• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought Watch 2021

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28mm of rain here in my part of the Peace since May 1. Starting 7+ days of 38C. Starting cutting hay at mid-shin high, normal is waist height. If I wait it will just mature further at this height. Grains look good only because of good spring soil conditions, I expect it to look poor in a week.
    New alfalfa seeding is a total fail. Prices will be good but if you don’t get the production then you aren’t winning.

Comment

We’ve been fortunate so far for moisture and crops and grass looks good but if the forecast heat comes in the next 5 days we’ll be needing a cool off and rain or it’ll be serious. Older hay fields suck while new ones need a drink soon. Planted wheat deep the first and thought it kinda sucked but now it looks alright but pulled plants and it was rooting deep. It knows more than me. Biggest worry is canola. Sprayed all my canola a second time the other night. Most is cabagging and see odd buds so within a week or so will see some bolts. Some neighbours earlier planted is bolting. This heat blast this early could do damage but more concerned later if we don’t get a rain and cooler temps when flowering. You’d have to be a fool to think the prairies will pull off much of a crop this year.

Comment

East central Sask is just holding on, we need rain soon or it will be average at best. The barley is already burning up on all the high ground and the canola leaves are cupping and blue. Going to have to hope for the rain lotto. For those that make hay it looks like lots of miles between bales.

Comment

Getting quite dry here in NE Sask. Because of the snow last winter we have had the moisture to get this far with the crop still looking decent. Since the snow melt there has been very little rain here. Never a rain of more than half inch. If this coming week of heat shows up without any rain the crop will go backwards and yields will be cut for sure just not sure how much.

So after 18 years of hating rain I am back to wishing for rain!

Fricken climate keeps changing.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
            the canola leaves are cupping and blue
            Seeing alot of that here, I wouldn't say were in drought just yet,,, but I was wondering if that was an early sign of Aster Yellows?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
              Seeing alot of that here, I wouldn't say were in drought just yet,,, but I was wondering if that was an early sign of Aster Yellows?
              Cupping and blue means drought here. Usually see it in the poor land first. The good land has 2-3 weeks. Tick tock....

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                Getting quite dry here in NE Sask. Because of the snow last winter we have had the moisture to get this far with the crop still looking decent. Since the snow melt there has been very little rain here. Never a rain of more than half inch. If this coming week of heat shows up without any rain the crop will go backwards and yields will be cut for sure just not sure how much.

So after 18 years of hating rain I am back to wishing for rain!

Fricken climate keeps changing.
                If seldom says it’s dry , it’s *** dry lol

Comment

Made 1 field of hay about 40% of last yr cut another and it is worse i think,will know in a couple days when i bail.
                  I see some cutting hay that looks like a waste of fuel and time.

Comment

20 year cycle

Comment

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lytton-b-c-just-broke-the-record-for-hottest-temperature-ever-recorded-in-canada-1.5487906 https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lytton-b-c-just-broke-the-record-for-hottest-temperature-ever-recorded-in-canada-1.5487906

So now the heat wave is a 20 year cycle. Last year weather was blamed on lack of sunspots. Then heat island effect. Btw Lytton only has 250 people so someheatisland. Anything to deny climate change and repeated warnings by scientists of more extreme weather and more variability both hot and cold.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        20 year cycle
                        New math??
                        Drought 1988-89, 1933- late 30's
                        Neither are factors of 20. You're not telling fish stories to your grandkids here

Comment

LOL you two jumped right on that .
                          You can’t deny climate change , always been there

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                            Anything to deny climate change and repeated warnings by scientists of more extreme weather and more variability both hot and cold.
                            A single hot day is just a meaningless data point in the 4.6B yr history of our planet. Not proof of anything.

Climate cult jumping on anything they can.

In 1988 we had the entire month of June and July over 30. the crop and hay was done by June 5 and we were hauling water into the pasture. And there sure as hell wasnt 6 spring frosts that yr.

Lets see global warming take out that yr. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Bin Lurking View Post
                              New math??
                              Drought 1988-89, 1933- late 30's
                              Neither are factors of 20. You're not telling fish stories to your grandkids here
                              Nothing in nature is exact but ....

Do your own math
                              20 year cycle not far off , maybe ask austrandia ... that should be easy for you

Comment

We have some heat now because we don't have all that pollution in the air no vapor trails etc lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...