southey and north to Tisdale, Nipiwan, over to Pa and down to Sask Then Up to Battleford Kindersley and down on a zig-zag to swift over to Assiniboia on the redcoat and back to Regina then down to Weyburn Estevan and up to Moosimin. This isn't an office tour like the big dogs hahaha.

Oh before I start today I have one comment has anyone seen or heard from our Federal Ag minister or any Federal minister about the drought that is like 1961 in Western Canada. Anyone, Anyone. Farmers who think we're so good we can do things on our own. Yesterday skippy gave 20 million to help repaint patios in the city of Toronto. **** me wake up.

Ok, here we go.

This week all things looked good for a rain event the event was a total bust for some and others got up to two inches in the East side of Sask. We ended up with 1/10 same as always. Hell, yesterday a cloud showed up and gave us a 1/2 a tenth. Big rains are spotty and really aren't saving the day. The heat is back in the next 10 days and guys are buying out contracts in some areas already. Crop insurance is writing off fields in some areas. Good land can get you through lots but guess what if it doesn't rain in June and July even good land cant make a thing.

HRS is moving along way too fast the great early seeded crops in our area have hit the wall and are prematurely ripening. Later are starting to drop tillers and push forward. With the heat that's coming, we will start to see rows abandoned and the plant will work to make seeds that it can. Big yields are gone. 80 plus wheat will now be lucky to get to 30 to 40 I fear after the next 10 days. Like my dad said in 1961 we harvested only the low areas the rest died. Later wheat is looking good but needed a big rain to make it big time. It didn't get it so will have similar results like the early.

Barley oh barley is taking this heat not well. Trying to push the head out and fill it is tough to watch. It looked so good a few weeks ago and you can see each day it going backward.

Flax is thin and trying to flower in the wetter areas it's thicker but short also and flowering.

Lentils in our area so far are loving the heat and trying to flower and make seeds.

Peas are short and flowering was ended for most of the last heatwave this next one will just have the plant aborting seeds from 6 to maybe two to 4 and ripen way too fast. No tall peas here and even where it rained shorter than last year for sure.

Oats don't like the heat and it sure is showing up. We had oats once that turned white real fast from a heatwave that could be interesting next week.

Canola is having a hard year and the rain events did nothing more than end the flowering process and the plant is in the fight for survival making seed mode. This notion that it will start flowering after a rain I say ha ah ah. It will make and fill what it can and call it a year. The latter has a chance with rain and will flower but plus 35 days every one it will abort flowers. So later or early don't matter this year. Haven't seen a 10/10 canola crop yet this year on my travels.

Partures are going downhill faster than the fastest skier in the Olympics. Hay again good new fields did very well poor fields are struggling and hay will be short if guys have to start feeding soon. Culls will be hard and fast this fall.

Any rain now is a builder for 2022 and a filler for 2021 what you have the big yields are gone. Funny a 40 bus wheat and 30 canola could be huge yields this year.

So, in a nutshell, take a ****ing knee we need rain to build up the soil for 2022 this year the fat lady has hit the stage and cleared her throat, and opened her mouth.

Go to the lake enjoy the heat and talk to your friends and neighbors we are all in this together. Radar is a sickness I follow it's time to turn the phone off before I need the Weyburn nut house to reopen.

Keep safe.

Oh just for shits and giggles the Ontario teachers pension fund has left our town and went back home. They sold in our RM 26 quarters to one man and he paid $586,000.00 per quarter. Garry sold it to the Teachers for 300. Not a bad profit I would say. We hit the big times. HAHAHAH now we just need rain in the Garden of Eden.

Comment

Sask crop insurance always wins. We’ll still have to harvest 10 bushel canola spend a fortune and if we don’t they just deduct that from your total amount and pay on that.

Barley taken at same spot every week. Colour change and still not full head pushed out jot a good sign.

Canola same spot every week. Pods aborted and filling bottom few still trying to pod did catch a slight shower yesterday. Poor spots in field also.

