• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to talk peas and desease?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no real answers other than rotation and stay away from some chems.

When we started continuous cropping/zerotill, we were in a 1 in 2 rotation with pulses, as were the majority in our area. Yields dropped off as we went along, even before aphanomyces showed up. Went to a 1 in 4 for pulses and noticed our yields are better.

Aphanomyces have been in our area for nearly 15 years now. There seem to be no concrete answers other than lengthen your rotation and stay away from peas. Once its bad enough to affect lentils, you're in big trouble. Peas are the most sensitive to it. Hail on a previous pulse crop will accelerate it too. I've seen some damage from Heat, and to a lesser extent Viper.

We've stuck to a 1 in 4 rotation for pulses for a while, and are looking to go to a 1 in 5. We have a quarter that hasn't seen a pulse in 8 years now that we plan to put a pulse on next year, so we'll see what comes of that. 🤷*♂️

Comment

Soybeans would help ..but they like water and heat....

Can't some of their genetic makeup be injected into a pea variety for disease resistance and better roots?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Ten years between pea crops?
        That's niche. Not rotation.

Like I said, give me root rot resistance in the genes, not a poor remedy in a jug.
        I think the problem is in the jug and then they want you to buy another jug to fix it. But it can’t

Comment

It would be interesting to have Pulse growers do features on how “farmers” in other regions of the world farm with pulses in rotation, China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Argentina, etc
          Call it a case study, help Sask farmers understand our SWOT, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities , threats.

Rain fall
          Seeding dates, rates
          Fertilizers
          Chemicals
          Equipment used
          Local challenges, disease, insects, transportation
          Yields
          How and where do they sell or market

Show pricing

Comment

It’s obvious a biological problem, not climate, moisture, fertility, varieties, etc

The U of S College of Ag and Bio resources ?

Comment

Maybe spend less on plant breeding for yield maybe go for breeding desease resistance and rhe yield will be there. We grow great yields when it’s not an issue.

I m sure they must spray but most of rhe internet info I can find in India etc is that they hand weed the crop. But that can’t be everywhere there?

Comment

They should have focused on breeding fusarium / aphanomyces root rot resistance 15 years ago

Instead we have had 30 me too varieties .
                Last edited by furrowtickler; Nov 7, 2020, 07:29.

Comment

What ? Those countries dont give away their secrets like we do ? ??

Comment

I found this helpful in understanding what’s possibly going on with our soil disease “problems” here in western Canada
                    Most agronomy in western Canada won’t really acknowledge this
                    They just promote more fertility, seed treatments and fungicides .... it’s all about money and not looking at the root of the issue .
                    It may be a much simpler and cheaper fix to the issue than most want to admit.

https://www.soilfoodweb.com/

Not saying it’s a silver bullet but it is good Food for thought .
                    Last edited by furrowtickler; Nov 7, 2020, 14:48.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...