• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to talk peas and desease?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It comes down to soil health and soil bacteria and fungus ratios that enhance to proliferation of the majority of fusarium issues like root rot that lead to many other diseases we are all facing . And what causes those imbalances. Anaerobic and compacted soils are a big culprit along with certain herbicides according to many studies.
    Seed treatments and fungicides are band aid treatments to that issue for the most part and getting very expensive.
    Tillage , crop rotation and proper fertility all play a role but don’t address the root of the problem per say .
    Getting a balance of good soil bacteria in relation to the fungus pathogens is what is really needed and the only way to really combat fusarium problems in all crops IMO. No different that good / bad bacteria ratio in the guts of humans .
    What’s needed is a test for those ratios in the soil then figure out how to address that first . I don’t believe there is one to date , or one that is readily available or affordable for farmers ?
    We have tried many things to try and combat root rots but expenses add up quickly and soon your costs will outweigh any profit . Long crop rotation only viable solution currently other than trying to regain soil health . There are a few products available that show promise in regaining better soil health that may help.
    Treflan does seem to have an effect on root rots in pulses . The Rack has done several years of work on that but it still does not address the basic issue that’s going on in the soil . Will have to look back at the studies they did to see if it was a reduction in fusarium root rots or aphanomyces.
    When good soil bacteria get diminished, bad soil funguses tend to take over. From there it becomes very complex and expensive to suppress and crop stressors( drought , excess moisture , herbicide damage like flashing) become vastly exaggerated. The bigger the imbalance the worse the diseases like fusarium and aphanomyces take over it seems .
    Proper fertility before and or foliars after do mitigate a lot of the plant stress but does not truly address the underlying issue from where it starts in an unhealthy soil environment.

Comment

Sask pulse has some good info here ..
      https://saskpulse.com/files/technical_documents/191115_Fusarium_RR_in_Pulses-compressed.pdf

Comment

There are several studies like this , some done several years ago .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5770481/

This is one of many but what studies are valid and not is very debatable.
        Take it for what’s its worth , some of this has been fairly heavily scrutinized so take from it what you will .

Regardless of the debate it does point back to soil health and its importance on disease severity ... that’s the point .
        If we can learn to mitigate unfavourable soil bacteria / fingus relationships then we can get a handle on some of these problems cost effectively?
        Not sure but one needs to start somewhere.
        Trying to fix the problem with more inputs after the fact will get us no where as producers .

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy48 View Post
          I don't think we necessarily need to work them black but need to work them more. No till has been done for a lot of years and we are not getting the mix of soil & residue we used to. Mother Earth & her bugs will do a lot for the soil if given the chance. Thinking it is time to go back to spiking the fields once every three or four years to mix and loosen things up as compaction has become more of an issue as well. As I heard one time about weed resistance, " Never heard of a weed becoming resistant to steel yet." Wonder if the disease issue could apply here as well.
          Thistle and quackgrass developed resistance a long time ago...

Comment

I don’t think we should have to have a 10 year rotation and second even with that when you spray and then get a wet period or dry where you miss with the sprayer the peas are a foot taller and dark green that’s nothing to do with rotation length.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              There are several studies like this , some done several years ago .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5770481/

This is one of many but what studies are valid and not is very debatable.
              Take it for what’s its worth , some of this has been fairly heavily scrutinized so take from it what you will .

Regardless of the debate it does point back to soil health and its importance on disease severity ... that’s the point .
              If we can learn to mitigate unfavourable soil bacteria / fingus relationships then we can get a handle on some of these problems cost effectively?
              Not sure but one needs to start somewhere.
              Trying to fix the problem with more inputs after the fact will get us no where as producers .
              What would spraying on decomp. Or something like it that speeds up decomposition do for soil health?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                I don’t think we should have to have a 10 year rotation and second even with that when you spray and then get a wet period or dry where you miss with the sprayer the peas are a foot taller and dark green that’s nothing to do with rotation length.
                It’s a combination of many factors

Comment

Ten years between pea crops?
                  That's niche. Not rotation.

Like I said, give me root rot resistance in the genes, not a poor remedy in a jug.
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 6, 2020, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    Ten years between pea crops?
                    That's niche. Not rotation.

Like I said, give me root rot resistance in the genes, not a poor remedy in a jug.
                    10% peas is enough for me any year

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      First time I used viper on my peas...I noticed the skips ..rep said it won't affect yield....never used it again...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        First time I used viper on my peas...I noticed the skips ..rep said it won't affect yield....never used it again...
                        i told you that two years ago

Comment

I have no answers,

- Farming in saskatchewan is about 100 years old, most of that time was 50:50 rotation
                          - maximum 25 years experience or history growing pulses

How can India, Turkey etc who have been growing pulses for centuries survived?
                          - what, how and why have they maintained pulses in rotation ?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            Spray in the dark of night... preferably when they look blue from all the dew. Efficacy on weeds is better, and the peas never look back.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              10% peas is enough for me any year
                              They're not "easy".

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                                I have no answers,

- Farming in saskatchewan is about 100 years old, most of that time was 50:50 rotation
                                - maximum 25 years experience or history growing pulses

How can India, Turkey etc who have been growing pulses for centuries survived?
                                - what, how and why have they maintained pulses in rotation ?
                                That’s something that gets overlooked big time .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...