Peas same pot every week. Short trying to fill pods and odd flower left.

Comment

Shit canola all around

Sand ridge is done foe 2021

Water makes grain 3000 gal a week on garden.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
          Neighbor lady had scic out to write off some canola fields

Don't be too thankful for scic

They haven't paid yous yet !
          Called crop insurance yesterday too come look at some barley. About 8 out of 10 heads have no seeds in them. All he kept asking me on the phone was what I was going too do with it? I said maybe cut for green feed depending on what they come up with as a yield assessment. He said go ahead and do it just leave lots of check strips and they will come look in a week or two. Dip**** couldn’t understand that I want too make my decision based off there yield estimate. He said he’s told 15 other farmers the same thing. Sure glad I’m not a cattle guy looking for feed if this is how sask crop insurance is operating all over the province

Comment

That is the worst they cant give you an answer. The frost year we were told could be 5 or two bushels out in the field only way to know is if you harvest so three machines did 640 acre spots and one semi. Funtimes. but got it done. Then had shit to sell. Cleaned up and used as seed for two years grew like a bugger.

We need a plan and better get some ideas fast. Cattle guys will liquidate and take it on the chin. Best is to silage and feed later. No loss falling to the ground.

Come on Sask party get your shit together on this and where is Boboo our federal Ag minister. Decorating her office or talking to kids in Quebec about chickens.

Comment

Cattle guys getting deferred tax relief isn't the answer....some of the herds are priceless...they need feed.

I feel for the cow calf guy..its going to decimate the industry...good thing the morons Stewart and Marit think irrigation will bring a feedlot industry to Saskatchewan...

Without cow calf guys????????????????????????? It is pretty simple chicken and egg theories.

Comment

Agree livestock feed will be extremely limited
                But very few crops can be cut for feed . Most grain farms will need every single acre to cover or even half fill grain contracts they can not get out of .
                It’s a perfect storm brewing

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Agree livestock feed will be extremely limited
                  But very few crops can be cut for feed . Most grain farms will need every single acre to cover or even half fill grain contracts they can not get out of .
                  It’s a perfect storm brewing
                  Somebody say storm? Oh wrong type..... fml....

Comment

My canola at home looks not bad given that the last rain of 1/2 in was June 14. Only a couple of pavement wetters since then. Sprayed a field of canola west of here for a guy that did not get much on the 14 th and he wanted afsc to come and assess it but they are way behind as well. I figure 1-2 bu. Other canola out there is done as well. I have some oats out that way and hope it will produce something. Early wheat in the area, that looked good earlier, is showing lots of stress now especially in the poor areas. The hay crops in the area are not bad judging by the bales on the field. One guy I talked too a mile away from me was about half of last year, but they had an excellent crop last year.

Comment

We have an average-ish crop here in the Regina strip off 6 inch of rain and a handful of fluky 2 tenth showers. The crop has really dug into the heavy clay for moisture and there is some down there. Wheat seems to be fairing the worst now. Some brownish patches showing up in the early stuff. Short, just over knee high but there are decent heads thinking of filling.

Canola made it through and there are pods. But some of the top pods look a little heat blasted so dont expect they will make it.

Just drove home from Calgary yesterday Disaster most of the way. Cattle grazing table tops, no hay, say guys hauling water to the pasteur.

Comment

Canola is Dekalb new 99sc.
                        Seems ok now but who knows.
                        Bly head, but will it fill?

Comment

Comment

Small area.
                            2 miles north our bly is burning to shit.
                            Rite at Fosston they got a 1.5 inch dump a few weeks ago that we missed.
                            That tiny swath has the best.

Comment

Caught rain yesterday on a section. it's a good one so will tell how it improves or just fills the crop. Then another 7 quarters got I guess a half on Sunday.

Yard got 1/2 tenth yesterday so done and damage will continue.

I have to say south of town will win hands down this year over the north. the north is not getting its usual rain.

South some real nice looking and should fill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...