• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 02 trench work showed the C soils dry to 6-8 ft if I remember correctly. Multi year dry had all sloughs dry.
    Looking at a trench now, A soil dry. B soils moist not wet LoL. Roots are in it. And C soils quite damp. Sloughs shrinking.
    Explains my findings with my moisture probe.
    No guess on yields as of today.
    Two weeks ago I said %25 less than average. Today looking like half.
    Based on forecast possibly a third or worse.
    Peas and wheat are 40 ish today but wont fill all the berries. Canola did not branch so 30-40 as a guess today but will not fill what's there.
    So, losing bushels every day.
    WAG? A bushel a day??
    Starting to see odd early cereal turning. Bad sign.
    Nothing but air in most of my bins this winter.

A lot of healthy looking cereals all along all things considered. But husbandry practices becoming more evident every day. Half the effort, half the yield this year.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      No guess on yields as of today.
      Two weeks ago I said %25 less than average. Today looking like half.
      Based on forecast possibly a third or worse.
      Peas and wheat are 40 ish today but wont fill all the berries. Canola did not branch so 30-40 as a guess today but will not fill what's there.
      If I had to guess yields...

Durum:13-15 if it fills. Heat and lack of precip could possibly still take another 50% of that. Some fields in area are already sub-10.

Wheat: dont have any. Best I've seen could possibly pull 17-18, but at least 50% of that is likely to disappear. Theres no way current soil moisture can support that amount of growth.

Canola: dont have any. Worst I've seen will be under 5, best is maybe 15. ALOT of places that failed to bolt, and plenty of aborted pods.

Peas: maybe I'll average close to 10? Thinking 7-8 more likely, possibly as bad as 5. Some area fields have upwards of 25%-30% that failed to even pod.

Lentils: no idea... they look *ok*, but damn are they short!

Grass: anything that's established resembles the surface of mars...

Comment

July 4th

July 13th

What survived the heat dome week is slipping now. Heard a neighbour had an agronomist out to do a yield prediction on their canola, 16 bpa. Local barley is coming down for silage, not sure if it’s fields that were meant for it or trying to salvage a grain field.

Comment

The idiot was just on the radio stating western canada will grow a average of 37.6 BPA crop of canola.

With 22 mil acres that’s a 18.7 mt ducking crop.

Come on Niel are you totally fu king nuts or just playing a game.

Canola isn’t outstanding even on areas with rain.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            The idiot was just on the radio stating western canada will grow a average of 37.6 BPA crop of canola.

There are irrigation canola crops that won't make 38 bpa FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post

Canola is Dekalb new 99sc.
              Seems ok now but who knows.
              Bly head, but will it fill?
              Your barley looks good compared to mine and others in the area. The heads are just partly out of the boot and just sitting there. I have seen this happen before in a dry year. Hopefully you have somewhat descent crop!

Comment

Media needs to put a positive spin, not to scare the masses of a potential food shortage..

Comment

In the spots where crops are burnt and dead, how the hell do weeds grow?

Comment

farm link solutions
                    1-877-376-5465
                    call and ask them what their game is
                    surely to christ, no one can be this out of touch ???
                    if you subscribe , ask them where they are getting these ludicrous yield projections from , more importantly , WHY?
                    Last edited by Guest; Jul 15, 2021, 13:29.

Comment

So only 3bu off last yrs bin buster.

Un tarp the fans, she will be going in storage until seeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        Media needs to put a positive spin, not to scare the masses of a potential food shortage..
                        Galen Weston is licking his lips at this one....will be far more lucrative than the last scam.

Comment

Crop Insurance pulling the plug on some canola.

Comment

Local buyers getting calls all day re buyouts. Not one bu being sold.
                            My bank contact getting nervous.
                            Hearing some companies being quite fugly on their buyback costs and fees.
                            Get out in front boys.

Comment

I talked with one of the line companies about our 5.50 feed barley contract. Anything less than 50lbs per bushel will have steep discounts, they will tell us at harvest how steep they will be. To do a buyout today would cost $1.65 per bushel.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                                Cattle guys getting deferred tax relief isn't the answer....some of the herds are priceless...they need feed.

I feel for the cow calf guy..its going to decimate the industry...good thing the morons Stewart and Marit think irrigation will bring a feedlot industry to Saskatchewan...

Without cow calf guys????????????????????????? It is pretty simple chicken and egg theories.
                                I will be cutting some of my crop for green feed. No choice now. However, I will NOT be waiting for crop insurance to drag their ass on assessing my said crop. I have to preserve what feed quality their may be also. Check strips , ok , but I can't wait forever on the other end.

Next year I am seeding my triticale FIRST!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...